+ Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Rumor Roundup for WWDC 2009

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
With true push notifications FINALLY coming, I don't care too much for backgrounding, but would REEEEEAAAAALY love backgrounding on at least the Pandora App. I hate having to close it
    Green Apple
    Thanks

With true push notifications FINALLY coming, I don't care too much for backgrounding, but would REEEEEAAAAALY love backgrounding on at least the Pandora App. I hate having to close it out and stop the music to respond to a text or email.

Thanks

"The iPhone OS was never designed for multitasking so I doubt if we will ever see full multitasking especially as Apple have stated the battery drain would be too great. If we did then double the memory would not be enough. One of the biggest complaints about WM is how it slows down when lots of apps are open even though it's supposed to manage the memory 'efficiently'. More background like features such as the push notification, is probably the most sensible course for Apple to take."

And OS X (wich is what iPhone OS basically is) was never designed to run in low memory conditions....Just look back at the pre Tiger era, that's what everybody complained about "Macs are too slow! Macs are too slow!"

And on a second thought iPhone OS IS capable of multitasking even the hackers from the Dev-Team have agreed with Apple that iPhone OS is indeed a straped down version of OS X and that their insfrastructure is basically the same....the shell on iPhone OS was not design to do much backgrounding ( your apps that come in the dock are actually backgrounding incase you didn't know)... And that would probably be Apples biggest problem to rewrite the shell to allow at least two more apps in the background and egenier a way to let us choose which apps they are, and which ones we want to close... That would leave us with 6 spots to background, the Palm Pre does 7 I guess 6 is conpetible isn't it?? But that's something that Papá Jobs has to think of if he really wants to make "The best smart phone". And I'm pretty sure a bump of RAM can do the trick of handling 2 more apps in the background... See anything is possible kids you just have to think the old Apple way....Think different

"The iPhone OS was never designed for multitasking so I doubt if we will ever see full multitasking especially as Apple have stated the battery drain would be too great. If we did then double the memory would not be enough. One of the biggest complaints about WM is how it slows down when lots of apps are open even though it's supposed to manage the memory 'efficiently'. More background like features such as the push notification, is probably the most sensible course for Apple to take."

And OS X (wich is what iPhone OS basically is) was never designed to run in low memory conditions....Just look back at the pre Tiger era, that's what everybody complained about "Macs are too slow! Macs are too slow!"

And on a second thought iPhone OS IS capable of multitasking even the hackers from the Dev-Team have agreed with Apple that iPhone OS is indeed a straped down version of OS X and that their insfrastructure is basically the same....the shell on iPhone OS was not design to do much backgrounding ( your apps that come in the dock are actually backgrounding incase you didn't know)... And that would probably be Apples biggest problem to rewrite the shell to allow at least two more apps in the background and egenier a way to let us choose which apps they are, and which ones we want to close... That would leave us with 6 spots to background, the Palm Pre does 7 I guess 6 is conpetible isn't it?? But that's something that Papá Jobs has to think of if he really wants to make "The best smart phone". And I'm pretty sure a bump of RAM can do the trick of handling 2 more apps in the background... See anything is possible kids you just have to think the old Apple way....Think different
    Last edited by WalkingBird; 06-06-2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

The iPhone OS was never designed as a multitasking OS even though it is based on one.
    It has, as I said, limited capabilities.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

People moaning about wishing they had backgrounding is beyond me. Your on an iPhone hacking site but you don't want to use Backgrounder to background apps. To the guy who wants to background Pandora, why don't just get Backgrounder from Cydia, works fine for me with Beejive and Wunderadio.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 06-06-2009 at 01:19 PM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Not everyone here jailbreaks surprisingly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Not everyone here jailbreaks surprisingly.
    How can you 'ModMyi' if you don't jailbreak?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    How can you 'ModMyi' if you don't jailbreak?
    True.....
    And going back to the subject of backgrounding IT IS POSSIBLE if some hackers (Saurik) managed to get backgrounding to work to a sertain level with little to no documentation on the hard/software what so ever... I think Jobs and the Gods at Apple can really get something worked out with a nice GUI and all...all where asking for here is just a couple or three more than the ones allready run on the background to do the same just with a nice GUI and some options. So when your playing "NFS" and your g-friend calls your progress is not lost.... Or what ever!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    gosh. all these supposed leaks... ya gotta give it to those folks at Apple. They sure know how to advertise! :}

backgrounding would be nice. As WalkingBird says, all we need to do is have a lot of people ask in a way that Apple can't refuse, but i think the problem here is that Apple already has a lot of iPhone problems on their hands, what with the AppStore and developers' requests and thinking up new features for the next iPhone and the next and so on, if they add another iPhone problem to the bunch (like backgrounding), they would start getting complaints like "OH NO, MY MAIL APP IS CRASHING! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO ADD BACKGROUNDING!!! NOW I CAN"T PLAY SIMS 3 ANYMORE BECAUSE I'M RUNNING PANDORA AND MAIL AND BEEJIVE IM AND THE SMS APP IN THE BACKGROUND!!!" or something like that, and they would have to deal with those customers. Of course, they could simply have a switch in the settings app to disable backgrounding for all apps, but then some people wouldn't know how to use that switch...
    Last edited by btung; 06-06-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: i likes to talkz and eat egg salad sandwichez.
    -btung

i gotz this whole coding thing down

iPhone? More like MyPhone Farrizx's Avatar
    Thanks

i made a concept of the iphone on photoshop based on the info

OK, did another one with the front and back

Last edited by Farrizx; 06-06-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I bet you are pretty close with that one

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks

^ I saw that one. I hope the iphone gets ichat. That would be cool

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    ^ I saw that one. I hope the iphone gets ichat. That would be cool
    Be careful what you wish for.

NEW IPHONE - WITH 3G AND VIDEO CONFERENCING / ICHAT*!!!

*new iphone requires the iphone media bundle, a $60/month value that includes unlimited data, unlimited messages, and unlimited video calls

Watch AT&T squeeze every possible penny out of video calls if the new phone does them. Oh, and don't forget tethering**!

** an extra $15/month

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

^ I know they will I will gladly pay it tho. I think more like $30 for tethering

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    ^ I know they will I will gladly pay it tho. I think more like $30 for tethering
    I'm so happy I finally qualify for a 15% corporate discount with AT&T through work.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^^^I saw that pic somewhere....oh wait....here in another thread. Lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ^^Ya I meant to post it here not in the other thread. Oops 

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iPhone and at&t
    I had the corperate AT&T discout untill I got an iphone they told me that with an iPhone that the corperate discount no longer applied. I don't think that will change any time soon.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

An expansion slot would be great!
    But from all the leaked pictures I've seen.. Not gonna happen =/
    Matte back would be a big improvement, I havn't dropped my phone and
    I have a huge crack on the plastic back... OLED would be nice if prices remain the same.

Thanks

FYI to the latest 2 pictures making the rounds (one posted at the top of this page)

LEDs don't match. They're fake.