Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
iPhone Newsforums, a part of the
Here it is folks! You can get iPhone OS 3.0 immediately, as of now, this very moment, ahora mismo, from iTunes. Not sure how to do it? Open iTunes, making...
06-17-2009, 11:31 AM #1
3.0 is Here. iPhone / iPod Touch Come and Get it.
Here it is folks! You can get iPhone OS 3.0 immediately, as of now, this very moment, ahora mismo, from iTunes. Not sure how to do it? Open iTunes, making sure your iPhone is connected to your comp. Click your iPhone/iPod Touch's icon on the left.
Then just click the "Check for Update" button.
iTunes will let you know 3.0 is available - grab it. Then just do as it says to continue upgrading.
NOTE: If youo're not seeing it yet in iTunes, grab it from the following download links:
iPhone 1G - Download
iPhone 3G - Download
Use Firefox to get it (or IE - blech), as Safari decompresses the file when it saves it. Then, when the .ipsw file is on your Desktop (or wherever), go back into iTunes, hold down the Option key (Shift in Windows) and press the Restore button in your device's tab in iTunes. iTunes will ask you what file you want to restore with - choose the appropriate 3.0 file you just grabbed.
For all you paranoid folks, here's the rundown on upgrading:
- BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP. Of course everything will go smooth and safe, but IF something happens, you want to make sure you've backed up your contacts, photos, important SMS, etc.
- You WILL lose all Cydia apps. This is the same with EVERY firmware upgrade - iTunes has no idea you've got 'em on there, and sure isn't going to politely put them back for you after you upgrade. This includes all Cydia app settings, etc. Backup your stuff from those too if you haven't yet and need to.
- 3.0 WILL have an official PwnageTool jailbreak (yup, including Cydia) shortly following the release of the 3.0 firmware (which just happened), according to MuscleNerd when he demoed the 3.0 unlock.
- That being said, 3.0 will NOT BE UNLOCKABLE UNTIL FRIDAY. The DevTeam has already unlocked both the iPhone 1G and 3G running 3.0 with the new unlock tool, ultrasn0w, but they will not be releasing the tool until Friday. We'll let you know as soon as it happens, but for now - if you NEED to be unlocked, do NOT upgrade until Friday. Otherwise, you can upgrade just fine today and still unlock on Friday.
- You DON'T need to wipe your device, go to stock 2.2.1 first, or anything - whether you're jailbroken or not, unlocked or locked, you can simply press "Update" in iTunes to upgrade to 3.0 - and you'll be fine.
- Like you really need a list of features first, but we've got em detailed here.
- iTunes 8.2 is required and fine to use. Jailbreak, unlock, all that will work fine in 8.2!
New features include:
*MMS (iPhone 3G and 3GS only) (Available later this summer for AT&T users)
*Tethering (iPhone 3G and 3GS only)(Available later this summer for AT&T users)
*Landscape Keyboard in all apps
*Cut & Paste
*Upgraded Calendar to include Exchange sync
*Buy/Rent movies and shows directly on your iPhone
*Shake to shuffle for the iPod.
*Mobile Me improvements including Find My Phone and Remote Wipe.
Please read the following before asking questions
General Rules to Upgrading your Firmware:
1. Back up your iPhone in iTunes first. If your phone is currently jailbroken and you have any apps hidden or in categories you will need to unhide them before making your back-up. This will avoid the "where are all my icons?" questions after you arrive at 3.0.
2. If your phone is currently jailbroken you will need to use the RESTORE button, not the upgrade button. If you upgrade you will automatically lose about 500mb of disk space and never recover it until you finally restore. (This is due to Cydia moving files around). If your phone is not jailbroken then you can use the upgrade button without any issues.
3. After you restore you can use your back-up in iTunes to get all your contacts, SMS, photos and App Store apps back. Do NOT ask about cracked apps!
