Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Find My iPhone" - We're Watching. And Can Delete.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The fact that this is limited to only those with a MobileMe account it retarded.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benjiuk View Post
    Can someone tell me the benifit of that please....I aint knocking it but I just see me getting my phone nicked and logging into the app...getting a call telling me to "go ahead and wipe it cos I was going to anyway soon as I got it home...oh and thanks for the phone errrr is this a freephone number ?"
    Some put a higher value on their data than on their hardware. If you are storing data that you don't want to get in anyone else's hands, this is definitely a valuable tool.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The fact that this is limited to only those with a MobileMe account it retarded.
    Agree. It works though and is handy since most cell phones/carriers can't do this.

yeah but if the phone gets on to the hands of jailbreakers you can say goodbye to your iphone. this is just another reason for them to make money using apps. because in reality they can actually track where the phone is through the IMIE number. im with ATT and everytime i change my phone with out telling ATT my phone changes too when i log in on ATT site to check my minutes and data usage.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    you really think apple is gonna promote something for free without it directly being linked to something that charges?

and yes, we know, the phone wipe is not gonna get your phone back!
    it is to compete with the blackberrys sensitive files wipe so iphones can become the next business phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jjr3211's Avatar
    Thanks

well i guess it is kinda cool but it also scares the hell out of me!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I think Apple should have made it to where if you lose your phone (gets stolen, etc) and you remote wipe the device, that the device's UDID becomes locked and the phone couldn't be restored without your intervention. That feature would be a great idea.

Remote wipe is good to have (and I'm glad to see that people other than EAS users can get it now), but what if the thief jailbreaks the phone and not let it get onto the cell or a valid wifi network? Then the devices data is open to be taken from anyway. Also, yes, remote wipe was to allow the iPhone to be a more 'business'-capable device, but too many of us use it for personal use, not business use.

Thefts of iPods/iPhones/iWhatevers occur more often than BBs, WM devices, or other business phones, because thieves know they can resell Apple devices on eBay/CL/etc for mad money.

So, it'd be nice to make it to where the phone can't be messed with, in any way, without you authorizing it. It's s simple concept now, with Apple's developments.

Apple and app developers can tell what UDID the device has, and obviously Apple has managed to force the UDID verification check upon updates or restores (and upon connection to iTunes) of beta software, so they can implememnt a UDID check upon reactivations/restores/connection to iTunes (either direct verification of UDID via the web or a via a cached blacklist/whitelist that's updated periodically by Apple).

I think more iPhone users would rather be able to have a lost or stolen iPhone become a 'no way to use it without the original owner's consent' deadweight to the thief/'finder' than to just let them be able to reinstall the iPhone software and have it be a working device again (to sell or be used by the thief or 'finder').

Plus, it can be simple for the end user to restore the ability to allow it to be restored/used/reactivated/etc by a click of a link in MobileMe. Remove the UDID block, and iTunes gets an update to 'allow this device to work again' upon the next time the device is connected to iTunes.

Just my thoughts, take them or leave them.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 06-09-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typos
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    Is that y ur called fallguy, cos u drop everything?
    No , its because my AT&T contract is up in the fall.

I thought of this idea before.

Many things Apple thought of in face I thought of it before. What a coincidence.

I thought that wouldn't it be great if I can find songs that are similar to the mood of the current song that I have. Similar genre maybe. Awhile ago Apple came up with iTunes' iPod Genius which chooses songs that are similar to your songs.

Now I imagine myself using the iPhone and have it all set up to my liking, themes and apps all set. Numbers and photos are all in as well and if I lose my phone, it would be really really painful. So I thought of having a device that could actually track where my current phone is and send it a message. Now that's the exact same thing that came out in "Find My iPhone".

Daaamn the next thing that comes to my mind, I'm going to patent it. LOL.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

The device should be able to be locked down. I understand the need to wipe pertinent data, but a lockdown would be better. It wouldn't make me feel any better if someone else gets to continue using the phone after the wipe.

I'm wondering though, how close does the location of your phone displays on the computer. What if it shows this person is in a skyscraper. How exactly are you going to find him is what I'm thinking. Lol.

Maybe activate an alarm sound at the maximum volume of the phone? Sure it doesn't help with the skyscraper issue but it would help in a small situation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

This message will self destruct in 3....2....1.....

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This Pointless If The Phone Is Off .......which the guy who would of stole it..is the first thing he would do.

I've had remote wipe capability on my WM devices for some time - but now can't have it on my iPhone because I don't have Mobile Me? That Sucks!

Apart from the USA, are there any other countries that don't block the IMEI of stolen phones?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I hope someone finds a way of activating this without having to have a mobileme account.
    My guide to customising Buuf2! / Create your own Buuf2 icons! / Buuf2 iPhone wallpapers flickr pool!
    Having trouble finding a Buuf2 icon? Search the thread with the paperclip!

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

CPJR: I agree! A little C4 in the face goes a long way!

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

Its prob best i dont find the person that takes my iphone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12