+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sign the Petition Against the iPhone 3G S Pricing Structure

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Is there a petition to the petition? I will sign that one. I love my 3G but honestly, apple people complain way too much. Phone subsidies are normal for any
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Is there a petition to the petition? I will sign that one. I love my 3G but honestly, apple people complain way too much. Phone subsidies are normal for any carrier, on any phone. The iPhone is cool, but if you got it at the subsidized price last year then you haven't completed your contract...same as if you bought a different phone. I am all for a cheaper phone, but honestly, we don't deserve anything special just because it's an apple product and we currently own the last gen model. I love the blame on ATT too...they are eating the cost of the iPhone now (via subsidizing) even though you used to pay full price AND still have to sign a contract.
    Really?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gabsiphone View Post
    second.. and when they droped the price of the original iphone and gave everyone $200
    It was actually $100 in store credit. It was $200 off for the new consumer... can u believe that mess!!!

Je5
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oscar25 View Post
    I don't understand. How is this any different with any other cell phone contract and any old average cell phone. You have to wait a certain amount of time before you are eligible for an upgrade without paying or at a discount. Why should it be any different for iphones? You people did sign the contract so I don't understand the complaints. When you're up for renewal you can go get one for the discounted price and renew contract otherwise pay the price just like with any other cell phone contract. Am I missing something here?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkoNova View Post
    LOL at the people that are mad at AT&T because they can't upgrade early.

Gimme a break.

Matt
    WOw you guys are crazy...you two have the only real point...ATT has no say its straight up APPLE only they call the shots as to when and how to sell..ATT is just the carrier You people all signed contracts stop complaining you dont have to get it from them buy them somewhere else where you will pay even more so why you complaining... Its completely true as Oscar stated it would be the same so signing this stupid petition is not going to do a thing you are all just complainers...jeez
    Dont be that guy..!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Where is the peptition that will get all the whining babies that signed a contract that now want to get out of it to shut up? Ill sign that one in a heart beat. You signed the contract, you knew what was in that contract now shut your pie holes and live up to it.

Some of you people have a skewed sense of entitlement going on.... what makes you so special?

Green Apple
    Thanks

AT&T is forgetting that the early termination fee for most people who got the 3G on release day is only $100-$125. The $200 extra is just absurd. I mean hell, the ETF for someone who only has had service for one month is $175.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zerobrand View Post
    over here in canada the 32gb is expected to be $799-$849 (without contracts) thats what i heard from rogers
    wow, and i though $699 was alot.
    that's pretty ridiculous

and for all the people that are getting mad at AT&T because they wouldnt wave the 20 or 15 days, there's a thing called patience. And if you don't want to wait, then pay the extra $200. It's as easy as that. But the one thing I do agree with is the fact that it is an extra $200. That is a bit outrageous.
    Last edited by mysteryskater125; 06-16-2009 at 10:43 PM.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i really don't understand all those complaints.
    You signed a contract, they pay a large part of the phone for you.
    Quit the complaining.
    Here in Belgium the 3G was only available without subsidy, for 525 euros (725$) so even the american "no subsidy" price is great for us...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't get it. If you renew your contract don't you add 2 MORE years to your current contract which means if you signed a 2 year contract 1 year ago you are at 3 years left? If that is the case you should get the 199/299 price...

I don't see how ATT loses money.

But if people are complaining because they don't get a lower price WITHOUT renewing a 2 year contract i'd say you guys are pretty dumb. Only reason you're getting a lower price is that they can lure you into a contract.

I live in Canada and so far, according to the retarded Rogers Reps, There no way to get the 3GS unless I renew a 3 year contract. This is ******** lol. But ya Rogers already said that they will offer a non contract iPhone 3GS. I really hope it's 599/699 like in the US.
    Last edited by M4tt Dam0n; 06-17-2009 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vert View Post
    if you have an iphone 3g, and your want to upgrade theyll give you the subsidized price after one year of the contract,
    O2 won't in the UK - why should they? They claw back the discount over the term of the contract, that's the way it works. Mind you, in the UK you get more discount the more you pay so I guess it';s different your side of the pond.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Cancel your contract and sign a new one. That's what I did. Plain and simple. This might be out of Apple's hands guys. I think with the subsidized pricing thing ATT is the Boss. Best of luck though.

Plenty of phones sell for even more than that. The company figures if you don't want to pay, you don't get one. To YOU that might be too much money but to many it just isn't. I also think paying half a million dollars for a car is ridiculous. Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen all the time.
    Sorry but that's a poor analogy. The iPhone was meant to be available to the average consumer - a $500'000 car? Sorry, but that doesn't happen all the time lol. Or if it does, I'm making a mistake living in the UK haha (I doubt it).

540 for the iPhone is a lot of money, as much as I love it. What annoys me more is O2, and their lack of upgrade options. If I want the 3GS, I have to spend 7 months of 35 per month contract (so that's 245 just to cancel my contract, and waste 7 month's service) and then on top of that, spend 240 on a 32GB 3GS on another 18month contract. No thanks!!

Oh, back on topic, I would sign the petition, but like others here, I can't be arsed to sign up to another social networking site. Not to be pesimistic, but I doubt very much apple will listen. Either that, or they're already planning to drop the prices after millions buy them on launch day, pretending they listened to us and 'agree' to drop the price

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default its not going to happen
    Att subsidizes the price of the phones. they already gave a discount to everyone who got 3g... they arent going to just let everyone bail on their contract so they can give away more phone at a cheaper price than they bought them for
    iPhone Nice

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Subsidized and UNsubsidized
    If you look at the prices for a contract that is subsidiary and one that is not you might notice that the prices are the same for 1 year of service. So say I buy 1 new 3G S on a new plan and pay 200 for the phone and on an old number that is not upgrade eligible upgrade to the 3G S and pay 400. No matter what both 2 year contracts are going to cost the same per month in the long run. So stop complaining like the spoiled fan boys you are and realize that the 2 year contract is meant to subsidized one phone for 18 months for about 300 dollars. If you want to upgrade before then you are going to have to pay a penalty to get what you want. AT&T doesn't owe you (even though they should for not having tethering and mms ready) and either does Apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viperstarpoint9 View Post
    If you look at the prices for a contract that is subsidiary and one that is not you might notice that the prices are the same for 1 year of service. So say I buy 1 new 3G S on a new plan and pay 200 for the phone and on an old number that is not upgrade eligible upgrade to the 3G S and pay 400. No matter what both 2 year contracts are going to cost the same per month in the long run. So stop complaining like the spoiled fan boys you are and realize that the 2 year contract is meant to subsidized one phone for 18 months for about 300 dollars. If you want to upgrade before then you are going to have to pay a penalty to get what you want. AT&T doesn't owe you (even though they should for not having tethering and mms ready) and either does Apple.
    The difference is however, is that AT&T only want $175 (IIRC) dollars to cancel the contract - no matter how far into it you are. For me, I have to pay out the rest of the contract. So in my case I have to pay 245, which is a hell of a lot more than $175.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with my 3G, and I can't wait to load 3.0. My jailbroken 2.2 is really slow, laggy and unstable. 3.0 is the best excuse to get out for a while

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No offense guys, but I feel no sympathy for you. You knew what you were getting into when you signed your contract. Do you understand how subsidies work? What you're basically asking for now is to get something for nothing and you should well know the telco's are all about making a profit. If this were any other phone you'd be facing the same plans and same pricing, just because it's an iPhone doesn't make it any different.

I'm sure you're all unhappy about it and just want things your way, but I'd like a unicorn and I'm not getting one of those either.

Thanks

Hey for all those that say we knew what we were getting into when we signed the contract, of course we did, and obviously through many posts a lot of us are getting the iPhone 3GS, I am happy actually that i get some sort of discount (i can get a 3GS for $499 instead) but really It would be awesome if it happened but no big (to me anyways) if it didnt, whatever. I'll still be getting a 3GS sooner or later.

Also this is helping me not spend money i need to actually live with lol Again it would be cool if it happened, but not going too. Cause ATT will have to issue this. The early adopters thing was Apples fault not att this time its ATT and they wont budge .

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDreamer View Post
    I'm one for cheaper products, but people did sign a contract, and they knowingly bought an Apple product, which usually have a refresh cycle of every year, if anything, complain to ATT to make a specific contract for a 1 year renewal, but I doubt that would happen. It's probably doing you a favor right now by making these absurdly high prices and forcing you to wait one more year, which at that time, a newer iPhone will be exsistant. Imagine, sign another 2 year contract now, say ATT gives the lower subsidized price, they lose money. Next year comes, the same people who were complaining are complaining again about pricing, at this rate, Apple and ATT would be driven into the ground because they lose money (I don't know if they do, but I can imagine they have their reasons for having such high prices). iPhone2G to 3G was something, improved many things hardware and software wise where 3G to 3GS is just a hardware refresh, and some "exclusive" apps, that to me just isn't worth the complaining for right now. My father has a 3G, and as much as I would love to get him the 3GS, I know next year Apple will have a new one, and isn't that 4G/LTE stuff coming soon? Don't you think the next iPhone is going to better hardware next year than this year? Just my thought, and not trying to start an arguement.
    Best post in this thread. The people complaining this year will complain next year, and the year after that and so on. If you didn't want to sign a two year contract last year, then you shouldn't have done so. There is no 2 year contract specific to only certain people. Contracts do not discriminate, you do your two years time, plan and simple. Nothing excites me enough about a 3GS to drop the ca$h. Next years iPhone will be substantial, this years is not.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default id sign it, but im not a twit
    if you have a non twitter petition, post it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Stimpy5050's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yehlow View Post
    Ok here's the thing I understand why everybody is upset because Apple spoiled us last year and gave us an early upgrade price.
    They didn't give you an early upgrade price, because you paid full price for the iPhone 2G. If you remember, the original price for the 2G was $399 for the 4GB, and $499 for the 8GB. Though not the full $400 premium we see now on the 3gS, it still constituted a non-subsidized phone price. You got a subsidized 3G price 1 year later because AT&T wasn't trying to recoup any money from your 2G.
    Last edited by Stimpy5050; 06-17-2009 at 07:08 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshwil View Post
    if you have a non twitter petition, post it.
    OK, I've just put it in the post box....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ARCHA1C's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    I don't get it. If you renew your contract don't you add 2 MORE years to your current contract which means if you signed a 2 year contract 1 year ago you are at 3 years left? If that is the case you should get the 199/299 price...

I don't see how ATT loses money...

Think of it like a 2 year car loan.
    You Buy a new car, and you pay $500 per month for it.
    After one year, you have paid off half of the loan.
    Just because the car manufacturer comes out with a new model in a year, doesn't entitle you to upgrade to that new car without paying what you still owe on the original loan.

You can get into that new car, but they will roll over the remaining balance from your old loan onto the new one.

That's essentially what AT&T is doing with iPhone 3G owners.
    You've only met half of your contract, and therefore have not paid back the money that AT&T subsidized for that phone.

What AT&T is doing is fair, and makes business sense.
    People can complain all they want, but AT&T isn't screwing "loyal" customers.

Loyal customers are failing to fulfill their contracts.