Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How To: Force Quit Apps on 3.x

Thanks

Default How To: Force Quit Apps on 3.x
    Back in the firmware 1.x and 2.x days, there was a simple way to free up memory when an app used to hang - quitting the app "forcefully" by pressing and holding home button for about 10 seconds. Those who upgraded to 3.0 in Beta stages might have missed this useful function - but the good news is that it's back, not exactly the same as before though. Due to the addition of Voice Controls in iPhone 3GS (which are accessed in the same way force-quit used to work) Apple has changed the shortcut, even for 3G and original iPhone users.

Image courtesy TheiPhoneBlog

As discovered by a guy named shutter13, the method now works as follows:

To force quit an application in 3.0, press and hold the sleep/wake button until the slide to power off screen appears, then press and hold the home button until the application quits (about six seconds).
    A bit complex, yah - but hey, at least it's back! Another minor change is in the transition when force quitting. Before it used to be like a laggy app screen but now, the app just disappears in like a "poof" transition.

[via EverythingiCafe]

P.S. Even if you don't want to quit an app, use it on Home Screen (not Lock Screen) to free up some memory.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sayam For This Useful Post:

aboudiiiiii (06-14-2009), DaMan05 (06-14-2009), JayBern (06-15-2009), reanimationxp (06-14-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone timbo's Avatar
    Thanks

This is great, I think...... If the 3.0 firmware is a great as the say..... why would this be nessesary??
    Thanks,

Timbo

great.....i was missing this..

Thanks

it works!
    Currently addicted to Modern Warfare 2! add me on PSN: A_Mexican_guy

Thanks

cool it can free memory that means speed boosts right?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yah i noticed this launch day on apples website. =p

Thanks

cool i'll try it
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    This is great, I think...... If the 3.0 firmware is a great as the say..... why would this be nessesary??
    Its not, at least not for me. It seems to running slower than 2.x now. Could just be my phone though.
    "Carpe iPhone"-"Seize the iPhone"-Steve's Roman Ancestors

It don't seem to work on 2g w/ 3.0GM... Boy sure can't wait till the 19th.
    Speaking of the 19th does anyone know what courier apple uses to ship?

I thought they had an app for that ?

hum more reliable? i know back in 2.x and such it the force quit wasn't so reliable. but yea it is less convent maybe keep both just in case.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    I thought they had an app for that ?
    There is. It's called 'backgrounder' and it can let apps keep running in the background or force them to quit. I've been using it for months as its great. BTW, I'm on 2.x firmware as 3.0 isnt jailbreaked yet.

cool nice find.
    I was working on a list of changes they made from 2.x to 3.x and this looks like the perfect place to post it:

- 'Scrubbing' when scrolling through songs and movies
    - In 'Now Playing' of iPod.app, volume slider only works when your finger is on the slider, you can't touch the slider, hold your finger on the screen and move your finger higher in the screen and still slide the volume slider, like you could in 2.x
    - if you hit the lock button while launching an app, it sleeps the device instantly. (In 2.x you had to wait for the app to load until the screen would go black.)*
    - double-tapping the caps-button on the keyboard puts you in caps lock. (I never tried this in 2.x though.)
    - when on shuffle in iPod.app, if you leave 'Now Playing,' it scrolls your list of music to show what is playing. (in 2.x it shows wherever you last scrolled to.)
    - when locked and you double-tap home button, it shows Now Playing song title, artist and album name, as opposed to 2.x where it just shows the song title.*
    - when you weren't playing a song, you're locked and you double-tap the home button, it shows the song name before you hit play. (on 2.x it didn't show the song name until after you've hit play and the song has started.)
    - when your iPhone or iPod asks you to join a wifi network and you decline, it doesn't show a pop-up saying that you can make your device not ask you to join a network by going through settings > wifi like in 2.x

there are tons of other changes but these are the ones I've found so far that I haven't seen or heard about anywhere else.

this is the best feature ever~!! instead of just waiting and waiting....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So, does 3.0 feel slower, faster or about the same as 2.2.1? Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Doesn't work for me on 3.0.. iPod and Mail apps are still running.

EDIT: Scratch that - figured out what I was doing wrong.

I don't believe it will run faster on a 3G iphone since the claim for better performance is with the new 3Gs. You just get the increased functionality by having the 3.0 firmware on any iPhone.

Thanks
    lol tried it on 2.2.1 and it doesn't work... Just for Kicks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    There is. It's called 'backgrounder' and it can let apps keep running in the background or force them to quit. I've been using it for months as its great. BTW, I'm on 2.x firmware as 3.0 isnt jailbreaked yet.
    Yes, 3.0 is jailbroken. Backgrounder doesn't work anymore in 3.0. YET. got it working yet backgrounder dev?!

Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    3.0 GM beta runs fast and great. This feature is for all those CRAPPY 'third party' apps out there on the app store that hang or crash or lock up. great feature. Muchly needed for those apps made by devs who don't test their crap. Thanks Apple!
    Last edited by brianturney; 06-14-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    It don't seem to work on 2g w/ 3.0GM... Boy sure can't wait till the 19th.
    Speaking of the 19th does anyone know what courier apple uses to ship?
    I drive for UPS, and I know it's not us. I asked the at&t rep yesterday the same question and he said "FedEx".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast