+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Next iPhone to Come in "Fast" and "Slow" Versions

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The more I read the posts and comments I pull away thinking same iphone design in 16 and 32 gb versions and different processor speeds and of course 3.0 update
    Thanks

The more I read the posts and comments I pull away thinking same iphone design in 16 and 32 gb versions and different processor speeds and of course 3.0 update firmware that I hope can be unlocked for my tmobile service. The HTC touch had a rubber satin finish that would be nice but think think apple would not change the formula and realize the 3G was created for the average consumer to afford cuz the original iphone costs too much!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Timberlake says...."Apple's bringing rubber back..."

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Rubbers suck!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    yay first for once, j/k

i hope the black rubber is false
    it will hang on ur pockets

plus, i think they are gonna keep it all the same except the 3.0 software and 16/32gb options only.

just my 2 cents
    didnt even think of that. rubber back clings to inside of pockets. wow that would not be wise for apple.Metal back was sleek and sexy anyways.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

oh god... slow, fast and rubber backs? Of course most of us would want the fast one.... but rubber backs? I would want to be able to choose what one I would like... and I will agree with cash... I liked the metal back better myself....

Blah..... rubber back and probably be all black.....
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 05-26-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Changed wording just a tad.. :o)

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

Here is my thoughts... I still live in a (slow) Edge area. And in downtown Nashville at Vanderbilt there is no 3G! Very few spots in Nashville are stable 3G areas. So how about worry about getting the areas that have crappy speeds, sped up to 3G and then get these areas on the FAST speeds.
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't get it... why does everyone suddenly think that there will be an 8gb and a 32gb? Why would apple NOT upgrade the sizes to 16gb and 32gb? (like they have done with EVERY SINGLE iPod update since it's creation)

I just don't see why they would break the tradition now... and why? An 8gb version wouldn't be THAT much cheaper for them... and is slowly becoming too small for us.

Thanks

The rumours of the 8Gb/32Gb seem to stem from a report of the 16Gb being discontinued. I think it far more likeley that that is related to the fact that their will be a new 16Gb (along with a 32Gb) and so they are trying to stop existing 16Gb earlier than the 8Gb for which, i believe, there will be no direct replacement. Inbelieve the new models will be 16Gb/32Gb

@Napoleon Phoneapart - there will almost certainly be new devices, my question is why would they restrict the speed on some versions. One that is capable of 7.2Mb is compatible with 3G so why produce a 2nd version restricted to 3G only?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (06-03-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royalnewjersey View Post
    I don't get it... why does everyone suddenly think that there will be an 8gb and a 32gb? Why would apple NOT upgrade the sizes to 16gb and 32gb? (like they have done with EVERY SINGLE iPod update since it's creation)

I just don't see why they would break the tradition now... and why? An 8gb version wouldn't be THAT much cheaper for them... and is slowly becoming too small for us.
    I agree, but i should point out that the iPod classic went from being either 80/160gb to 120 gb, so they have done some strange "upgrades" before now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shabz_de_don's Avatar
    Thanks

hmmm, sounds godd.... but rubber back... i donno about that idea... sounds bad, yea ill stick with me metal back!

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

Thanks

I always said to go with a composite back . I mean their making a ton of money on everything else (app store , itunes ), why not splurge a little and give the consumers something that will hold up to the every day wear and tear . Well the answer to that is because they dont have to !

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jordo_6's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.D View Post
    If it's like the Motorola phones it will be nice.
    You really think so? yes the rubber was good on the black or blue Motorola V3x but I hated how it would peal off through time.

But guess things can't stay mint forever.

Thanks

The reason there is a plastic back on the 3G is nothing to do with saving money and everything to do with letting the signal get through to the 3G antennae.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So.... I am guessing that the slow 3G is just like the current 3G version? And it will always be as slow as it is now? Even after any future software upgrades?

I guess I don't have to eat the whole "apple", to know that its bad...... I think I have my last iPhone for sure.

Thanks

The current one is HSDPA up to 3.6Mbs and is certainly not slow. What speeds do you get on speedtest?

The 3G one will be a LOT slower as its limited to 384kbs

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the metal and plastic backings. Made it easy to set it on the table an spin it when I was bored. I feel bad for all you guys who can't enjoy the 3g coverage. I guess I lucked out. I live in Annapolis, MD. If a capital city dint have 3g I'd be writing to my congressman. Haha.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    quoted for truth
    apparently you missed all the apple/china drama over the iphone...

If my iPhone only supports 3g, thats just that many more components I don't have to have in the phone. cheaper overall production costs, cheaper for me. That is assuming they aren't going to raise the price.

adp
    Thanks

so does this mean we'll have to worry about eBay re-sellers trying to make us believe they are selling us the new "fast iPhone" when in reality they are giving us the China version? How would they differentiate and how would a noob user be able to tell? I was already bothered enough by the Ciphone!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by designgears View Post
    apparently you missed all the apple/china drama over the iphone...

If my iPhone only supports 3g, thats just that many more components I don't have to have in the phone. cheaper overall production costs, cheaper for me. That is assuming they aren't going to raise the price.
    Apple/China drama?

What extra components? I am not certain but I believe it is just an enhanced antennae that is needed to receive HSDPA which should not cost much, if any, more than a 3G antennae. I would have thought the costs of producing two different devices would exceed any savings. Do you know differnt?

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    so does this mean we'll have to worry about eBay re-sellers trying to make us believe they are selling us the new "fast iPhone" when in reality they are giving us the China version? How would they differentiate and how would a noob user be able to tell? I was already bothered enough by the Ciphone!
    The Chinese version runs on their own unique technology and will work nowhere else in the world.
    Last edited by confucious; 05-28-2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Default you know what would be nicer then having a fast and faster model?
    the ability to drive from point a to point b while I am listening to internet radio, and not jumping between Edge and 3G...

What would be even nicer would be when i pull out my 3G iphone, and go to do something like watch a YouTube Video or try to show someone something while I wait for my food, and not have to wait for the phone to connect to the 3G network cause it's stuck on the Edge Network.

What would be even nicer still, would be not having my phone jump back and forth between the Edge Network and 3G network while I am taking a break in my own bathroom, while the rest of my house easily and without fail get's 3G.

I think what I am trying to say is that they can "boost" their iPhone speeds all they want. Buy who really cares if I have an modem that can theoretically do 10 meg download speeds when i only have a service that can only do 2?
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to boe_dye For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (06-03-2009)