+ Reply
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Windows] How to Jailbreak iPhone 3G Firmware 3.0 with RedSn0w

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Question, Do you back up everyting again if you are doing a restore of the 3.0 or can you just update to 3.0. Backup takes forrrrrever!!!
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question, Do you back up everyting again if you are doing a restore of the 3.0 or can you just update to 3.0. Backup takes forrrrrever!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You can try an update & see what happens. If it's hung up you may need to Restore.

Backups do take forever on Window. I have my 3G synced with a Macbook. It takes 1-2 minutes on a Macbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,175 Times in 5,679 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSmoke View Post
    That's a choice you have to make, syncing to a previous back up only takes a few minutes really.
    It will also bring back most of your stock settings and all you notes and contacts etc.
    Make sure you don't have any hidden apps or apps in categories or web clips.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSmoke View Post
    can someone tell me where the ispw file is.. i downloaded the 3.0 firmire ware zip file but its not in there..
    When you download it from the front page of this thread, save it to your desktop and change the .zip to .IPSW

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight8779 View Post
    LMAO, I figured it out, it's vista, I dont know why but I tried redsnow on my sister's crappy XP machine and the darned thing worked.

Sorry fellow Vista users..
    I have Vista Ultimate and it worked fine

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

finally got it working after the restore few apps don't download correctly like snapture but other than that working fine

i love when people post what kind of pc they and why somethign isn't working it has nothing to do with the pc just software issues
    Last edited by Punkass1214; 06-21-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Will i lose my contacts with redsnow or should i wait for quickpwn?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyx7 View Post
    Will i lose my contacts with redsnow or should i wait for quickpwn?
    You will not lose your contacts if you sync from a back-up after the jailbreak.
    There will not be a Quickpwn, this is it. Sorry

Thanks

Tried this a half dozen times and it keeps telling me it cant find the device and check out youtube on how to put your phone in DFU mode . I even tried on another computer . I wish we had QUICKPWN to do this on . I never had problems with that program .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    Tried this a half dozen times and it keeps telling me it cant find the device and check out youtube on how to put your phone in DFU mode . I even tried on another computer . I wish we had QUICKPWN to do this on . I never had problems with that program .
    You have to begin each process with a clean 3.0 install. That's the reason you go into DFU mode.
    Sorry, there will be no quickpwn, this is it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

Fallguy (06-21-2009)

Thanks

I thought the firmware file that is given at the beginning of this thread was what we needed . Are you saying I need to restore to it first then use it again with redsnow ?
    Or do I need to totally wipe my phone and update it through itunes and then use the redsnow and the firmware file that is provided here ?
    I am sure there are others that have this problem . Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    I thought the firmware file that is given at the beginning of this thread was what we needed . Are you saying I need to restore to it first then use it again with redsnow ?
    Or do I need to totally wipe my phone and update it through itunes and then use the redsnow and the firmware file that is provided here ?
    I am sure there are others that have this problem . Thanks
    yes, have to have a fresh 3.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

u guys dont extract it, go to ur folder where u placed it, go to tools and go to folder options, u will see 3 tabs, general, view, and search, go to view, scroll midway until u see "hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck it, then apply and u can see now that the ispw file says iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.zip. all u do is rename the file to iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ispw, and then it turns to a cube type icon and its ready.

basic directions, 1. download all the files, 2. then on the itunes 8.2 hold shift and click restore and u should have ur ispw zip file already changed to iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ispw. after the installation is fully restored u will see on ur iphone the emergency screen thingy,3. open redsnow and follow directions, approximately 10 mins for all these steps. just be careful and follow the directions
    Last edited by mike2001ny; 06-21-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have updated to 3.0 with my 3g. But my batt percentage function stays. i heard that it has something to do with the 500mb dormant space due to cydia. and i jailbroken it 2 days ago, so is my 500mb still stuck there? or i have to click restore instead of update. Please advise guys.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike2001ny View Post
    u guys dont extract it, go to ur folder where u placed it, go to tools and go to folder options, u will see 3 tabs, general, view, and search, go to view, scroll midway until u see "hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck it, then apply and u can see now that the ispw file says iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.zip. all u do is rename the file to iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ispw, and then it turns to a cube type icon and its ready.

basic directions, 1. download all the files, 2. then on the itunes 8.2 hold shift and click restore and u should have ur ispw zip file already changed to iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ispw. after the installation is fully restored u will see on ur iphone the emergency screen thingy,3. open redsnow and follow directions, approximately 10 mins for all these steps. just be careful and follow the directions
    Once I get to the emegency number screen , do i disconnect it so itunes wont continue from there ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

my mistake its ipsw, not ispw, i always get those mixed up. as long as u have the cube shaped icon u should be fine

naw u dont really need to do anything. itunes is just gonna go back to normal screen. ur iphone should show slide for emergency and the itunes cd wit the chord showing arrow to it. just run yellow snow. itunes will just recognize and a message will say the sim card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported. just close itunes then run redsnow. after thats done u can turn itunes back on again
    Last edited by mike2001ny; 06-21-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so here's my problem...

everytime i try to extract i get a pop up saying that theres a file under the folder name already but there's not???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

im actually redoing mine right now cuz it keeps crashin, maybe its the programs from cydia, not so stabe at the moment, i possibly recommend waiting until the developers figure why its crashing so much and if possible solutions.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

^^^ ignore that just found the problem. =)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

to TWEEZ, what are u trying to extract? the ipsw zip? u dont extract it. just rename it from .zip to .ipsw

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default not working
    i downloaded the redsnow file and i extracted it but i dont see exe file