Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T 3.0 Firmware MMS and Tethering Details

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,276 Times in 652 Posts

Default AT&T 3.0 Firmware MMS and Tethering Details
    So we know that AT&T is going to be behind everyone else in allowing MMS and tethering once iPhone 3.0 firmware is released. The question is why. A BoyGenius report via one of their "AT&T Ninjas" fills in the supposed details.

MMS
    The reason AT&T is going to be slow on getting MMS provisioned for iPhones is laughable. To prevent MMS from working properly on iPhones AT&T has added "Opt Out MMS codes" to iPhone accounts preventing MMS. Once the codes are taken off accounts MMS will work fine on the iPhone with 3.0 firmware at no additional cost -- it is included with the standard $20 SMS/data plan required for iPhones already. The catch is AT&T has to removed these Op Out MMS codes from every iPhone account manually. Hah.

Tethering
    Tethering for AT&T is a different monster. The delay is reported to be completely intentional on AT&T's part and at the launch of iPhone firmware 3.0 tethering will be disabled entirely for AT&T customers. It will become an option at a later date as soon as AT&T has managed to cobble together na unlimited data tethering plan for the iPhone at expense of an additional $70/mo.

I cannot stop laughing at how awesome the MMS "fix" is. Manually going through millions of iPhone accounts.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

$70 on top of the $30 we already pay?
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

$70 a month? This is absurd considering their 3G express card is $50 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.sparky View Post
    $70 on top of the $30 we already pay?
    I think it's going to be $70 for Data and Tethering so you're looking at $40 for tethering which is around what tethering costs everywhere.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

mr.sparky (06-10-2009)

Thanks

tethering bluetooth via pdanet should work just fine though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
    tethering bluetooth via pdanet should work just fine though, right?
    Now that AT&T has come with an official solution, be VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL of going around their way. Like I've said before, it's really really easy for AT&T to know if you're tethering and now that it's going to be making it money they're going to be keeping a closer eye on iPhone accounts.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

creolesoul (06-15-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone nrowensby's Avatar
    Thanks

I must've somehow managed to get my OptOut Provision removed a while back because I have had no trouble with MMS in any of the 3.0beta's including the GM version that I'm running now

If they really need to edit each account manually for MMS then its safe to say their database consists of monkeys filing papers in gigantic filing cabinets.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dh96 For This Useful Post:

shadowtrainer02 (06-10-2009)

This is one of the disadvantages of having AT&T. When I had a Blackberry with Tmobile, tethering was free and unlimited. My brother who had the same blackberry but with AT&T, had to pay like $25 extra for tethering.

So if we have unlocked phones on T-Mobile, no additional costs??? Lets just hope we get an update of yellowsn0w for 3.0 soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    So if we have unlocked phones on T-Mobile, no additional costs??? Lets just hope we get an update of yellowsn0w for 3.0 soon...
    I think you have to have the blackberry data plan but you didnt have to pay extra for the tethering.

iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Thanks

i have been tethering my iPhone for a long time and all of my phones for 5 years or so before this one. if you are reasonable about your usage it is impossible for them to catch you.

as little as i need tethering i can not justify another dollar spent for it.

so you can either pay them this ridiculous $70 or JB and use PDANet or update your carrier profile if that continues to work like it is working now.

the iPhone can suck down some data and if you use it here and there and not to download movies to your laptop you should be safe.
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'm wondering what their policy will be once the 3.0 plan comes out on customers calling and requesting the code to be removed. It would seem to be that if it must be done manually then every subscriber will have it working at a different time depending on when they get around to your particular account. They can't just activate everyone all at once.

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I think it's going to be $70 for Data and Tethering so you're looking at $40 for tethering which is around what tethering costs everywhere.
    Well that's not too bad...if its really unlimited... my friend got kicked off from AT@T DSL and Comcast internet. he downloaded over 500 gigs in a month....
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

Damm. What are they thinking? come on, adding ridiculous prices as if the economic has bloom? what the hell?

Default Mms
    Quote Originally Posted by nrowensby View Post
    I must've somehow managed to get my OptOut Provision removed a while back because I have had no trouble with MMS in any of the 3.0beta's including the GM version that I'm running now
    I'm using the GM also, so how did you get the MMS icon on Messages? I downloaded an IPCC file and all I get is tethering?
    Last edited by irajames1176; 06-10-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Quote Originally Posted by mr.sparky View Post
    Well that's not too bad...if its really unlimited... my friend got kicked off from AT@T DSL and Comcast internet. he downloaded over 500 gigs in a month....
    Tell him to stop pirating and downloading illegal stuff so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Tell him to stop pirating and downloading illegal stuff so much.
    ^+1. I got an email from Charter a few months ago after I tried downloading a pirated movie. Attached to it was an email from the monitoring company advising Charter to terminate my services right away. I won't be doing that again!

I guess the AT&T customer service phone lines will be very busy on June 19th! As soon as 3.0 comes out i want my MMS!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast