+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS Performance Results

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
There is a huge difference from my 2g to the 3gs. As for the videos you can transfer them via windows explorer for pc or email them from your phone.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There is a huge difference from my 2g to the 3gs. As for the videos you can transfer them via windows explorer for pc or email them from your phone.
    Last edited by krazy4me2bme; 06-21-2009 at 10:03 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to krazy4me2bme For This Useful Post:

swpelchat (06-21-2009)

What's Jailbreak? hotrod54chevy's Avatar
    Thanks
    in my honest opinion, i think the real question we should be asking here is if there are really that many jailbroken apps out there that would be worth bogging down the 3G S with. Sure when the 2G and 3Gs came out they were new and apps were a new concept, and no one really made any except committed folks either on the dev team or right here at the mmi. Now with the advent of the SDK, i feel that Apple's official apps are catching up quickly. this is coming from a guy who currently has a jailbroken 2G on t-mobile, but i'll be switching over to legit just for the 3G S. i'm tired of waiting for the ok before i upgrade, and i believe at this point the official apps are enough for me now. Originally i unlocked to try to save money and ended up paying more when my phone had screen problems. I'm sure others want a jailbreak to come just for an unlock, and if you have a carrier loyalty that is its own thing and i can't argue with that. you like your carrier and that should be enough to entitle you to unlocking it. So i'm not asking should we unlock. I'm just asking if you all agree with me that Apple is improving by leaps and bounds and maybe DOESN'T need as much help from the hackers as they once did. I understand that app development is something that is somewhat hacker in nature, so please take my rant with the grain of salt it is meant to be taken with. All i know is that i've personally played with a 3G S with wifi off and i personally couldn't tell the difference. It IS THAT FAST. both with app loading and web surfing. Like i said, sorry for the rant, i just felt like asking this out loud as clear as i possibly can. Thanks!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hotrod54chevy For This Useful Post:

swpelchat (06-21-2009)

Thanks

that is a very valid rant you just had bro and yeah i definately noticed a hell of a difference in speed...like you said there wasnt really any difference between the speed of wifi and 3g on the new 3gs....the camera and the compass definatley are very useful and just think of all the stuff that can be done with that set of api's alone. I think this comming week and the next few after that we will see some badass apps come out that will push the new hardware.
    Last edited by swpelchat; 06-21-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: figured out how to change my signature...its been a while. LOL
    16gb iPhone4 black

If I helped you in anyway please hit thank you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone salayyad's Avatar
    Thanks

hotrod got a point. im not sure if ill jailbreak my 3gs. it always slowed my phone down when i jb my 3g. oh and @ swpelchat i got iphoto 06 still do i have to update to a newer version. if so ill just send it in an email for the time being my *** still hurts after buying the 3gs.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

As with the previous posters, I think the 3GS is a fantastic upgrade. In addition to dramatically better speed and battery life, the biggest difference I've noticed is that my phone doesn't slow down over the course of the day after running a bunch of different apps.

I did quite a bit of testing on my 3G, both Stock & Jailbroken. After a half day or so of switching between apps, messaging, email, and phone calls, the 3G almost always ran noticeably slower. Memory clearing apps like MemoryInfo sometimes helped, but more often didn't, so I generally rebooted once a day to get back full performance.

Now I used my 3GS ALOT since Friday, playing games, taking pictures and videos, playing with MMS (yes, I got that working) and so on. I haven't rebooted at all and it still runs as fast as it did on Friday. Memory Info still shows almost 80MB free. With my 3G, I was lucky if I had 20MB free by midday.

I *almost* don't feel the need to jailbreak this phone. The only things I really miss are WinterBoard, SSH, and TrickerThreeG. (OK, I miss SBSettings and Categories a bit too)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Current speed on the 3G S is nothing now..once it's jailbroken and devs find a way to use the full 833 MHz processor, along with 720p HD..THAT sir will be made of win

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swpelchat View Post
    like you said there wasnt really any difference between the speed of wifi and 3g on the new 3gs.
    What speeds are you getting? Download the speedtest.net app (free from the app store) and post 3G and Wifi results please.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow....3GS laid out the Pre!
    I thought it would be closer but guess not! Glad I now own the new #1 smartphone on the planet.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I like all of the posts where people are saying a few seconds here and there doesn't matter. Perhaps to YOU it does not. As a person who browses 1-2 hours every day I save multiple minutes of my time DAILY. To some people it is worth it, to others it is not. Please stop trying to justify why YOU don't need the added boost of the 3GS. I am happy that you are happy with your 3G. That just made it an even better investment for you!

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    What speeds are you getting? Download the speedtest.net app (free from the app store) and post 3G and Wifi results please.
    I didn't know this existed. I <3 U my friend!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 06-22-2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

My results from T-Mobile this morning:

And Wifi:
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^Your 3G is faster than my broadband
    I want a 3GS now but I just spent £1500 on a MacBook Pro, I guess it's about to hit eBay soon!!!!!!!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

3GS sound like a good piece of hardware. Has the material of the glass on the screen changed from the 3G?
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks

The material is still glass but it has a coating to stop fingerprints.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sogo View Post
    weak sauce
    As opposed to Ketchup or BBQ?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exo128 View Post
    Current speed on the 3G S is nothing now..once it's jailbroken and devs find a way to use the full 833 MHz processor, along with 720p HD..THAT sir will be made of win
    This would be a good reason to jailbreak but then battery life is reduced greatly.... i wonder if it would also produce way too much heat would want my processor burning through my pants lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exo128 View Post
    did you ever see the 3G run at 600mhz (like it can)? no, and that´s for reason

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    To all new 3gs owners: After you jb, install what u need to install, your phone will slow down after a while. It's a mini computer, and restoring it and then jailbreaking will cause to hard drive to slow down a bit. Fine product though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wonder if they compared 3Gs against 3G with 3.0 or with 2.2.1...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theREALpeter View Post
    ?? Really ??
    I'm just saying that like your pc at home, if your ever format it and then install windows. Your pc operates fast in the beginning, but after a while it tends to slow down. So the new iphone boots up in less than 20 sec, some **** like that? Don't be pissed if one day it takes 25, 30, or a min. Don't worry man, if this is your 1st iphone then enjoy it, you got the FASTEST iphone yet.... Yet. I have the 3g, but I'm not dropping $800.00 outright for a 3gs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you throw out the slashdot.org (statistical outlier) the advantage of the 3gs over the pre is only 11%.

Really this set of data is not a very conclusive test, the pre was actually faster loading 3 of the 9 websites.