Page 1 of 30 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS Jailbreak purplera1n Released! [Windows]

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Default iPhone 3GS Jailbreak purplera1n Released! [Windows]

Geohot has released his iPhone 3GS jailbreak named purplerain. Avaialable for download here this has to be one of the easiest jailbreaks to use (if it works ).

Instructions:

1. Download purplera1n. This download is Windows only. Also it doesn't work on Windows 7. MMi user mutigers42 among others report that Windows 7 works.
    I clicked make it rain, it said "putting in recovery mode" - my phone kind of froze, didn't turn off or anything and no response, until i closed the app and unplugged the USB cable and replugged it back in - then the apple logo came on and recovery mode

After i did that, i just ran the program again - and it worked perfectly
    It IS beta so make sure you have all your data before trying to use this tool. A Mac version should be following something in the near future.

This tool is just for jailbreak and will NOT activate the phone or unlock it. Therefore, you should have an activated iPhone before following the guide.

Please backup the iPhone 3GS before following the procedure below.

2. Run purplera1n.

3. Click make it ra1n.

You should see a screen where purplera1n is connecting to your iphone.

Sadly that's as far as I get (I blame betanesssss).
    Edit: you need to have CProgram Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\iTunesMobileDevice.dll
    I'm running windows off of D drive so thats why mine didn't work. Simple making that directory and copying the file to c drive has fixed my problems.

BUT those of you lucky enough to make it all the way the remainder of the steps are as follows:

purplera1n on PC will say 'done, wait for reboot'.

4. After the iPhone boots, it will have a new app 'Freeze' with white icon.

5. Open Freeze and tap 'Install Cydia'. It will now download and install the package and then clean the installation. Wait till it says 'Finished!' and then just exit to home screen. If you still don't have cydia, reboot the phone and use freeze again.

Your iPhone 3GS is now jailbroken with Cydia installed!

The credit for this wonderful tool goes to GeoHotz! Thanks to mepp for help with screenshots!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

apoc (07-03-2009), barret752004 (07-04-2009), Deavenger (07-23-2009), dosaa20 (09-08-2009), ipirate (07-06-2009), lilskaterpunk (07-03-2009), lord1700 (07-06-2009), neonsector (07-04-2009), shoohorn0plenty (07-04-2009)

first ha and i have used it and it works but winterboard doesnt

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yea my winterboard put my phone into safemode so i'm rejailbreakin it n not downloading that i dont need it that bad so i'll b happy with free apps

Thanks

Got my phone into recovery mode, then crashed. Now my iphone is stuck in recovery mode.
    If the sun was made of baby back rips..... would you eat it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone compnerd88's Avatar
    Thanks

I have also used it and it works well......but i can also confirm Winterboard is not working

According to Saurik it is a problem with the Kernal patches of the Purplera1n jailbreak and not winterboard

-Compnerd88

EDIT: Also guys if you have problems with the program the first time (Like stuck in recovery mode etc...) Just re-run the program with your phone still connected and it should work fine....may take some tries....it is BETA
    Last edited by compnerd88; 07-03-2009 at 10:33 AM.

The PurpleRa1n 3GS jailbreak (like the unofficial 3.0 beta QuickPwn jailbreaks) is missing critical patches required for WinterBoard (etc.).about 4 hours ago from web

ADDITIONALLY, WinterBoard /will/ need work on the 3GS (new instructions), but I can't even begin looking at that until we get fixed patches.about 4 hours ago from web

twitter

does this mean you can download ultrasn0w too?
    Last edited by arram; 07-03-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yeah this is great, but we need VM_MAP!

TY GEOHOT

Stuck in recovery mode, tried 3 different machines. Vista-32 bit, vista 32bit, and vista 64 bit.

All 3 gets to wait for reboot but it never does only stays in recovery mode.

can i unlock it after its jail broken with the ultrasn0w?

DFC what you do is exit out of purplerain and keep running it clicking make it ra1n and it will work thats exactly what happened to me. let me know if it works

F'D

I'm wating for the Dev team's jailbreak and unlock
    64 GB iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 Jailbroken & Unlocked
    64 GB iPad 3 on 5.1.1 Jailbroken

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

A few pics...
    Last edited by A Retired Mod; 07-03-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Cydia doesn't install for me, at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dfc420 View Post
    Stuck in recovery mode, tried 3 different machines. Vista-32 bit, vista 32bit, and vista 64 bit.

All 3 gets to wait for reboot but it never does only stays in recovery mode.
    Welcome to the club, just had to restore mine. Not very happy about that.
    If the sun was made of baby back rips..... would you eat it?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nicallen63 For This Useful Post:

reagan5194 (07-11-2009)

tried it on Vista SP1. phone stayed in restore mode, hadda restore iTunes jobby

tried it on XP Pro SP3. purplera1n.exe crashes after clickin "make it rain"

think i'll hold out for a dev-team release....

presumably if there is access to cydia then yes? but I don't know about this purplera1n jb what with all the kernal patching issues and what not.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to suleiman For This Useful Post:

seadoo617 (07-03-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone law111's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think anyone saw, but they posted the jailbreak for Mac, Cash7c3 can you tell us why it is now taken off? Haha.
    iPhone Firmware - 4.1
    Service - AT&T
    Device - iPhone 4 BLACK 16GB

If you are getting the error stated in the op, GeoHotz has put this message on his twitter...

i hardcoded C\Program Files\\Common Files\\Apple\\Mobile Device Support\\bin\\iTunesMobileDevice.dll

That file must! be in that location for you to not get that error. I had installed xp just to do this and it was installed on my d drive... I did not have the file on this location on the c drive. As soon as i got that file there it worked!
    Last edited by thedanks; 07-03-2009 at 10:56 AM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedanks For This Useful Post:

NessLookAlike (07-03-2009), Poseidon79 (07-03-2009)

I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.7 but I have CrossOver which allows me to install Windows programs on my computer and run them anytime. I've downloaded purplera1n and installing it using CrossOver right now. I'll tell you how it goes for the mac users that can't wait.

EDIT:
    It doesn't work =/ I was able to run purplera1n but when I clicked "make it rain" it crashed. I tried installing it on Windows XP, Vista 32 bit, 64 bit and 7. Here is a screen cap of purplera1n running on Mac OS X.

1920x1200 56k Warning!

http://bayimg.com/image/daccdaaca.jpg
    Last edited by L3G4L1Z3; 07-03-2009 at 10:52 AM.

worked beautifully on XP installed cydia got my phone unlocked and im all smiles

Page 1 of 30 123 11 ... LastLast