Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 24 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.0 June 17th. Or Today.

Does the new Voice Control only work on the new Hardware? (i.e. 3GS?)

Quote Originally Posted by rustyhoge View Post
    Yes, but I would guess that might change...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

odd...

my carrier logo is still the modded carrier logo...

I did a full restore, why does it say "Oceania" as opposed to AT&T?

Not that I am complaining, but it is somewhat odd...
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

yes

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think this tethering business is like it is on normal phones where you can just plug and play without the network knowing your actually tethering.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

From the factory yes, but just wait and see

WOW, so much fun reading ALL these pages, I think a group post is called for....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Apple. View Post
    no there is a baseband update unlock will not work and there probably wont be an unlock for the next 4-6 months or so, its a painstaking process im sure.

as for unsupported sim message to bypass this if u want to have 3.0 on ur phone anyway like me and wait for turbosim unlock, get an att sim to activate then whenever u want to sync turn airplane mode on then plug it in, it will sync
    How sure are you on that time table? Or is that the unlock time table for the 3G S? I don't know about you but I'm very good at reading between the lines, so I'm pretty sure the time table you give for the 3G is WAYYY off.

As far as tethering I've been doing it with my Blackberry for 2 years now on AT&T and T-Mobile. Never payed for the plan, it just works.

But people just be patient, the week of the 21st should be VERY interesting.

i've been on 3.0 for a while so i dont really miss my themes and stuff... in fact i kinda like it stock and it makes it feel like a new iphone... and can't wait for 32gb but now im debating whether to get black or white again *argh...*
    iPhone 4S 64GB White 5.1 UL | i7 Hackintosh 3.5 Ghz 32GB/ 2x128GB SSD, 2x1TB HD, 2x3TB HD, 2TB HD 10.7.3

Thanks

Gold Master = Final Version

At least thats what i thought when i stayed up late and woke up to go to work this morning. The last 4 odd pages of this thread have just confused my whole perception of the 3.0 GM. Devs get it early just to iron out any bugs in their apps ready for the 17th?

Where the hell has all this not final version stuff come from?

Can a dev or someone who truly knows what they are talking about just confirm that the GM is the final version prepd for release on the 17th?

The last few pages seem to just contradict everything that was posted before it?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

GM (Gold Master) historically means that it is ready to be burn on CD. Some people that because you download it apple may change some things before the 17Th but don't forget that it must be already in all the iPhone 3GS already producted.

Some yes it means that it is final. Will it be in this case? I really think so

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    Gold Master = Final Version

At least thats what i thought when i stayed up late and woke up to go to work this morning. The last 4 odd pages of this thread have just confused my whole perception of the 3.0 GM. Devs get it early just to iron out any bugs in their apps ready for the 17th?

Where the hell has all this not final version stuff come from?

Can a dev or someone who truly knows what they are talking about just confirm that the GM is the final version prepd for release on the 17th?

The last few pages seem to just contradict everything that was posted before it?
    dude, its called searching and reading. GM = NOT the final version, aka why they still have time to iron out their last kinks before the REAL FINAL version comes out on the 17th. FOR THE LAST TIME Gold Master is just beta 6!

Wiki admits its contradicting itself [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle]Software release life cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The term Gold Master IIRC came from CD's where the master copy was actually cut in gold and all other copies were made from the 'Gold Master' so, in theory, this should be what is released.

Apple could make last minute changes but I believe the only thing that would prompt them to do so is if a 'yellowsn0w' was leaked for this BB and they could fix the exploit in the BB for the release.

If I understand things correctly the GM is what will be released to the public on the 17th barring some major upset.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I have got it wrong!

[Edit] I didn't see neckaros' post before mine - like he says, they will probably be using this FW in new phones already. It is as close to final as possible. it's certainly not Beta 6[/Edit]
    Last edited by confucious; 06-09-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

ninthchamber99 (06-09-2009)

ok so, there's a lot of mention about losing your theme if you're using 3.0, I assume this means that Winterboard wont work with 3.0? Is there anything in the works for theme support for 3.0? I really want to upgrade when it drops, but I love my theme!!
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

Thanks

no disrespect, but i have played the whole search and read game. I have been around these parts slightly longer than you and have played through the updates many more times than yourself.

The great thing about this site is that people generally dont say "search", even when it is necessary to say it, they simply help. I have also just got home from a long day at work and about 4 or 5 pages of noobs spouting crap since my last post has changed my perception on everything.

Seems very odd for the first beta firmware not to require a dev account to activate, almost as if its the real 3.0, almost.

And they are going to struggle to get feedback from devs on this firmware, come up with a new 3.0 and then load it onto every 3GS before they hit the stores. Surely that would be called 3.1 or 3.01?

I am going to state that this is the final version. If you have an Apple support document, or any other document/link from a reliable source to prove this wrong then please share it, because i have seen none so far.

