Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone to get Micro-USB for Europe?!

If they actually do it, which they won't, I'll only have 3 words. (For them and every other company who syncs a device using a connector OTHER than mini-usb.)

ABOUT F***ING TIME.

If we keep injecting common sense into the electronics market, hell we might just make some progress!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by absolutchrys View Post
    Actually the first iPod synced through Firewire, the 2nd generation iPod introduced the 30-pin connector, but w/e.
    1st and 2nd used Firewire, actually. 3rd gen and up had the dock connector, but I think up until the "picture" iPod, they all still supported Firewire.

Matt
    WHITE 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 - 6.0.1
    Dual 1.2 Ghz G4, OS X 10.4.11
    2.2 Ghz MacBook, OS X 10.7.5
    69 Nova
    71 Duster

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Mini usbs are cool. It makes no difference to me really though. I want wifi syncing, but don't care with which type of connector it charges with. Having everyone on the same page would work if you could have one cable for all phones which is highly unlikely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dash-2 View Post
    A standard port on an Apple product?

Who do you think you are?!

*rolls eyes*
    Just got a new sig!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Mini usbs are cool. I want wifi syncing
    Well it is micro not mini they say they are going to use. Not much difference other than the micro is newer and smaller meaning everything i own that has one of the 2 is a mini... I think they will include the micro as an extra port if anything at all. The micro cannot do all the things that the 30 pin can be used for. Examples video out and so on and so forth. But I hope this does happen. And then I hope every other company on this planet follows suit with every small piece of electronics. I understand power hungrey items are not going to work off of 5vdc, but everything that can should have the same connector. That would mean bad news for Green Plug!! But on the plus side the Mophie air already has the micro usb port!!

ps... I want wifi syncing as well!! I want remote wifi syncing!! Here's to dreams!
    Last edited by phifer8390; 06-29-2009 at 11:49 PM.
    iPhone 3g 8GB; iPhone 3GS 32GB

Quote Originally Posted by Dash-2 View Post
    A standard port on an Apple product?

Who do you think you are?!

*rolls eyes*
    SD Cart Slots on Macbooks don't count?

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok I didn't realize there was a difference between micro and mini. I use the Air as well and the cable works just fine. No issues there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    SD Cart Slots on Macbooks don't count?
    That took long enough! They want these micro usb charging ports by 2010??? Chances of that are SLIM to none!

i dont see how this is going to work. the phone requires several pins pulled down to a lower voltage via a couple resistors to tell the phone its ok to pull power from usb. the 3g does at least. the 2g charges off a couple firewire pins i believe. or thats the way i understood how it works at least. it doesnt work off straight 5v usb and ground. how are they going to fit all that in to a mini usb?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Now why do I need this one so much? Its not a matter to be taken care off.cause I already have one and its fine for me don't need the new one.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Its not going to happen, no way

+1 agreed, apple will never do it
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Well , I would love to see it , but it would make sense to use a adapter for the older models and upgrade next years model to include the port along with their ipod port and then go to just micro usb after that . But who is to say that their wont be some new hook-up come along by then that could be the standard .

I think the main reason they wont do this, is that every iPod/iPhone docking station would be useless with the newer generation devices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k0mpresd View Post
    i dont see how this is going to work. the phone requires several pins pulled down to a lower voltage via a couple resistors to tell the phone its ok to pull power from usb. the 3g does at least. the 2g charges off a couple firewire pins i believe. or thats the way i understood how it works at least. it doesnt work off straight 5v usb and ground. how are they going to fit all that in to a mini usb?
    The 2g is capable of charging with firewire or usb, if they set it up with both connectors they will probably run parallel. The input voltage for all iphones is 5v off usb. that is what all usb devices are at the moment. usb 3.0 might up the voltage but i am not sure about that. I know the amperage is supposed to increase which would just charge your device faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Popple3 View Post
    I think the main reason they wont do this, is that every iPod/iPhone docking station would be useless with the newer generation devices.
    This is why they will have both connections! Like I mentioned before a standard micro usb cannot support all the extra functions the 30 pin connector is used for.

Quote Originally Posted by phifer8390 View Post
    The 2g is capable of charging with firewire or usb, if they set it up with both connectors they will probably run parallel. The input voltage for all iphones is 5v off usb. that is what all usb devices are at the moment. usb 3.0 might up the voltage but i am not sure about that. I know the amperage is supposed to increase which would just charge your device faster.
    yes, the input voltage is 5v. but you cant just hook 5v and ground up to the phone to charge it. there are other pins that must be pulled down for the phone to recognize its on a dock or plugged in to to a charger and its ok to charge from usb.

To charge an iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 2nd gen, usb data- (25) should be at 2.8v, usb data+(27) should be at 2.0v. This can be done with a few simple resistors: 33k to +5v (23) and 22k to gnd(16) to obtain 2v and 33k to +5v and 47k to gnd to obtain 2.8v. This is a "notification" to the iphone that it is connected to the external charger and may drain amps from the usb.
    source: Apple iPod and iPhone (2g, 3g) Dock Interfaces pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru

Thanks

yes, the input voltage is 5v. but you cant just hook 5v and ground up to the phone to charge it. there are other pins that must be pulled down for the phone to recognize its on a dock or plugged in to to a charger and its ok to charge from usb.

source: Apple iPod and iPhone (2g, 3g) Dock Interfaces pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru
    Very interesting. I have used many third party usb chargers and I am pretty sure they are not setup the same. So either the resistors are inside on the motherboard or it will charge without these resistors but not as efficiently because the phone does not know it can drain amps from the usb.

If anyone know more on this topic I would really like to know.
    But anyways if the resistors are inside the phone then they could still run the 2 connectors parallel and have a diode that would cancel or disable one connector if the other is already hooked up.

go to your local walmart, purchase an iphone charger, and open the connector. they dont make it the size they do because they want to. theres a few resistors and a pcb stuffed in there.

Thanks

go to your local walmart, purchase an iphone charger, and open the connector. they dont make it the size they do because they want to. theres a few resistors and a pcb stuffed in there.
    There is always going to be some resistors. They are changing 120v ac or 240v ac to 5v dc. I am just saying that on none iphone usb chargers the voltage is not on the 2 data pins, but will still charge an iphone or ipod for that matter

i have opened the connectors and matched them up with what the pinout page is referring to. it is accurate. this was on a 12v car car charger. and lol at using a resistor to drop 120v to 5v. that resistor wouldnt stand a chance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast