+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS Performance Results

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
alright im not getting this how does loading a website have anything to do with the actually phones speed wouldn't it not change because were still running the same network?
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

alright im not getting this how does loading a website have anything to do with the actually phones speed wouldn't it not change because were still running the same network? i dont get this at all yeah the phones processers are twice as fast but why the hell would it make everything else signifactally faster

Green Apple
    Thanks

I bought one on launch day, the difference to my previous iPhone 3G is staggering. Makes those previously tedious tasks like switching between Mail and Safari painless - all the more useful especially when using cut and paste.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The 3G is fast... but after you jailbreak it.. load a bunch of apps.. load a bunch of themes.. load more mobilesubstrate apps... it runs out of system resources and starts to LAG REALLY BAD. The true test will be after the 3GS is jailbroken and we can start loading it up with a bunch of stuff to test it under "pressure". Waits...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanJan View Post
    alright im not getting this how does loading a website have anything to do with the actually phones speed wouldn't it not change because were still running the same network? i dont get this at all yeah the phones processers are twice as fast but why the hell would it make everything else signifactally faster
    Web pages need to be rendered, and a faster processor makes all the difference. Also, the new OS 3.0 has a faster javascript engine - coupled with the 3GS's faster CPU, the result is that web pages load about as fast as on a desktop browser.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just got my mom to upgrade her blackberry 8300 to a 3GS - at which point I'll swap my 3g for hers. She's been dying to use my phone forever, and for her usage, she'll never know what shes missing. Best part about it - I offered my card to cover the expenses? She slapped my hand and said Happy Father's Day! Now I just have to wait the 7-14 days for the store to have my white 3GS 16G in stock - which if im lucky, while allow the GS jailbreak to be all set by the time it arrives.

It's good to be the king.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanJan View Post
    Cuz there will always be a bottleneck somewhere.. If changing the CPU helps the browser render pages faster.. then there is your answer.. Network speed is only one factor.

Thanks

On WiFi the 3GS is a lot faster than the 3G - Why?
    Download speeds are normally the bottleneck and they haven't changed - unless I am mistaken.
    Can this all be down to rendering?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ive got 1 2g iPhone, 2 3g iPhones, and 2(now 1 cause one is sold on ebay) 3g S iPhones and 2 Google G1's. And the specs on the T-Mobile G1 are complete bullsh*t!!! Ive compared them both on wifi (3gS and G1) and they are about equal... And with the CPU overclocked at 527mhz and 256mb of swap space on an 8gig SDmicro card on the G1, the G1 walks away from the iPhone 3gS.. (Ill try and get some times up next time im on wifi....)

But I think the creator of that table needs to get his facts straight....

And all I can say is that I am very dissapointed in the 3gS (Apple is just trying to make more money...) they could have a least been a little more creative and added some differences to the 3gS from the 3g. (Idk maybe fix the screen, so it doesnt shatter even if it's dropped on a pillow from 3inches?)

Just my 2 cents, have a nice day

Thanks

You are entitled to your opinion.
    I don't share it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn View Post
    Ive got 1 2g iPhone, 2 3g iPhones, and 2(now 1 cause one is sold on ebay) 3g S iPhones and 2 Google G1's. And the specs on the T-Mobile G1 are complete bullsh*t!!! Ive compared them both on wifi (3gS and G1) and they are about equal... And with the CPU overclocked at 527mhz and 256mb of swap space on an 8gig SDmicro card on the G1, the G1 walks away from the iPhone 3gS.. (Ill try and get some times up next time im on wifi....)

And all I can say is that I am very dissapointed in the 3gS (Apple is just trying to make more money...) they could have a least been a little more creative and added some differences to the 3gS from the 3g. (Idk maybe fix the screen, so it doesnt shatter even if it's dropped on a pillow from 3inches?)

Geez.. exaggerate much??

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, cool info. I love my 3GS :-)
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

I am absolutely in love with my 3gs. It is an awesome upgrade from the 3g. Very very fast, and I LOVE how the screen feels. You literally can't get finger prints on it!! May be a small feature but definitely noticed.

Thanks

Who isn't trying to make more money? "G2" coming out soon...

But anyway, 3GS is a huge improvement over 3G. Just because you can't SEE it doesn't mean it's not there. Again, wait till there are apps that really take advantage of the new processor and graphic chip. Then we'll see what the 3GS is all about.

The 3G build is already very good imo. I've dropped mine MANY times from my hand and pocket, twice on its face. And still running strong with NO dent (use a hard cover!). Of course, sh!t happens but then it's just your luck.

Thanks

So do you 3GS guys really get that blazing speed from the original 3G comercials from last year? I wonder what all you will say next year when they come play us again for another faster 3G version phone which we were supposed to have in the first place......... "WOW 64GB, can't wait!" Not!

I sipped the apple flavored coolaide twice, but not gonna drink it again and upgrade with more promises. Will wait and see what next years 3G "whatever" brings. Maybe it will actually be more like the "blazing speed" it was always supposed to have.

They will probably call it 3GSS....or maybe 3GLT1. LOL!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default its common sense
    I love my 3gs it truly is a lot faster and its underclocked. with what apple has in store for it and with apps having access to twice the resources it has a lot of potential.
    A lot of 3g users are hating on the s without even trying it. I get it ur pissed because u can't get the new one every apple fan shares ur feelings when the new stuff comes out
    As far as the G1 haha its crap cheaply made and slow. not to mention their so called appstore just didn't make it. i might have to deal with ATT but at least its not tmobile.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So your comparing an overclocked phone, who's battery life sucks enough as it is, to a stock phone, who could easily out last the G1 in terms of power consumption? It's your table thats wrong not their's

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm just glad somebody posted real world tests as opposed to that retarded cnet video that's out where they tested carrier dependent features. This one actually tested the hardware/apps/email functions that have nothing to do with the service providers. So Palm.... put that in your pipe and smoke it.....

Thanks

I will probably get the 3G and hold off on the 3GS but seriously like Poseiden said wait for JB and all the apps you will be adding and see if the speed is the same.

iPhone? More like MyPhone salayyad's Avatar
    Thanks

Just ordered my 3gs im kind of excited actually. now its time to put my 2g up for sale than my 3g once ultra snow is unlocked. Quick question for any 3gs owner. is it possible to get the videos off the iphone and upload it to facebook. do the videos transfer to itunes

20. The Following User Says Thank You to salayyad For This Useful Post:

swpelchat (06-21-2009)

Thanks

I am completely in love with the 3gs dude i wouldn't have it any other way

Quote Originally Posted by salayyad View Post
    Just ordered my 3gs im kind of excited actually. now its time to put my 2g up for sale than my 3g once ultra snow is unlocked. Quick question for any 3gs owner. is it possible to get the videos off the iphone and upload it to facebook. do the videos transfer to itunes
    no not to itunes but they do transfer over to iphoto.

if i helped in any way please thank me.
    Last edited by swpelchat; 06-21-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    16gb iPhone4 black

If I helped you in anyway please hit thank you.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to swpelchat For This Useful Post:

salayyad (06-21-2009)