+ Reply
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi Released! Turn your iPhone into a Wifi hotspot!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
yay tethering! i cant get it so thats cool
    Thanks

yay tethering! i cant get it so thats cool

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Exclamation anyone knows does this MyWi has SBSetting support?
    hi, anyone knows does this MyWi has SBSetting support?

from,
    j2innet

Thanks
    Oh Yeah. Thx Stealth.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

This app is so cool. My friend at work is updating his iPhone via my iPhones WiFi.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So did anyone get MyWi to work with a PSP or DS?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by highlight View Post
    So back to my question, anyone actually test sharing the wifi connection instead of 3g/edge yet? If it does, it will be definitely a buy for me.
    What you are asking for is impossible, so of course MyWi can't do it. You can't use the same network connection to both receive the 'Net and also share it. You need two separate network connections: 3G-to-WiFi, WiFi-to-Bluetooth, etc.

For example, to do this on a laptop with internal WiFI, you'd need another WiFi adapter (USB or card) in order to share one to the other. Or you could use the wired LAN connection on the laptop for 'Net access and then share it via the internal WiFi.

Since the iPhone doesn't have wired LAN, the only option would be WiFi-to-Bluetooth, and that wouldn't help you either (based on your description of what you want to do).

--
    Mike
    Last edited by Tinman; 07-15-2009 at 12:25 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinman For This Useful Post:

highlight (07-16-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'll tell you what does work: using a laptop with the iPhone 3G and MyWi tethering at Starbucks. I am doing it right now. OK, it's USB tethering, but I'm still bumping off the Starbucks/AT&T wifi that comes free with iPhone where it usually costs $$ to do so with a laptop.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dtasset For This Useful Post:

highlight (07-16-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me tellytel's Avatar
    Thanks

mine still disconnects after a min or so, even with the update. Still shows connection on networks but no internet activity.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtasset View Post
    I'll tell you what does work: using a laptop with the iPhone 3G and MyWi tethering at Starbucks. I am doing it right now. OK, it's USB tethering, but I'm still bumping off the Starbucks/AT&T wifi that comes free with iPhone where it usually costs $$ to do so with a laptop.
    That is a great news to me as long as mywi can share the wifi on iphone to a laptop. Thank you for clarifying this and also Tinman for explanation.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You don't need MyWi to do USB tethering. You could do it with just the tethering hack.

--
    Mike

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    You don't need MyWi to do USB tethering. You could do it with just the tethering hack.

--
    Mike
    But the original iphone usb tethering on tethers the 3G internet not the wifi right?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by highlight View Post
    But the original iphone usb tethering on tethers the 3G internet not the wifi right?
    Correct. I see what you did now... you could only get free WiFi with the iPhone so once you had that you shared it via USB to the laptop. Not something you'd need all of the time, but better than paying for it.

--
    Mike

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can someone clear this up? From your post it basically says you are using your Iphones wifi to share with your laptop via usb. From my understanding this CAN NOT happen from everything I read. Are you sure you are using your wifi that is hooked up to the ATT hot spot and not using the 3g connection?

So what everything I have read MyWi can not share the active wifi connection with anything since it works as a wifi hot spot itself. Does that change when it is hooked up via usb or is that still the case? Please someone clarify all of this for me.

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi i got 1 ? with this mywi app install in my iphone 3g can i share internet with another iphone that dose not have internet or an ipod touch when im not at home

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AMaench View Post
    Can someone clear this up? From your post it basically says you are using your Iphones wifi to share with your laptop via usb. From my understanding this CAN NOT happen from everything I read. Are you sure you are using your wifi that is hooked up to the ATT hot spot and not using the 3g connection?

So what everything I have read MyWi can not share the active wifi connection with anything since it works as a wifi hot spot itself. Does that change when it is hooked up via usb or is that still the case? Please someone clarify all of this for me.

Thanks
    What most people are saying is that you cannot WIFI-tether and also use WIFI to access the internet (such as Starbucks or Mcdonalds). Probably is true, though I have not tested that. Yet...
    But I am very sure USB-tethering works if you want to get your internet connection from WIFI. Most people will say that defeats the purpose since laptops nowadays all have WIFI built in, but they don't take into account most hotspots are pay-to-use which the iPhone gets around that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

just installed it on mine and it crashes after about a minute

My friend installed his but uses the USB cable to connect via the labtop and his seems fine?

EDIT:

just tried mine on the cable and it works fine, must be a wifi problem with the app which is a shame
    Last edited by Neilvx; 07-18-2009 at 09:54 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neilvx View Post
    just installed it on mine and it crashes after about a minute

My friend installed his but uses the USB cable to connect via the labtop and his seems fine?

EDIT:

just tried mine on the cable and it works fine, must be a wifi problem with the app which is a shame
    Exactly the same here. What a shame.

I had a rouge install of PDANet that wouldn't go away after uninstalling it (the icon wouldn't go away) and interestingly enough, MyWi seems to have deleted the icon for PDANet AND replaced it when I installed it today. Hmmmm... I bet there's something related here but I don't know enough yet about how to diagnose it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The real turnoff about this app is that it DOES NOT work with ANY game system. MyWi was advertised as an app that allows you to share your 3G/EDGE connection wirelessly with ANY WiFi enabled device, and it has not been doing that for me. It doesn't work with Wii, DS,PSP, or PS3!! This was my main reason for getting it, but apparently it doesn't do its job. So if any gamers want this app to get online on the go, then just forget it. This app isn't worth ten dollars to me if it can't even do what it was advertised to do, and simply get a game system online.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Worked like a charm. Thank you!!
    I have to figure out how to enable WEP security.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Been using it for awhile now. Works great!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

GellBrake'rrrr (03-19-2010)