+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PUSH Notification for Jailbreak Apps Coming SOON

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Though the jailbroken iPhones does NOT need Push notification, it can still be pretty much useful (and fancy!) in some cases and maybe will even bring new kind of apps
    Thanks

Thumbs up PUSH Notification for Jailbreak Apps Coming SOON

Though the jailbroken iPhones does NOT need Push notification, it can still be pretty much useful (and fancy!) in some cases and maybe will even bring new kind of apps on Cydia soon.

KennyTM (the same guy who created GRiP, Growl for iPhone) has developed a small extension to MobileSubstrate - called FakePushNotification - that lets developers add push notification to their apps using some simple code. To install the extension, simply get it off the googlecode page and the files in following directories using SSH.

• Put the .dylib and the .plist to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries
    • Put the executable (FakePushNotification) to /usr/bin and chmod a+x it.
    After installing, running some simple commands from Command Line, like the one below can demonstrate the capabilities.

FakePushNotification com.yourcompany.pushEnabledApp -
    aps={
    alert={
    body = "Hello world!";
    action-loc-key = "Welcome!";
    };
    };
    ^D
    Due to the simple coding, developers can implement it in their apps easily.

NOTE: This is not the final release and may have certain bugs.

networkpx via iClarified

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

is this any step in the direction of making push work on tmo phones?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ticko View Post
    is this any step in the direction of making push work on tmo phones?
    You mean hacktivated phones? I don't think so as that's a completely different matter...

Thanks

ya this has nothing to do with getting push notification to work for hacktivated phones, i wonder when the dev team will fix this if they are even attempting to; im sure they are. the title confused me lol

Thanks

Created? Is Growl for iPhone only available in Cydia, is it on the AppStore already (and i can't find it) or is this app still not developed fully? Have been waiting for it.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    Created? Is Growl for iPhone only available in Cydia, is it on the AppStore already (and i can't find it) or is this app still not developed fully? Have been waiting for it.
    Growl for iPhone will never be on AppStore due to Apples RULES... Also, this is just a workaround for jailbreak apps to add push notification to them, nothing to do with hacktivated phones

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i have been running grip for a while now but only give me email notes. The new one is off the hook but i yet have not upgraded. I really dont know how. they say you have to shh i deb file some where and when your done just reboot, But i seen it in cydia and i installed instead of shhing. it works ok but its a older version. i dont know how to upgrade. I dont know why someone wont just host this in there repo and do updates so this could be alot easyer for people and i bet alot more people will install it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

pleasee!!!! do it fast!!!! i just upgrade my iphone for that!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coachballfirm View Post
    i have been running grip for a while now but only give me email notes. The new one is off the hook but i yet have not upgraded. I really dont know how. they say you have to shh i deb file some where and when your done just reboot, But i seen it in cydia and i installed instead of shhing. it works ok but its a older version. i dont know how to upgrade. I dont know why someone wont just host this in there repo and do updates so this could be alot easyer for people and i bet alot more people will install it.
    We are not talking about GRiP but FakePushNotification which is a MobileSubstrate extension...

iPhone? More like MyPhone jasonm253's Avatar
    Thanks

my question is when are TMOBILE users going to be able to get push notifications for regular apps. Kinda bummed that it doesn't work on tmobile network. My phone is still my ipod as of now and im rollin with the g1. I love my iphone to death but as a first gen user i need push for my aim, yahoo etc. thats the only reason i am not going back to the iphone just yet.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Ill wait till there is a final release, BETA sounds good though!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm253 View Post
    my question is when are TMOBILE users going to be able to get push notifications for regular apps. Kinda bummed that it doesn't work on tmobile network. My phone is still my ipod as of now and im rollin with the g1. I love my iphone to death but as a first gen user i need push for my aim, yahoo etc. thats the only reason i am not going back to the iphone just yet.
    If this is any help to you guys. I'm on the TMO network running 2G on the 3.0 OS, and so far all i did to get the push notification was installed Beejive 3.0 thru **********

iPhone? More like MyPhone jasonm253's Avatar
    Thanks

thru lol????????????????????????? pm me

iPhone? More like MyPhone DoocesWild's Avatar
    Thanks

This may be a silly question, but you mean on Jailbroken apps, not Jailbroken phones, right?

Jailbreaking my phone doesn't break push from AppStore Apps does it?
    -DoocesWild

Green Apple
    Thanks

this wold be wonderful
    1.1.3 JAIlbrken

ATT locked

Summerboard help

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm253 View Post
    Activate your phone with an AT&T sim after jailbreak and you will get push for apps. Borrow a friends sim or just buy one for cheap at AT&T. It does not need to be an activate sim, just an AT&T one.
    PS- I always restore and jailbreak with an AT&T sim in the phone. May be a solution to some problems or might just be a habit, but I also never have any problems that a lot of people talk about on here with unlocks and jailbreaks.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

iancdp (06-25-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

push works on my jailbreak phone. even cracked apps have push. what is dude talking about?

Thanks

Default Got excited for a minute..
    I thought the OP meant working Push Notifications for hacktivated phones. (Apparently so did a few others...)

However, so solve my problem, I ordered a at&t SIM from eBay. Should be here soon.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Puch isn't all that, it sucks, drains battery life sooooo bad, I get 6 hours max on my iPhone and I'm not even using an app that requires Push. I only have Beejive but even when I'm not using Beejive, battery life drains.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    Puch isn't all that, it sucks, drains battery life sooooo bad, I get 6 hours max on my iPhone and I'm not even using an app that requires Push. I only have Beejive but even when I'm not using Beejive, battery life drains.
    You are confusing Push with Active Sync.

If you turn on Push for exchange then you will get the battery drain you are talking about. this is because Active sync is constantly running and "listening for updates".

The new push that is used for apps is more akin to the blackberry push in which most of the service is done on apple servers for listening and it's pushed to the device (without the device needing to constantly be checking for updates.)

Turn you push email off and leave the bjive notifications on. your battery life should improve.
    If i say something stupid I apologize. If i say something smart: "RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH".
    And if i help you, please hit the Thanks!