4. When you restore you will lose all your jailbroken apps which you will have to manually re-download from Cydia. Some apps are not 3.0 compatible yet.
5. If you have an iPhone 3G this will upgrade your baseband and lock your phone. The unlock is not scheduled for release until Friday June 19th.
6. If you have a first generation iPhone you can restore to 3.0 and re-jailbreak (when Quickpwn is updated). The baseband stays the same so you will not have to re-unlock.
7. The initial release of Quickpwn and Pwnage Tool will be available for download on the iPhone Dev-Team blog. http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
Last edited by Poseidon79; 06-17-2009 at 12:06 PM.
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:
arunkumar.t (06-18-2009), austinmoses (06-18-2009), axxon (06-17-2009), barsoverbeats (06-17-2009), champcaracing (06-17-2009), chanquete (06-17-2009), Colorado Steve (06-17-2009), domacks (06-17-2009), gio g03 (06-17-2009), HisNameIsAngel (06-17-2009), iRoach74 (06-17-2009), keda51 (06-17-2009), lord1700 (06-17-2009), mniceguy81 (06-18-2009), mr_inky (06-18-2009), nico_swd (06-18-2009), ninthchamber99 (06-17-2009), NorthNJMark (06-17-2009), nukykola (06-18-2009), POLOPLAYA (06-18-2009), r1994augusto (06-17-2009), roady1 (06-17-2009), shoemann (06-17-2009), SteveAR (06-17-2009), tattoojack (06-17-2009), trilogy069 (06-17-2009), wallnutz04 (06-17-2009), xxzone (06-17-2009), Zehlek (06-17-2009)
06-17-2009, 11:33 AM #2Damm
Finally after 1/2 day waiting thank apple for the wait
The Following User Says Thank You to jibaro3 For This Useful Post:
06-17-2009, 11:33 AM #3
If you are jailbroken you need to restore, not update unless you want to lose about 500mb of disk space.
06-17-2009, 11:33 AM #4
Downloaded and the iPhone is syncing now! ;-) WOO HOO!
06-17-2009, 11:34 AM #5
Sweetness, i just woke up to the update!
06-17-2009, 11:34 AM #6
its only 13 hours and 30 minutes overdue
06-17-2009, 11:36 AM #7
if ur one the 3.0 gm ull have to click restore to update to it, btw YAY my first post
06-17-2009, 11:37 AM #8
wheres the video camera?!?!?!
06-17-2009, 11:37 AM #9
hmm.. the Push Notifications tab in the settings menu isnt there....
lol did Apple bail on the push again?!?!
06-17-2009, 11:38 AM #10
Last edited by bscott05; 06-17-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: double post
06-17-2009, 11:38 AM #11
Thanks for the direct links! I did the GM 3.0 install, so I couldn't get the download via itunes, says it's the current version, but I'll need it to jailbreak again when it's released.
06-17-2009, 11:40 AM #12
Now all we need is jailbreak and unlock tools.
06-17-2009, 11:40 AM #13
Pretty sure its not overdue at all.
They said the 17th, that's it. They didn't say 12:01 AM the 17th.
06-17-2009, 11:42 AM #14
06-17-2009, 11:43 AM #15
its exactly the same size as the GM 3.0
06-17-2009, 11:43 AM #16
06-17-2009, 11:43 AM #17
Push Notifications will be active in Settings once you install some app which uses PN.
06-17-2009, 11:45 AM #18
"You DON'T need to wipe your device, go to stock 2.2.1 first, or anything - whether you're jailbroken or not, unlocked or locked, you can simply press "Update" in iTunes to upgrade to 3.0 - and you'll be fine."
Isn't going to stock 2.2.1 wiping your device?
06-17-2009, 11:45 AM #19
GM Build is the Same as the retail
Last edited by delldude1989; 06-17-2009 at 11:48 AM.
06-17-2009, 11:46 AM #20
Not necessarily over due. They just never gave a time or zone.