+ Reply
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Jailbreak iPhone Firmware 3.0 - PwnageTool

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Currently updating my contacts, pictures, music, etc. It took me 3 times before I finally saw the pineapple then Icy and Cydia. Awesome! just taking forever to reload my stuff
    Thanks

Currently updating my contacts, pictures, music, etc. It took me 3 times before I finally saw the pineapple then Icy and Cydia. Awesome! just taking forever to reload my stuff so I can play with my jailbroken 3.0 1st gen iPhone 8gb. Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I faced this issue with the last update/jailbreak. When I jailbreak my phone on my mac with the pwnage tool I do not get cydia installed on the phone. I assume that it is a problem with my the custom ipsw that is made but unsure. This time however i am confronted with a new problem. I have absolutely no cellular reception. None! Kind of frightening. I am continuing to try different approaches but would greatly appreciate it if anybody who has faced these problems and found solutions to them would post those solutions.

I will post my solutions as soon as I have them

Alright I got the cellular service back with a second attempt this time in simple mode for the pwnage program. Still no cydia, icy is on there however. Could my computer not be making the ipsw correctly?
    Last edited by Sherm23; 06-21-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I just want to keep you up to date about that. They have the unlocked version for the 3GS, if they put out that version so early in the process apple will just come up with an updated version for both versions, the 3G and 3GS. And we dont want that happening yet, so enjoy the 3G unlocked version

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by __neo View Post
    hi everyone..i have gone through the thread so please don't bash me for asking this.

i remember last time i tried jailbreaking on my new aluminium macbook there was some problem in putting it in DFU ,but i dont remember clearly.Was it the problem with 10.5.6 only? and will it be resolved by 10.5.7..

thanks
    Yea this is resolved with the OSX update... I am sure you have figured that out by now

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blaisy11 View Post
    I have a 3g with at&t coverage. I tried downloading and using pawnage and the ispw twice to no avail. Pawnage quits when it is 5 seconds into the rebuilding of the ispw.
    I'm having the same problem with pwnagetool... i tried using the redsnow dl and it did the same exact thing is there any solution?

here are my systems info...

mac os X 10.4.11
    Iphone 8gb updated to 3.0 and is in stock mode (was jailbroken before with quckpwn)
    itunes is updated to 8.2

anyone know of any solutions?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCali23 View Post
    I'm having the same problem with pwnagetool... i tried using the redsnow dl and it did the same exact thing is there any solution?

here are my systems info...

mac os X 10.4.11
    Iphone 8gb updated to 3.0 and is in stock mode (was jailbroken before with quckpwn)
    itunes is updated to 8.2

anyone know of any solutions?
    You need Leopard OS X 10.5.7 to make it work. You only have 10.4.11. Also it won't work with a Power PC based Mac. You need an Intel based Mac.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csmithofsb View Post
    You need Leopard OS X 10.5.7 to make it work. You only have 10.4.11. Also it won't work with a Power PC based Mac. You need an Intel based Mac.
    ok so heres a possible solution...tell me if it makes sense...

say i jailbreak (att is my provider) on a intel based mac laptop... would i be able to sync my contacs and all info with my g5 PPC?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCali23 View Post
    ok so heres a possible solution...tell me if it makes sense...

say i jailbreak (att is my provider) on a intel based mac laptop... would i be able to sync my contacs and all info with my g5 PPC?
    I don't see why not.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default still not working
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    Use only DFU and follow my other post, quoted here:
    hey Neo,

i tried updating first with the STOCK than with the CUSTOMIZED firmware. i followed the instructions:

1. Turn the iPhone ON
    2. CONNECT it to the dock
    3. Make sure iTunes is open so you'll know when it enters DFU mode
    4. HOLD the Power/Sleep-Wake button AND the Home button for 10 seconds
    5. RELEASE only the Power/Sleep-Wake button and continue to hold the Home button

but when itunes recognizes the device it says "Waiting for ipod..." when I have an iPhone 2G. so I wait anyway and than it says:
    "An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again. An uknown error occurred (1601)."

what do i do??? please help

Quote Originally Posted by Needy_Kid View Post
    hey Neo,

i tried updating first with the STOCK than with the CUSTOMIZED firmware. i followed the instructions:

1. Turn the iPhone ON
    2. CONNECT it to the dock
    3. Make sure iTunes is open so you'll know when it enters DFU mode
    4. HOLD the Power/Sleep-Wake button AND the Home button for 10 seconds
    5. RELEASE only the Power/Sleep-Wake button and continue to hold the Home button

but when itunes recognizes the device it says "Waiting for ipod..." when I have an iPhone 2G. so I wait anyway and than it says:
    "An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again. An uknown error occurred (1601)."

what do i do??? please help
    finally got it to stop recognizing an iPod and now it recognized the iPhone. The new error message is

"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604)."

Anyone resolve this problem???
    Last edited by Needy_Kid; 06-22-2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

SpringBoard keeps crashing and freezing up on me...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have upgraded my iPhone 2G to FW 3.0 and its successfully done.
    However after the phone restart completely, it freeze. I force to OFF the phone and turn it ON again and it freeze on the bootup logo.

any idea how to resolve this problem.

I have upgraded my iPhone 2G to FW 3.0 and its successfully done.
    However after the phone restart completely, it freeze. I force to OFF the phone and turn it ON again and it freeze on the bootup logo.

any idea how to resolve this problem.
    Last edited by ruelminds; 06-22-2009 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Intel Macs vs. PowerPC
    Quote Originally Posted by blaisy11 View Post
    I have a 3g with at&t coverage. I tried downloading and using pawnage and the ispw twice to no avail. Pawnage quits when it is 5 seconds into the rebuilding of the ispw.
    I also ran into the problem of crashing when creating the custom ispw. From the dev teams website, the pwnagetool doesn't work on PowerPC based Macs, only intels. You can run the pwnagetool, create the custom ispw, and upgrade on the intel and then sync to your PowerPC Mac with all your contacts, calendars, music, etc.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AaronsElite For This Useful Post:

blaisy11 (06-22-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Has anyone tried to use the pwnage tool to preserve the 2.28 baseband but upgrade to 3.0 on 3g? I am scared to try it because if it doesn't work then I will be stuck with out phone until ultrasnow. Please send me a PM I can't seem to see my replies. Thanks

Thanks

Perfect! Used this with ultrasn0w and it was awesome! Thank you dev team!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    This guide teaches you how to jailbreak your iPhone 2G/3G (NOT 3GS) on the 3.0 firmware using Pwnage Tool 3.0 by the iPhone Dev Team. ONLY WORKS FOR OS X.

Before getting started, you'll need to download a few things:

Pwnage Tool 3.0 - MMi Member Download | RapidShare | torrent

3.0 iPhone Firmware iPhone 3G Direct from Apple (iPhone 2G Firmware is here)

Note: Safari does not download the .ipsw files correctly - it decompresses them as soon as they're downloaded. We don't want that. Use Firefox to download the .ipsw, not Safari. Or you can ctrl+click the decompressed folder & click the compress button.

Alright, now that you've downloaded all that, lets continue.

Connect your iPhone to iTunes.

I recommend you sync up first so you get your contacts, photos, mail, etc current.

Note: restoring will remove any and all Jailbreak app settings and WinterBoard themes. bhz has a decent guide on how to back all that up here if you'd like. Otherwise, you can just redownload them.

Once you've downloaded the 3.0 firmware and placed it anywhere (I just put mine on my desktop) (or in your Applications folder) you can open Pwnage Tool by double-clicking the icon.

You may have OS X ask you about opening an app from the internet, don't worry about it - click Open.

Hit OK on the Copyright screen that pops up.

Since we're going to be jailbreaking our 3G iPhone, click that image on the left so the green checkbox comes up, and the hit the blue arrow button in the bottom right to move on.

On the next screen, Pwnage Tool will look for the 3.0 .ipsw file. It should find it automatically (again, mine was on my desktop), and list it there. It will take about a minute to find it. Click it and hit the blue arrow in the bottom right to move on.

Note: If you want a larger main partition (for installing Cydia apps and themes, etc), click the Expert mode and then the General icon, and increase your parition size.

Pwnage Tool will then let you know its going to create an .ipsw file.

Next, you'll be asked if you have a contract that would activate normally through iTunes - this is AT&T only in the US, or any other carrier outside the US that is a legit iPhone carrier who you bought the iPhone through. ''IF'' you have a legit contract with iTunes (e.g, you have AT&T or an approved iPhone carrier in another country) - say yes.

Once you've answered those q's, Pwnage Tool will begin creating your .ipsw. This screen should be up around 5 minutes or so.

Halfway through the creation of the .ipsw, OS X will ask you for your password. This is required for Pwnage Tool to build the custom firmware, go ahead and input your password and hit OK.

Pwnage Tool will ask if your iPhone has been previously pwned (and still is). If you aren't sure, just hit No, that's fine. If you know for sure its been pwned and still is, hit Yes, but make sure it really is.

Once complete, Pwnage Tool will let you know to quit Pwnage Tool, put your iPhone in Recovery mode (OR DFU MODE if you've never pwned), start iTunes, and restore with the custom firmware bundle it just created.

Now, pull up iTunes. You should see the following message:

Hit OK. Now, this is important - where it says Restore in iTunes, hold down the ''option'' key on your keyboard and press ''Restore'' in iTunes while holding it down.

Note: Its very important you hold down the option key while pressing Restore. Don't forget that.

Assuming you did that correctly, a window should pop up asking you which .ipsw file you'd like to restore from. Select the one we just created with Pwnage Tool. If you left it default, it should be sitting on your desktop and be named iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Custom_Restore.ipsw or something similar. Hit Open.

iTunes will now run through its typical flurry of windows and notifications while updating the firmware.

During this time, you'll see the nifty new progress bar on your iPhone as it restores.

If everything went correctly, you'll see the window stating your iPhone was restored to factory settings (heh, not quite, iTunes , and you can then hit OK.

Wait for iTunes to see the iPhone before disconnecting.

If you'd like, you can now restore from the backup you made of your iPhone before, to get all your contacts, mail accounts, and photos back. You might wanna clear off some photos/videos/music if you had it near full to make room for AppStore and Cydia apps now.

Congrats! That's it! You're now ready to go on iPhone firmware 3.0.

Have problem after all the steps in Pwnage 3.0 now my iPhone 3G si bricked.
    So glad I googled how to get to DFU . Now I'm back to Apple stock 3.0 again. but at least no more frozen Pineapple.
    I guess I will restore from my iTune backup and live without JB for a few days.
    May be there'll be bug fix??

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

i have an iphone 2G i've been trying to get this to work, only problem is i can't get it to work, becaue it jsut says it can't find bl39.bin and i'm assuming after that i need bl46 or whatever which i also don't have could someone help? maybe pm if they have one done that is just jailbroken i don't need unlock or anything. thanks

UPDATE:
    Nevermind found them here if anyone else needs them http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4255
    Last edited by santaf; 06-23-2009 at 05:08 AM.

Thanks
    I jailbroke 3.0 with pwnage tool and everything's working but signal and speed degraded a little, so now I have a slower phone, gosh darn it - poo!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Pwnage crashing
    Quote Originally Posted by kcdot View Post
    it's a 2G phone, i don't input any special options (use simple mode):

pick ipsw (downloaded from link on modmyi to desktop) - takes QUITE a while for it to find it... (~2 min)
    yes (put the new ipsw on my desktop)
    yes (iphone contract thru iTunes)
    Building IPSW (crash as soon as "boot" logo gets out)
    i don't get to the "enter your password" part
    I am having the same symptoms, same time "unzipping). I tried re-downloading PWNAGE tool and also ipsw file. No luck. I am on a Mac G5 and my phone is a 3G.

Thanks,

Rusty

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mareshalu View Post
    I jailbroke 3.0 with pwnage tool and everything's working but signal and speed degraded a little, so now I have a slower phone, gosh darn it - poo!
    Actually I've been getting better signal in some spots (been testing it for like 30 minutes).. but start-up time seemed longer to me.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to punkstar31 For This Useful Post:

mudfish (07-13-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!