+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 88

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: AT&T 3.0 Firmware MMS and Tethering Details

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Poseidon79 I'm wondering what their policy will be once the 3.0 plan comes out on customers calling and requesting the code to be removed. It would seem
...
  1. #21
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I'm wondering what their policy will be once the 3.0 plan comes out on customers calling and requesting the code to be removed. It would seem to be that if it must be done manually then every subscriber will have it working at a different time depending on when they get around to your particular account. They can't just activate everyone all at once.
    I'll try that a day or so once 3.0 comes out. How else will we know when MMS is working on our particular account?

  2. #22
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Now that AT&T has come with an official solution, be VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL of going around their way. Like I've said before, it's really really easy for AT&T to know if you're tethering and now that it's going to be making it money they're going to be keeping a closer eye on iPhone accounts.
    Well, from a programmer's standpoint : I can just setup an alert which automatically adds the tethering plan if I sense a spike in the number of different IP addresses the device is visiting in such short span given its limitations!! Not to mention the huge amount of data (7.2Mbps next year!!)...

    And oh, did I say this : they are not manually going to remove the MMS codes, just not practical to start with! A simple Python script should take care of it

    Hmmm, there is a way to download those without revealing too much about what you are downloading!

    If comcast followed suit, my service should have been alerted a million times for all song/movie downlaods to date!
    Last edited by kkiran; 06-10-2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Search Google for "Custom Firmware 3.1.2" if you don't have a Mac and are using Windows!

  3. #23
    Green Apple lshin037's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kkiran View Post
    If comcast followed suit, my service should have been alerted a million times for all song/movie downlaods to date!

    True. But I just dont want to risk it. My neighborhood is locked to Charter so if I get my services turned off, I can't run to Comcast or any other provider for service.

  4. #24
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Question Some one says just...
    1. Export DB list to Excel.
    2. Sort spreadsheet by iPhoneUser? column and TetherAccount? column.
    3. Change all values in OptOutMMS to NO.
    4. Save As…
    5. Import to DB.

    According to my brother?? Could it be that easy? Anyone tired? I am about to do it, so if no one else has I will update...

    THX to all.

  5. #25
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GMA's Iphoner View Post
    1. Export DB list to Excel.
    2. Sort spreadsheet by iPhoneUser? column and TetherAccount? column.
    3. Change all values in OptOutMMS to NO.
    4. Save As…
    5. Import to DB.

    According to my brother?? Could it be that easy? Anyone tired? I am about to do it, so if no one else has I will update...

    THX to all.
    Say Whaaaaaaaaaaat? lol

  6. #26
    iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Under a Rug
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Now that AT&T has come with an official solution, be VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL of going around their way. Like I've said before, it's really really easy for AT&T to know if you're tethering and now that it's going to be making it money they're going to be keeping a closer eye on iPhone accounts.
    i dont think it is as easy as you think. not trying to argue but i have been with several carriers that offer tethering packages and have tethered around their packages with no problems.

    during this time i also read many many posts on various forums by people getting busted but never once did anyone post that they got busted and only checked their email and surfed the web here and there while at an airport or park etc...

    every single post i read the person was grabbing music, getting videos, basically downloading a bunch of stuff.

    i occasionally maybe more like rarely need to tether and when i do it is not to get a movie but to get on my email or ICQ for work. my iPhone can use a lot more data in a day than i would use in a month of tethering with my needs. i am usually near a wifi spot or the iphone can do whatever i need.

    i only bring this up because it is nothing new and i do not believe that using it on occasion can throw up a red flag as PDANet users on WM phones having been using it for a more than half a decade over many carriers and it is a search to find a post of someone that was punished or discovered and again even harder or impossible to find a smart user that was caught.

    just my 2 cents
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

  7. #27
    iPhone? More like MyPhone nrowensby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by irajames1176 View Post
    I'm using the GM also, so how did you get the MMS icon on Messages? I downloaded an IPCC file and all I get is tethering?
    After loading the updated IPCC file, you need to go to Settings>Gerneral>Network>Cellular Data Network and enter MMS settings under the corresponding header.

    Here's a screenie of the setting that I'm using:

  8. #28
    Green Apple Sirhc35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    College Park, MD
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    So if I signed a new contract with AT&T (transferring from T-Mobile) and got an iPhone on my account would it be reasonable to assume that MMS should work out of the box due to the fact the I wasn't an AT&T customer before the 3.0 upgrade so there was never a need to enable the "Opt Out MMS codes." Just wondering how it will work for brand new customers.

  9. #29
    iPhone? More like MyPhone nrowensby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirhc35 View Post
    So if I signed a new contract with AT&T (transferring from T-Mobile) and got an iPhone on my account would it be reasonable to assume that MMS should work out of the box due to the fact the I wasn't an AT&T customer before the 3.0 upgrade so there was never a need to enable the "Opt Out MMS codes." Just wondering how it will work for brand new customers.
    That would make sense, but it's probably best not to make assumptions when it comes to AT&T and their practices concerning the iPhone... lol

  10. #30
    iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Under a Rug
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nrowensby View Post
    After loading the updated IPCC file, you need to go to Settings>Gerneral>Network>Cellular Data Network and enter MMS settings under the corresponding header.

