+ Reply
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [ NEW ] redsn0w - Multi-Platform Jailbreak/Unlock Tool

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
when i down load the redsnow file and unzip it yhe folder is empty any ideas
    iPhone? More like MyPhone jjr3211's Avatar
    Thanks

when i down load the redsnow file and unzip it yhe folder is empty any ideas

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sr852 View Post
    I feel like an idiot, I download the Restore.ipsw zip file and when I extract it to a folder I get folders and file icons NOT the "cube with the music note". What am I doing wrong? Can someone please help me as I will be using redsnow with my 2G. Thank you!!!!!!
    u don't need to extract then just change the file extension from .zip to .ipsw. it will solve u r problem.

if u don't know how to change the file extension google it " how to change the file extension"
    Last edited by bijju; 06-20-2009 at 09:53 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This thread is irrelevant for that issue, please post in correct thread, READ the first post THIS DOES NOT UNLOCK 3G.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have iphone 2g version unlocked ,jailbreaked with 2.2.0 firmware (windows).i guess redsnow upgrades to 3.0 firmware.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This might sound like a noon question but musclenerd said if you have a useless 3g with an official sim then use red snow to at least JB. Does this mean I need an AT&T sim card ?? Or I can JB without the sim ??

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
    I was so happy when I woke up and saw this. I will say this to all my MMi friends. Be careful what you install in Cydia. I instAlled Notifier and now Cydia crashes constantly.
    Yeah, the apps need to be updated to work on 3.0.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you an jb without a sim. it'll activate/jailbreak it n put cydia on it for you...

gonna test this out in about an hour.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Successful unlock of 2G iPhone
    Hey guys, I don't have a specific answer to any questions, just thought I would post how I got my iPhone 2G jailbroken and unlocked. I did this on the Windows 7 RC1.

First, I updated Itunes to 8.2. Then I got the 3.0 firmware directly from Itunes (it gives you two options, download or download and install. I just clicked download).

I located the firmware on my HD, (C: > Users > Username > AppData > Roaming > Apple > Itunes > Iphone Update Software)

I made sure my AT&T sim was put back in my iPhone (It was already unlocked and had a T-Mobile sim inside). I did this just for the restore.

I shift-clicked on restore in Itunes and selected the firmware. My iPhone went into restore mode (screen had itunes logo and plug) I got an error message 1602 after a long hang. I solved this problem by just changing the USB port I was using. Restore went fine afterwards.

Then I put my T-Mobile sim card back in my iPhone.

Then I got Redsn0w and followed the directions. The jailbreak and unlock went smoothly.

Cydia is really buggy (crashed about 10 times in 5 minutes), but I was able to use it long enough to add the ripdev source and install Icy.

I hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by Techngro; 06-20-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Typos :)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Techngro For This Useful Post:

lilskaterpunk (06-20-2009), reanimationxp (06-20-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@ spdracr, you can without the sim.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    This might sound like a noon question but musclenerd said if you have a useless 3g with an official sim then use red snow to at least JB. Does this mean I need an AT&T sim card ?? Or I can JB without the sim ??
    You'll need the official sim since the phone won't be unlocked anymore after you upgrade to 3.0. Ultrasnow is not out yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by medicomahesh View Post
    i have iphone 2g version unlocked ,jailbreaked with 2.2.0 firmware (windows).i guess redsnow upgrades to 3.0 firmware.
    Upgrade to 3.0 with iTunes normally then use redsn0w to jailbreak it.

Thanks

It worked for me first try, without any kind of problems.

Got Cydia, OpenSSH, Winterboard, etc... working. No problems at all.

I'm a Zend Certified Engineer.
    Follow me on twitter!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nico_swd For This Useful Post:

vargomedstart (06-20-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

IMPORTANT

Many people are having similar issues, and is causing many threads to be opened, I myself am having the issues aswell, and would like some help please.

Issue (This may be added to the main page)

redsn0w 0.7.1, iPhone 2G (may also be for 3g) hangs on a black empty screen when the jailbreak is running (after the ipod had been put in dfu mode)
    it either displays "waiting for reboot" Or "Done!", but the iphone remaines on the black empty screen.

Thanks in advance.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Safari and the Restore.ipsw.zip File
    Quote Originally Posted by sr852 View Post
    I feel like an idiot, I download the Restore.ipsw zip file and when I extract it to a folder I get folders and file icons NOT the "cube with the music note". What am I doing wrong? Can someone please help me as I will be using redsnow with my 2G. Thank you!!!!!!
    Safari, for one reason or another, downloads the file as a zip file. Then when it finishes, it automatically unzips it, which is why you have the folders. However, it also takes that original Restore.ipsw.zip file and drops it in the trash. All you have to do, when Safari is done downloading the file and unzipping, is go to the trash, retrieve the Restore file, and then remove the ".zip". Then it's good to go. Kind of strange, but at least you don't have to redownload the file if you already have it (and you haven't emptied your trash, and you don't have to use a different browser, if you already have Safari running.

Hope that helps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Guys I JB my iPhone 3G with Redsn0w, worked like a Charm...i opened Cydia, installed Winterboard, Cycorder and 5 icon Dock, Cydia was Crashing....it seems to be working now...But still crashes once in a while.
    Last edited by Treybo23; 06-20-2009 at 10:03 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Finally! Tks Dev Team!!Well,i have an iPhone Classic and i noticed that "Push" option doesnt appear....does anynone has this issue?

Thanks

Default You had a partial download
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblader View Post
    hey SR852.... you may be downloading from safari??? if so, try firefox..... safari wants to auto-decompress files after downloaded and does it to ispw files as well

PS.... i read yesterday you might be able to right click and "recompress" dont know for sure, havent tried it myself.....

hope this works for ya
    The original poster was working with a partial download. Apple's servers have been getting hammered of late, and I myself have had many timed out downloads. Redownload the firmware, and make sure that it Is the full 229mb.

Acually, as always, I'm going to wait a week or so and enjoy my functioning-perfectly, heavily-modded (and thus indispensible) 2.2 2g phone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

damn that was a easy jailbreak..............

Green Apple
    Thanks

@the2twins, thank you for the answer

@itaintrite, Im not a noob like the others and I can read what was posted. I'm using my 2g still on 2.2.1 and I have a 3g that is unlockable and sitting collecting dust and I just wanna jailbreak it and test the 3.0 features

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks, got it up and running first try no problems

Edit. Windows + 2g Phone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melloout View Post
    This might have been asked before, but whats with the 3GS that it cant be jailbroken? All these threads say "NOT" for 3GS"...so I was just wondering if anyone knew why or if the Dev team has said why it doesn't work on the 3GS..Thanks
    It's a different type of hardware so it's going to be a different jailbreak than with the 2g or 3g. We will just have to be patient until the dev team releases a 3gs jailbreak...because trust me, I am waiting for it too

23. The Following User Says Thank You to inzandity For This Useful Post:

Melloout (06-20-2009)