Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS Unlocked!

update: wifi is a little borky, but seems to be ok so far. t-mobile access is stable

Quote Originally Posted by ej3ffrey View Post
    ya, i had mine unlocked when purplera1n came out. the airplane mode trick works to get signal and wifi working. other than that, ultrasn0w works exactly like it did on 3g. i have tmobile btw
    Did you use your t-mobile sim card while jailbreaking?
    I tried jailbreaking mine, but it didn't work. I wasn't using at&t sim card for jailbreak... Is it the reason it didn't work?

iPhone? More like MyPhone bootleg's Avatar
    Thanks

mac version worked sooooooooo fast. easiest jailbreak i've ever used. (t-mobile in california)

Question Hacktivation possible??
    Quote Originally Posted by ggab View Post
    I'm in the exact same boat. I was able to locally sell my 16GB 3G for $340 (even though it was a little scratched up). I'm going to miss the 3G speeds when I cancel! I'm going to use AT&T as long as I can, are you switching back to T-mobile right now?

Main reason I'm asking is I can do that for myself but I want to put an ad on CL to unlock other people's iPhones and I didn't want to have to use my AT&T sim to unlock their phones.
    Hey fellas I'm in the same boat as well.. got my 3gs activated legitimately at the store and now have it unlocked. I was curious about whether the activation would last if I restored my 3gs so tried that only to find that it became deactivated and I had to re-insert the original AT&T sim to get it activated again.

However since I too plan to cancel the AT&T contract after 30 days I was wondering.. any idea on how one can hacktivate the 3gs if ever needed?

(I have a long history of having to restore my iphone after screwing around with it.)

EDIT: So I did some googling and came across a solution myself.. apparently you can hacktivate by copying a lockdown file to the iphone. see the link: http://www.ilikemyiphone.com/2009/07...ilbreakunlock/
    Last edited by ankitagarwal85; 07-06-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by privipol95 View Post
    I tried jailbreaking mine, but it didn't work. I wasn't using at&t sim card for jailbreak... Is it the reason it didn't work?
    the way i did it:
    1. i restored 3.0 stock
    2. put in the att sim to activate
    3. then removed it
    4. jailbreak
    5. untrasn0w
    6. airplane mode ON
    7. reboot
    8. airplane move OFF
    9. done!

your results may vary, but my t-mo coverage works, its the wife that has intermittent dropouts
    Last edited by hydroabiscuit; 07-06-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: more info

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ankitagarwal85 View Post
    Hey fellas I'm in the same boat as well.. got my 3gs activated legitimately at the store and now have it unlocked. I was curious about whether the activation would last if I restored my 3gs so tried that only to find that it became deactivated and I had to re-insert the original AT&T sim to get it activated again.

However since I too plan to cancel the AT&T contract after 30 days I was wondering.. any idea on how one can hacktivate the 3gs if ever needed?

(I have a long history of having to restore my iphone after screwing around with it.)
    I believe you have to wait until the iPhone Dev Team release a updated version of Redsn0w which includes the ability to activate carriers not supported by Apple (T-Mobile) or you have to get a pre-paid AT&T sim card I believe......

Quote Originally Posted by ankitagarwal85 View Post
    We'll be fine when the dev team releases their jailbreak. They'll do it right and have an option to hacktivate. I'm confident they'll fix ultrasn0w to work well with the 3GS. The video that planetbeing did showed ultrasn0w working well.

Quote Originally Posted by hydroabiscuit View Post
    your results may vary, but my t-mo coverage works, its the wife that has intermittent dropouts
    I hate when the damn wife drops out. LOL

So you all know...You can use ANY At&t sim card to activate the phone. It does not matter if the sim is no longer activated. I have a pile of At&t sim card in my drawer I obtained from friends and family members over the years when they get new phones or new sims. The old sims work to activate the phone everytime, the phone just shows no service bars. If your contract is ending or you cancel your contract, the old sim will still work to activate the iPhone.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kruejl View Post
    I have been a T-Mobile customer for a while now. I walked into my Apple store and bought a 16gb 3GS on a new AT&T account just for the phone. Came home, jailbroke and unlocked it.
    I'll cancel my AT&T account after 30 days so I figure it will probably cost about $475.00 total for my 3GS. I put my 16GB 3G on craigslist about 3 hours ago and already have two people interested for $350.
    Dude try Ebay ,i sold my 16 3G fro 550$

Quote Originally Posted by darkcloud28 View Post
    Dude try Ebay ,i sold my 16 3G fro 550$
    Uh how long ago? They go for about $350 now. You lucked out if you sold it for that much in the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by privipol95 View Post
    yes, i had the tmobile sim in the whole time... you need to be activated before hand for the jailbreak to work tho.

Quote Originally Posted by ggab View Post

I hate when the damn wife drops out. LOL

Yeah, gotta toggle her airplane mode on/off once in a while

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    F# I upgraded before all the warnings... I should know better. O Well I have faith in the dev team.

I done want to unlock.... I just want to jailbreak. Is there now way....
    I might be a while... You are basically SOL until a new exploit is found. I don't suppose you saved your iBEC and iBSS files when you upgraded to 3.1?

Quote Originally Posted by Kruejl View Post
    I just hid Freeze with SBSettings.
    Quote Originally Posted by thu6 View Post
    feel free to delete the Freeze app with Cydelete. its pretty much taking useless space.
    I didn't know about Cydelete, thanks. Deletes Cydia apps from Springboard like App Store apps, awesome.

However, it doesn't work on Freeze since it was not installed with Cydia.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gonzok View Post
    However, it doesn't work on Freeze since it was not installed with Cydia.
    YES IT DOES!! Why would people say it works when it doesn't. Go to Settings and turn on Non Cydia Deletion from the Cydelete menu.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

sorry to stray OT. but as far as going to an apple store and getting a new contract... just to get a 3G-S

how long do i have to keep the contract to keep the phone?? Should i just keep it for 30 days? then cancel and say im going to another carrier? 175 for ETF really isn't that bad and it would be a lot cheaper than paying for the full service for 24 months... if someone could shed some light on the topic i would greatly appreciate it, please pm me or i guess post back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    So you all know...You can use ANY At&t sim card to activate the phone. It does not matter if the sim is no longer activated. I have a pile of At&t sim card in my drawer I obtained from friends and family members over the years when they get new phones or new sims. The old sims work to activate the phone everytime, the phone just shows no service bars. If your contract is ending or you cancel your contract, the old sim will still work to activate the iPhone.
    Thanks for clearing that up. So does that mean I can use the original iPhone AT&T sim that came with the iPhone to activate the iPhone after say 3 months, by when I have terminated my AT&T contract and so the sim is obviously not active??

Alternatively I also have an AT&T prepaid sim card which is no longer active as I havent used it in over 3 months. Would this work as well?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

this still doesnt cover how to hacktivate without an at&t prepaid sim.
    gay.

Default Dev team pwnage tool or quickpwn for 3gs
    When will it release? I got the 3gs on ebay can activate with out at&t account

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Do a search for 3GS hacktivation. There is a thread about it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast