+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone OS 3.0 Walk Through

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Many of you have been playing with firmware 3.0 beta versions for a very long time, and many features have been detailed here at ModMyi over the past couple months.
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default iPhone OS 3.0 Walk Through

Many of you have been playing with firmware 3.0 beta versions for a very long time, and many features have been detailed here at ModMyi over the past couple months. Now that firmware 3.0 is officially out it's time to for the complete list and review of all the new 3.0 features here in one place!

Maybe there is something you haven't noticed yet! Without further adieu and in what ever order I run across things while writing this:

Copy & Paste & Cut & Undo

One of my personal favorite new features, copy & paste is a long overdue feature which is finally implemented. It takes a bit of getting used to, but after the first few times it becomes second nature (well almost).

To use hold your finger in one place over an area of text. The magnifying glass will pop up and you'll have the options for "Select" "Select all" and "Paste" (Paste only pops up if you have something copied already and are in an editable txt area). If you choose "Select" you get some little doo-dads (technical term) that you can move around to select what you want to copy. "Select all" chooses the entire txt region. In some areas you just hold the magnifying glass for awhile and let go, the phone will auto select an area and give you the option to copy. To paste go to somewhere where you can edit test, hold, select "Paste." Cut works like "Select" except it cuts test from an editable area for paste somewhere else. To share safari links just hold on the link, wait for the pop up, and select copy.

For Undo just shake your iPhone and it asks if you'd like to undo!

Tethering

After you get tethering working (if it isn't working for you check out this thread) go to Settings->General->Network->Tethering->On. Now you can tether over USB cable or via Bluetooth. Over USB just plug in with iTunes running and it magically happens. For bluetooth pair and setup you computer to your iPhone like you normally would while connecting a new device. Be sure to choose to setup a mobile phone and enable share internet gateway while you're at it. Afterwards simply connect the computer and iPhone via bluetooth.

Movie Downloads

You can now download Movies, TV, Music Videos, etc via iTunes on your iPhone. No longer is there any need to scramble to a computer if you just Need something to watch while on the go. Head into iTunes app, choose something, download, and then play via the iPod app.

Send & Receive MMS, Resend TXT

For most everyone besides us AT&T users, MMS is functioning with iPhone firmware 3.0. It is integrated into the normal SMS app. Choose the camera icon to the left of the text entry bit while in SMS to take a photo or choose one from your library to send. Pretty simple right? When you receive MMS a miniature image will pop up mid-conversation which you can select to see the full size.

Sadly I'm on AT&T and my MMS isn't functioning right now. Will update with images later . . . or if someone king would like to PM me some screenies

If you send a txt message and it fails (because you lost network strength or something) you can simply re-send it without re-typing.

Listen to Stereo Bluetooth

If you have stereo bluetooth headphones or similar devices simply pair them to your iPhone. Done. Nice little image while you're playing tunes too!

Landscape Mode Everywhere

Emails, whatever, landscape is practically everywhere where it would be useful. Enjoy typing with two hands!

Search Added for Everything

Spotlight Search is a quick way to search your entire phone from the main menu. just slide the scree right, enter in what you are looking for, and the iPhone pulls up results from your mail, your contact book, and your music.

Mail search allows you to search for "To" "From" Subject" and "All" in any individual mail account. Makes it simple to easily pull up that one email from a month ago you're looking for. Even searches on the server if need be!

Easily find just one song, artist, album, movie, whatever via search in the iPod app. If you know what you're looking for then there is no need to browse through all the menus to get there.

Improved Notes and Calendar Syncing

CalDAV protocol has been added to Calendar syncing allowing you to sync in both directions with GCal or any other calendar service that supports CalDAV.

Notes.app now syncs so you wont lose all your notes if you drop your phone in a river or have to restore. Just enable it in the Info section of iTunes.

Parental Controls

You can limit what kind of content the iPhone is allowed to download. Apps, music, whatever. Good for those parents that let their kids play around with their iPhones, or even those parents that spoil their young children with iPhones

Settings->General->Restrictions

Safari

Is said to be faster. I haven't really noticed, but that's what is said.

Voice Memos

Yeah there is a Voice Memos app by default now. If you couldn't find one of the many apps that do the same thing (and many of them do it better) in the App Store by now then this less than impressive feature might be of interest.

Settings

You can stick in details for your iTunes Store account in Settings->Store and browse/edit account info etc via the iphone

Safari configuration has the option to turn Autofill for forms on, making online ordering etc via iPhone easier.

iPod Scrubbing

Jumping to specific points in your music is easier now. Grab the track location marker, slide you finger downward slightly, and scrubbing is enabled at a slower speed allowing more precision when trying to find a specific bit of the track. Further you slide downward the more precise it gets from high speed->half speed->quarter speed->fine scrubbing.

YouTube

This crappy app has been updated to include all sorts of new features. Rating, commenting, account management, etc are all controllable easily by iPhone now. Not so crappy anymore now is it?

Find My Phone

MobileMe users can locate their iPhone, send messages to it, and remote-erase all personal data via any computer. For more information click here.

Shake to Shuffle

Want to listen to a different track while in the iPod app? Shake your iPhone to shuffle your music and bring up a new track. Anyone try this while jogging yet? Could be annoying if it is constantly shuffling (just kidding, shake to shuffle doesn't work if the phone is locked)

AT&T HotSpot Auto-Authentication

Accessing WiFi at an AT&T HotSpot via iPhone is simple now. Just select the HotSpot from you iPhone WiFi settings and it automatically logs you in.

Push + More Application Features

Yup 3.0 has push. Expect brand new apps with brand new functionality (Tom Tom) along with updates from your favorites to include some push (BeeJive, etc.). There is discussion going on right in here about what apps already have push functioning.

More

There are something like 100 new features in firmware 3.0. All in all this new firmware adds all sorts of basic features that the iPhone has been missing these past two years. If you switched phones because of the iPhone's missing features then it's time to switch back.

There are undoubtedly things I'm not thinking about right now or things that I haven't noticed yet. Did i miss anything cool? Post up your discoveries!

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

40_ounce (06-18-2009), akashi (06-18-2009), Amraam (06-18-2009), Argon27 (07-09-2009), bgraug (07-01-2009), Colorado Steve (06-18-2009), converym (06-18-2009), dont (07-10-2009), Dragon RR (06-24-2009), emtaerd (06-19-2009), evilmojofcs (06-18-2009), FreakyFlor (08-02-2009), gatocaribe (06-21-2009), hishamsaleh (06-18-2009), iphonen00b89 (06-18-2009), JoRa2 (07-16-2009), jshdw1100 (06-18-2009), lalp (06-18-2009), maximogio (06-26-2009), Musad (06-18-2009), ninthchamber99 (06-18-2009), nitram (06-21-2009), Noga (06-20-2009), nukykola (06-18-2009), somsawat_r (06-18-2009), thetoothfairy (06-18-2009), zoolander369 (06-18-2009), ZXMustang (06-29-2009)

Thanks

good post. I haven't pulled the trigger on 3.0 yet but i'll be sure to as soon as quickpwn comes out for it. Thanks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to converym For This Useful Post:

drmonroe55 (07-30-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default first post!
    nvm...beet me to it...

iPhone? More like MyPhone dhruvmalik's Avatar
    Thanks

Just Waiting For Beejive IM... Come On Apple... Approve It Already!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dhruvmalik For This Useful Post:

drmonroe55 (07-30-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone i pimping's Avatar
    Thanks

i know quickpwn is out friday but i saw a post giving the time it was going to be but i cant find it or remember the time so anyone know wot time i should be looking

9. The Following User Says Thank You to i pimping For This Useful Post:

drmonroe55 (07-30-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone RaMod's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Delete text lines one by one in a convo!! + Forward text!!
    Hello there!!

Thanks for a great post!! You guys know me and what a big fan I am of the iLog. Well now Apple decided to add that awesome feature into the 3.0 software. You can now delete a specific line in a text conversation without deleting the entire text. Also when you get into the "Edit" mod you will notice on the bottom that now you can forward that specific line so YES! my friends we now also have Forward in text!!!! You can pick more than one line and forward it in another text. Awesomeness!!!!