DOUBLE POST:

Thankyou confucious, as i believed about 5 odd pages ago. now my minds back on track again. noobs do my head in postin crap
    Last edited by reeko; 06-09-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Suck it up, Sucker

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Wiki admits its contradicting itself Software release life cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term Gold Master IIRC came from CD's where the master copy was actually cut in gold and all other copies were made from the 'Gold Master' so, in theory, this should be what is released.

Apple could make last minute changes but I believe the only thing that would prompt them to do so is if a 'yellowsn0w' was leaked for this BB and they could fix the exploit in the BB for the release.

If I understand things correctly the GM is what will be released to the public on the 17th barring some major upset.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I have got it wrong!

[Edit] I didn't see neckaros' post before mine - like he says, they will probably be using this FW in new phones already. It is as close to final as possible. it's certainly not Beta 6[/Edit]
    I want to first say that Confucious, as well as the mods on this site and a few others have personally taught me alot about my phone, the processes involved with jailbreaking/hacking/general understanding. Since I first joined this site, I knew nothing about the process and i feel I have learned a lot from you guys/gals(if anyone is a female). I read these forums everyday and before I was gonna post about GM vs. Beta, you posted this post. I was like the other guy who said he thought he had it figured out but was confused by the numerous posts. But I did my digging and the above is correct.

More than likely, the 'GM' everyone is talking about will be the final version but a last minute addition, like preventing jailbreaking based on newly released tools, could be added.

I only have a few questions:
    1) I assume (even though you should never assume) that based on previous beta versions that 3.0 should be easily jailbroken once the officially released FW on June 17th is here. True or false?
    2) Was/Will the problem with Winterboard corrected in time for the release of the official 3.0?
    3) Will we have to wait until June 19th for the 3GS to be released it ensure that the new device and the official 3.0 FW can be easily jailbroken.

Personally, I have a 2G with AT&T on 2.2.1 that is jailbroken. I wanted to upgrade to the 3G right around the time the first rumors started swirling that a new device was on the way, so I decided to wait for the new device. I simply want to know (since I understand the true answers cant be answered until both device and FW are released to the public) what everyone thinks will be a time frame for FW 3.0 on a 3GS to be jailbroken? I dont really care about unlocking since I am an ATT customer anyway.

Thanks

I have absolutely no insider information but i think the jailbreaking part will be available just after june 19th.

Thanks

MuscleNerd of the dev-team has said on his twitter that the updated PwnageTool + QuickPwn are on schedule for release next week (probably on the 17th itself)

I doubt Winterboard will be ready for the release of 3.0. There was a big wait for things like that from 1.x to 2.x but people like saurik have had 3.0 for a while now so it depends how hard they have been working at it. I would say within a week or 2 we will have the important ones like winterboard.

And finally no one knows anything about the 3GS. The dev team will buy some on the 19th and begin their testing. The ipod touch 2G took signifcantly longer to jailbreak than any other touch/iphone before it so i wouldnt expect a jailbreak on the 3GS for a while.

Ive heard conflicting reports so far, but hopefully restoring to a custom 3.0 from pwnagetool, keeping the BB at 02.28 will allow yellowsn0w to run on 3.0, or at least they can find a way, otherwise quite a few unlocked 2.x iPhones are gonna be hittin ebay soon i think.

Suck it up, Sucker

19. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

ninthchamber99 (06-09-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Rumour has it that you will have to download and install the final manually as iTunes won't recognise it as an upgrade.

How is youtube better? Do you finally get full quality over 3G?

No, you get unlimited data on a standard iPhone Tariff - the 14/month is in addition to that.
    YouTube is nice on 3.0 because you get more options with it, you can see related videos, read and add comments, you can subscribe to users, no full quality over 3g though, but it's a better experience overall.

Thanks

Default cydia
    so wut works with the new 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    MuscleNerd of the dev-team has said on his twitter that the updated PwnageTool + QuickPwn are on schedule for release next week (probably on the 17th itself)

I doubt Winterboard will be ready for the release of 3.0. There was a big wait for things like that from 1.x to 2.x but people like saurik have had 3.0 for a while now so it depends how hard they have been working at it. I would say within a week or 2 we will have the important ones like winterboard.

And finally no one knows anything about the 3GS. The dev team will buy some on the 19th and begin their testing. The ipod touch 2G took signifcantly longer to jailbreak than any other touch/iphone before it so i wouldnt expect a jailbreak on the 3GS for a while.

Ive heard conflicting reports so far, but hopefully restoring to a custom 3.0 from pwnagetool, keeping the BB at 02.28 will allow yellowsn0w to run on 3.0, or at least they can find a way, otherwise quite a few unlocked 2.x iPhones are gonna be hittin ebay soon i think.
    Thanks a lot man. As soon as you posted your message, i read in another thread almost the same thing you just said. I guess I will have to change icons and things by changing the stock images/sounds like I did on 1.x so long ago or just wait until winterboard or the next version (first is was summerboard, then winterboard, i guess next fallboard, lol) to be released.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ninthchamber99 For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (06-09-2009)

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 24 ... LastLast