+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Magnetometer Supplier Found in 3.0 Firmware

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to an AppleInsider report some folks have dug up information in the iPhone 3.0 beta firmware indicating that Japan's Asahi Kasei will provide the magnetometer hardware for the next
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default Magnetometer Supplier Found in 3.0 Firmware

According to an AppleInsider report some folks have dug up information in the iPhone 3.0 beta firmware indicating that Japan's Asahi Kasei will provide the magnetometer hardware for the next generation iPhone due to be announced in June (?) and on sale July 17th (?).

A directory labeled "compass" was found within the iPhone 3.0 firmware file. Within these files there is some information identifying specific details for the magnetometer. "The files identify Asahi Kasei's azimuth sensor No. AK8973, a 16-pin leadless IC package measuring 4mm square and 0.7mm thick, as the chip that will help future iPhone users determine their direction. It bundles a master clock oscillator."

A magnetometer, more widely knows as a compass, will allow the iPhone to know what direction it is pointing in addition to it's current abilities to detect tilt via the accelerometer and direction via the GPS.

There are plenty of uses for the a magnetometer in the iPhone. One of the more interesting theories is that this magnetometer will be utilized by Apple to creatively tell you information about your surroundings via iPhone. If true one will be able to simply take a picture of a building and the iPhone will pull up all information about it using a combination of magnetometer and GPS data and sources like Wikipedia. A more standard uses would be providing turn by turn direction software with better data -- the current GPS takes a few seconds to realize you've turned.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

PotatoHead (05-22-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I can't wait to be able to take a true direction w/o the aid of moving via satelites with this new addition.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

come on new iphone!!!!
    I wantz u sooo badz!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    come on new iphone!!!!
    I wantz u sooo badz!
    x2

Thanks

This will be a great addition for Geocachers.