Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Next iPhone to Come in "Fast" and "Slow" Versions

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Apple/China drama?
    iPhone inches closer to China ? The Register

that is some of it, and that is march 5 2009, so they are just no getting the iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    What extra components? I am not certain but I believe it is just an enhanced antennae that is needed to receive HSDPA which should not cost much, if any, more than a 3G antennae. I would have thought the costs of producing two different devices would exceed any savings. Do you know different?
    ifixitanno.jpg (image)

This is my reference, you can see the 2 chips, one for edge and one for 3g. IF the phone is 3G+ only, why have the edge chip?
    Last edited by designgears; 05-28-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Apple have been negotiating with different Chinese carriers and that article was talking about Unicom who, I believe, use UMTS but they finally settled on one that uses TS-CDMA so will have to produce a separate version for China only (no one else uses TS-CDMA)- that's old news and not a drama.

All phones will need a chip for 'GSM/edge' as this is the standard GSM chip which 3G falls back to when it can't get a 3G signal.

The second chip will have to be either 3G only OR 3G/HSDPA and this is the problem - they will have to use 2 different chipsets which, I believe will be more of a problem than it solves. Unless the 3G only chips are a lot cheaper than the HSDPA chips I can't see that it will be worth it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

16GB/32GB AT&T has stopped selling 8GB 3G model's already

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ReVan For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (06-03-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

The current 3G model probably doesn't support some of the new features, such as video recording.
    never heard of cycorder?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123