Hope this helps and happy texting to everyone!! Now if I can just get my MMS to work I'll be a very happy camper!!

Later,
    RaMod
    RaMod!
    If I helped you out, please press ... thanks!

=The iPhone?!...wait!...what happened!?=

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RaMod For This Useful Post:

chutieu21 (06-18-2009), drmonroe55 (07-30-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

ooh, didn't know about the scrubbing in itunes, thanks.

and i love doo dads!!

i thought it was doo daas though?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fluffer For This Useful Post:

drmonroe55 (07-30-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ddfilms's Avatar
    Thanks

MMS and Tethering not available on the 2G iPhone.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ddfilms For This Useful Post:

drmonroe55 (07-30-2009)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Thanks so much for of your hard work with this thread! Excellent info! Great job! I did not know some of these as I just updated my phone.... I noticed that when I close the camera I don't care for how it closes.... I like that they added a couple of more pages... wish they would have added more....

Love the cut,copy and paste but will agree with you... it can be tricky until you get the heck of it...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Green Apple
    Thanks

how do you get into edit mode?
    1.1.3 JAIlbrken

ATT locked

Summerboard help

Green Apple
    Thanks

clippy was better than the apple branded copy/paste...i have to get the hang of it but as of right now its a major pain in the ***..i want mms nao so ladies can send me plenty of pics

iPhone? More like MyPhone RaMod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaboi318 View Post
    how do you get into edit mode?
    When you are in the text/conversation window you can see the "Edit" button in the upper right corner. Just click on it and you will see the option I was talking about. You will have a round circle next to each line and you can select it by pressing on it. You also can see the "forward" option only after you pressed the "Edit" button.
    Hope that helped!

Later,
    RaMOD
    RaMod!
    If I helped you out, please press ... thanks!

=The iPhone?!...wait!...what happened!?=

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I've tried many a many ways, this works without calling AT&T with the modded carrier file. See stealhbravo's thread here.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/t/56587...-0-iphone.html

Under MMS in cellular data, put this:

APN ims.cingular

MMSC mmsc.cingular.com/ims
    MMS Proxy wireless.cingular.com

All other fields are left blank, this works on both of my iPhones on the family messaging unlimited plan. Hopefully it will work for you as well.

POWER CYCLE YOUR PHONE, then test send a message. If that fails:

APN: wap.cingular
    Username: [email protected]
    Password(case sensitive): CINGULAR1
    MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32
    MMS Max Message Size:
    MMS UA Prof URL:

Last edited by shinerbocksi; 06-18-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: got pictures

21. The Following User Says Thank You to shinerbocksi For This Useful Post:

Kiserai (06-29-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

man cant wait till friday to update to 3.0 this will be sweet

Thanks

installed it yesterday. loving it!
    Blah Blah and Blah

Thanks

i know quickpwn is out friday but i saw a post giving the time it was going to be but i cant find it or remember the time so anyone know wot time i should be looking
    fail much -.-

IT'S MANBEARPIG!
    I told you it was real!

Device: iPhone 2G 16 GB
    Firmware: 2.2.1 Unlocked + Jailbroken w/ Quickpwn.
    Computer: Windows XP & Vista (64 Bit)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Is AT&T allowing tethering? If not is there an extra cost?

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Is AT&T allowing tethering? If not is there an extra cost?
    They said it will be available later on, and that there will be an additional fee.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Silencer_0 For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (06-18-2009)

Thanks

[QUOTE=shinerbocksi;4433491]I've tried many a many ways, this works without calling AT&T with the modded carrier file.

APN ims.cingular

All other fields are left blank, this works on both of my iPhones.

POWER CYCLE YOUR PHONE, then test send a message.

Nope, this doesn't do it for me and I am on AT&T
    lalp
    Iphone 4G fan!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

[quote=lalp;4434561]
    Quote Originally Posted by shinerbocksi View Post
    I've tried many a many ways, this works without calling AT&T with the modded carrier file.

APN ims.cingular

All other fields are left blank, this works on both of my iPhones.

POWER CYCLE YOUR PHONE, then test send a message.

Nope, this doesn't do it for me and I am on AT&T
    Same i cannot even find the area to enter the info?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast