+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS on 3.0 [redsn0w/OS X]

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by imilad Wasn't Geohot the original iphone UNLOCKER???? 'jailbreaker' mhmm..
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
    Wasn't Geohot the original iphone UNLOCKER????
    'jailbreaker' mhmm..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Originally Posted by imilad
    Wasn't Geohot the original iphone UNLOCKER????
    Quote Originally Posted by thu6 View Post
    'jailbreaker' mhmm..
    Yes, He WAS the original unlocker!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Which Jailbreak
    With jailbreak is better red snow or purplera1n?

Thanks

PurpleRa1n

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dknlego View Post
    With jailbreak is better red snow or purplera1n?
    Wasn't there a post saying that purplera1n didnt have some essential files for like winterboard or something like that? I thought i remember reading it on this site.

All i know is that i followed the instructions exactly and it only took a couple of minutes to jailbreak my phone with redsnOw 0.8. Been using it for a day now and works flawlessly. I trust dev team more than anyone else but that i just me.

Thanks

LOL, your info is wrong. Saurik had to update mobile substrate and winterboard for it to work on ANY 3gs whether it was jailbroken with redsn0w or purplera1n. FYI-Redsn0w is using the exploit Geohot and the Chronic Devv team discovered...Geohot is also the one who discovered the first iPhone Unlock

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    On August 21, 2007, Hotz announced on his blog that he had successfully executed and demonstrated the first Hardware unlock of the iPhone using a technique that was developed by a team of five hackers, Hotz being one of this team. The unlock allowed the iPhone to be used with any SIM card.[4] He later posted the team's 10-step method on his blog.[5] Although other purported unlocks appeared earlier, Hotz claims theirs was the first to allow full functionality of the iPhone with almost any GSM wireless carrier without any external hardware, although the process requires experience with soldering and software.[citation needed]
    Hotz, who had bought his first iPhone on its launch date, was originally associated with the iPhone Dev unlocking team, but was later banned from the team.[6] He estimates that he spent more than 500 hours working on the unlock. He said his primary aim was to enable other users to easily unlock their own iPhones.[citation needed]
    According to his blog, Hotz traded his unlocked 4GB iPhone to Terry Daidone, the founder of Certicell, for a Nissan 350Z car and three 8GB iPhones.[7] Hotz said he wanted to give the iPhones to the other members of the team who created the hack with him.[citation needed] Hotz's hardware based unlocking technique has largely been replaced by software unlocking that does not require disassembly of the iPhone.[8]
    George Hotz recently developed the first software unlock for the iPhone's new Bootloader Version 4.6 that was previously only achievable with a "testpoint based hardware unlock" [9]
    George gave the iPhone Dev Team an exploit he found in the at+stkprof command that they used as an injection vector for their yellowsn0w payload, which resulted in the first software iPhone 3G unlock. In the sourcecode for YellowSn0w, the 3G unlock daemon, it reads "thanks geohot for at+stkprof 02.28 injection vector".
    On July 3, 2009, Hotz announced purplera1n, the first public software exploit for jailbreaking the iPhone 3GS. Details were posted on his blog
    Last edited by Melech518; 07-10-2009 at 12:29 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default HAcktivate
    So using this redsn0w can I hacktivate iPhone 3GS. If so how? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am not having the official carrier nor do i plan to get one.

Green Apple
    Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone MJedi's Avatar
    Thanks

I jailbroke and unlocked my 3GS, and it seemed to work since I was able to use my T-mobile SIM and call. However, the 3GS stopped detecting my Wi-Fi network. I tried resetting the iPhone network settings, Airplane method, but no luck. I put my AT&T SIM back in, and the Wi-Fi worked again. I guess there are still bugs in ultrasn0w. The only consolation was that I was able to activate MMS.

Still waiting for a stable unlocking method. However, I think I will be staying with AT&T. The 3G speed spoiled me. Why T-mobile USA uses different 3G frequencies from the rest of the world is beyond me. So frustrating.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

YES!!!! I missed this part and almost pulled my hair out trying to figure out why I couldn't get things to work. Restore your 3GS from the downloaded firmware and THEN begin this process. Saved me from insanity. After that, redsn0w worked faster and easier than any jailbreak I have ever performed.

Fel
    Thanks

Noob question:

If I do this, will all of my stuff still be on the phone that was there prior (sms text messages, VOICEMAILS, photos, etc.)?

Thanks for your help. Any advice to a "first time jailbreaker" would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Last edited by Fel; 07-12-2009 at 07:35 PM.

sbd
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Had the same issue that a few other members were having with the OSx version. Once I used the Win version it Jailbroke the phone just fine.

Thanks

whats up guys....great post. I hope someone can help me here....i did everything mentioned and followed the instructions word by word. I get everything done correctly and my iPhone seems jailbroken but when i try to open Cydia it crashes, it seems to want to open but then closes whithin half a second. I tried the process several times and even restored to original 3.0 to jailbreak again but nothing....i installed Icy and that works. Any help will be appreciated. OHHH when i install anything from Icy it does not work on the Iphone.
    ROBERT

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

anyone know if skype over 3g works with redsn0w jailbreak?? it didn't work with purplera1n

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Are you using a iphone 3g or a iphone 3gs?

Thanks

hey guys any help will be helpful........i jailbroke my iPhone 3Gs but when i try to open Cydia it crashes...wont open at all. I installed Icy as well and that opens but if i download anything from Icy it does not work on the Iphone.
    ROBERT

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roberto07104 View Post
    hey guys any help will be helpful........i jailbroke my iPhone 3Gs but when i try to open Cydia it crashes...wont open at all. I installed Icy as well and that opens but if i download anything from Icy it does not work on the Iphone.
    Re-Jailbreak and dont click on Icy, install Cydia only. Cydia will then work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lilskaterpunk View Post
    Re-Jailbreak and dont click on Icy, install Cydia only. Cydia will then work.
    i tried that and nothin.....Cydia and Icy are still there.....im in the process of restoring my phone....then i will jailbreak again with cydia only. Will post results........thanks
    ROBERT

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i did this but it breaks the Nike+... maybe i will jb my phone again later when i wont need my Nike+ link. oh wells... maybe they'll have a fix for this soon.

OLD INFO I forgot where to get this again. Link?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roberto07104 View Post
    i tried that and nothin.....Cydia and Icy are still there.....im in the process of restoring my phone....then i will jailbreak again with cydia only. Will post results........thanks
    What u just said, is what I meant to do lol Let me know if it works. Cydia install only

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lilskaterpunk For This Useful Post:

roberto07104 (07-15-2009)