    Here's a screenie of the setting that I'm using:

    i called ATT in the very beginning of 3.0 and had it turned on and my MMS worked for weeks then it stopped one day. my tethering has always worked but these settings did not get my MMS working again

    wish it was that easy
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

  11. #31
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Not True!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    So we know that AT&T is going to be behind everyone else in allowing MMS and tethering once iPhone 3.0 firmware is released. The question is why. A BoyGenius report via one of their "AT&T Ninjas" fills in the supposed details.

    MMS
    The reason AT&T is going to be slow on getting MMS provisioned for iPhones is laughable. To prevent MMS from working properly on iPhones AT&T has added "Opt Out MMS codes" to iPhone accounts preventing MMS. Once the codes are taken off accounts MMS will work fine on the iPhone with 3.0 firmware at no additional cost -- it is included with the standard $20 SMS/data plan required for iPhones already. The catch is AT&T has to removed these Op Out MMS codes from every iPhone account manually. Hah.

    Tethering
    Tethering for AT&T is a different monster. The delay is reported to be completely intentional on AT&T's part and at the launch of iPhone firmware 3.0 tethering will be disabled entirely for AT&T customers. It will become an option at a later date as soon as AT&T has managed to cobble together na unlimited data tethering plan for the iPhone at expense of an additional $70/mo.
    I just spent 40 minutes on the phone with AT&T. I told the lady I was a developer and had teh GSM release of 3.0 software, but needed the "opt out MMS" removed manually from my account to test the mms feature with my apps. She removed this, tried several software upgrades, gave me every possible authorization to send/receive mms, but it still doesn't work. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm pissed! WTF AT&T!!!!

  12. #32
    iPhoneaholic reanimationxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    355
    Thanks
    313
    Thanked 62 Times in 39 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by stickyd8 View Post
    I just spent 40 minutes on the phone with AT&T. I told the lady I was a developer and had teh GSM release of 3.0 software, but needed the "opt out MMS" removed manually from my account to test the mms feature with my apps. She removed this, tried several software upgrades, gave me every possible authorization to send/receive mms, but it still doesn't work. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm pissed! WTF AT&T!!!!
    First off, why do people feel the need to quote entire long unrelated posts? Second, THINK. The firmware is not released yet and MMS has not worked for devs yet.. why would it now that apple has announced the release date? Their MMS servers are obviously not active or something, and standard ATT reps will not have the option to do whatever it is they need to do in their system until 3.0 is actually released.

  13. #33
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by lshin037 View Post
    This is one of the disadvantages of having AT&T. When I had a Blackberry with Tmobile, tethering was free and unlimited. My brother who had the same blackberry but with AT&T, had to pay like $25 extra for tethering.
    That is TMO's only way to compete... much cheaper prices. Their coverage doesn;t compare to Verizon or ATT and neither does their user base.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  14. #34
    My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Woodland Hills, CA + Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    579
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 109 Times in 73 Posts

    Default AT&T is lying
    I just got off the phone with customer support and they were told they are not allowed to remove the "opt out" info on your account as it would violate Apple's policy. It has nothing to do with manually removing anything. LIES LIES LIES.

  15. #35
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    First off, why do people feel the need to quote entire long unrelated posts? Second, THINK. The firmware is not released yet and MMS has not worked for devs yet.. why would it now that apple has announced the release date? Their MMS servers are obviously not active or something, and standard ATT reps will not have the option to do whatever it is they need to do in their system until 3.0 is actually released.
    Okay, first of all Jackass, this is my first post on here, so excuse me for posted the story. Second, I just reset my iPhone and whatever the lady at AT&T did worked........so "OBVIOUSLY", you don't know what the hell you're talking about!!! Here's a pic to prove it!

    AT&T 3.0 Firmware MMS and Tethering Details-img_2031.png

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to stickyd For This Useful Post:

    vokal_guy (06-10-2009)

  17. #36
    The King Melech518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,704
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    That is TMO's only way to compete... much cheaper prices. Their coverage doesn;t compare to Verizon or ATT and neither does their user base.
    I have found that the coverage with AT&T and T-Mobile are almost exactly the same. They share all the same towers. T-Mobile actually has a data plan for their customers on iPhones for $24.99/month. Everyone knows that AT&T is just raping all their customers with their pricing because they have an exclusive on the iPhone. To be honest, I do not know WTF you were trying to say in your response. I think you are a moron and should read what you type before posting in the future. There are other topics to discuss this issue, not here...
    Last edited by Melech518; 06-10-2009 at 03:55 PM.

  18. #37
    iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Under a Rug
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    @stickyd

    you are correct. my MMS worked after i installed the first beta 3.0 and called ATT and had a tech remove my block or "opt-out". it did stop weeks later.

    just wanted to back you up
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

  19. #38
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    i been able to do the teathering and mms for awhile too

  20. #39
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Moreno Valley, California, United States
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

    Stupid question but will mms, tethering, and all the other features work on the 2g iPhone? What will/wont work on 3.0 for the 2g?

  21. #40
    Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Independence, LA
    Posts
    5,642
    Thanks
    656
    Thanked 765 Times in 592 Posts

    My mms work's it must have been fixed at some point in time.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts