Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NEW: iPhone 3GS - The S is for Speed

Ok, so I broke down and ordered my 3GS today, and added a second line to my account. I figured that since every once in a while I run into a situation where I'm modding it, or testing so many different apps, that it's actually crashed and has had to be Restored, it's good to have a backup phone. Even a few times it took me days to figure out why it was stuck or frozen, so it's good to have a backup anyway when one of them is out of service for a little. I think I'll keep my current 3G the way it is for a few months until I get the 3GS up to speed. Who knows, I might even sell it down the road to someone that wants a 3G jailbroken that's loaded with Slingapp, Tricker 3G, iBlacklist, and so on.

I realize the S in 3GS is for "speed" but what exactly makes the phone faster? I've been trying to figure this out for days now. Does it have more memory? if it does Appl just made a sale, the 3G's 128 MB is pathetic, I'd rather have 512 mb of RAM than 32 G of HD space. Does it have a faster processor? if so Apple still has a sale. I'd prefer more memory but the processor will still make a significant difference.

also, will there be a jailbreak available for it as soon as it comes out? I know there won't be but I can dream right? the thing will probably take months to break like the first 3G did...

They already jailbroke 3.0 and I think they're just waiting to see what final release is gonna be installed and released on 6-17. If it's what they already have we're in luck.

Quote Originally Posted by frede View Post
    I read all 26 pages, so be kind. My thought is to upgrade my son's "eligible" Sony phone to a 32GB 3GS ($299), switch the sim cards, take the 3GS and give him my 16GB 3G phone (eligible Dec 2009 or $499.) Any problems here?

Note: He's been using my old 2G iPhone, but the screen is failing.

Nope, thats a perfect scenario

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    They already jailbroke 3.0 and I think they're just waiting to see what final release is gonna be installed and released on 6-17. If it's what they already have we're in luck.
    The jailbreak foe FW3.0 should be released on 19/6 and I have a feeling the Dev Team have more in store for us on Friday too
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pared View Post
    I realize the S in 3GS is for "speed" but what exactly makes the phone faster? I've been trying to figure this out for days now. Does it have more memory? if it does Appl just made a sale, the 3G's 128 MB is pathetic, I'd rather have 512 mb of RAM than 32 G of HD space. Does it have a faster processor? if so Apple still has a sale. I'd prefer more memory but the processor will still make a significant difference.

also, will there be a jailbreak available for it as soon as it comes out? I know there won't be but I can dream right? the thing will probably take months to break like the first 3G did...
    I don't think u look harder enough... http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...aking-out.html
    Hardware specs are posted at the link.

Cheers

Default how disappointing
    New??!! Get real apple....this "new" 3gs is nothing new...perhaps your engineers should look up the word n e w in the dictionary....most of your modest changes can be accomplished with 3rd party apps...i was hoping for something really n e w !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A new processor, more memory, proper video recording (I said proper) and compass may not be what you wanted but it is a new iPhone.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk311 View Post
    Can't believe they are gonna charge us full price if we already own the 3g. That is total BS. Looks like I'll be waiting another year til my contract is up.
    I agree this pricing for current AT&T 3G users is a total rip-off...

The 3G Iphone is a great device, but there comes a point at which one decides to switch providers to one with greater customer orientation to its existing loyal customers. This is the kind of repetitive behavior by AT&T that makes me want to switch to another provider even without the Iphone...

You signed a 2 year contract with AT&T - why should they give you ANY discount?
    O2 here in the UK don't!

The reason is simple, when you have a MONOPOLY on a particular unit, it would be the decent thing to do to provide your existing and loyal customers with access to the latest and greatest technology.

Default some one please help meeee
    I have the iphone 3g and i was thinkn about gettin the new software. Do i have to restore my phone to re download the new 3.0s. also if i restore will i loose all my contacts. how can i save my phone numbers? can anyone help me i would appreciate it.
    u can email me at [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by rempecent View Post
    I have the iphone 3g and i was thinkn about gettin the new software. Do i have to restore my phone to re download the new 3.0s. also if i restore will i loose all my contacts. how can i save my phone numbers? can anyone help me i would appreciate it.
    u can email me at [email protected]
    When you connect to iTunes, make sure to sync it to outlook or the Mac equivalent. That way, once you install 3.0 (assuming it does wipe your phone, I can't remember tbh) you can just sync again and it will pull all the contacts down from the PC/Mac.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Amraam For This Useful Post:

rempecent (06-15-2009)

Default wow
    after reading this whole thread, and seeing what apple did with the new iphone... (or dusted off older 3g)... it makes me want to buy one, crack it open, and poop in it. then take it to apple and say there is something wrong with it. Hopefuly then they will realize it is full of *****.

I think THAT alone would be worth the BS pricetag. What do you guys think? would make for a nice youtube video? (well, other than the graphic parts)

Banned
    Thanks

If any 3G owners want to upgrade to 3G S for a lot cheaper offer than $699 or even $499 and you can deal with a diifrent phone number, all you have to do is buy a new 3G S and cancel your 3G contract. It cost $175 minus $5 every month you have your plan. I just had a samsung and needed somthing better for work but I still had seventeen months left on my contract so i bought a blackberry on a seperate, single plan for $299 instead of $649 got it activated at the store then went home and canceled my contract for my samsung. ATT was pissed I did that so they wouldn't switch my number. It's still more than $299, but for a faster 32GB iphone i would pay $419 after 11 months. And yes, I have a crackberry and an iPhone. Something to think about if ya really want it!!!

Thanks

So AT&T would still charge u for a new contract
    If u purchase the new iphone off eBay or somewhere
    Else & just switch your sim card??? How
    Would that work?

I just started my contract this year so that sux ☹

iPhone? More like MyPhone prouddad.215's Avatar
    Thanks

i bought my 16gb 3g iphone from best buy, and have been paying the $14.95/month insurance for the past 4 months, since new. If ANYTHING happens, even water damage, i get a free new iphone. Now, i wonder, if i wait a few months, break my iphone, do you think theres a chance they would give me the 3gs, or just a replacement new 3g?
    its just robbery that we have to pay that much more than a new iphone buyer has to
    ****CHECK OUT MY PHOTO ALBUM WITH MY HAYABUSA, CARS, AND WIFE***************87 mustang notch 1300+rwhp, low 8 sec. 1/4 times
    *2004 suzuki hayabusa turbo. 1397cc kit, lots of boost, and 348 rwhp. 212 mph top speed, on highway. low 8 sec. 1/4 times, and 150mph wheelies

So the loyal AT&T customers pay more than the bandwagon noobs?

GTFOH.

The day Apple signs on elsewhere I am leaving that POS company.

confirm. these jerks told me they would honor my 30 day exchange because i argued with them that i didnt even really have the phone 30 days (3 days shipping and 5 days when i had to send it to apple for a fix). this chump tells me he is going to note my account and i have to go to a retail att store to give my 3g back. i go to the store, no notes. this guy didnt note anything. so of course, im pissed. they say its apples policy and they cant break it. they all seriously live in fear of apple, like if they slip up they are going to get sent a video of apple employees raping their loved ones...whatever. so i told them fine, dont break the policy...credit my account the 200 difference that your REP said i was going to get it for. they threw me a 50 dollar credit. i am still to this day, fighting with them because i am well aware that they are allowed to approve up to a 250 credit without even supervisor approval. oh and on top of all this, i keep getting the same "well there is no note of that" response. obviously there isnt, if there was i would have returned my phone and i wouldnt be wasting hours of my life trying to get you to pull that reps call. its just no one there accepts responsibility. i actually do csr work and if there is ever a dispute between what a customer says and what i say, my call is immediately pulled and reviewed. no one seems to be able to do this there. att is by far, the absolute worst customer service i have ever dealt with in my life. if t-mobile 3g was compatible, i would pay the early term fee and go with them. believe it or not, i would rather deal with ****** phone service then ****** customer service.
    Last edited by brahby; 06-16-2009 at 12:38 AM. Reason: i can't spell

I have placed the pre-order with AT & T for the new iPhone 3GS, and I am looking for the new case for my puppy. I found the site dsstyles.com selling the cases for iPhone 3GS, and there are free gifts for every order, including screen protector & soft pouch. I am going to order one to see whether there is free gift provided

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast