Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Crippled SlingPlayer To Kill Competition?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Angry AT&T Crippled SlingPlayer To Kill Competition?

We already know that AT&T prevented Apple from approving SlingPlayer before and was the main culprit in restricting it to Wi-Fi ONLY. Their recent statement proclaims the restrictions to be a modest way to prevent the network from collapsing. Well, most people trust them because of obvious reasons, but it seems to be the incomplete truth!

As per a tipster, AT&T's been working on it's OWN application named "i-verse" that performs similar task as SlingPlayer.

This app works with their U-verse TV solution (like slingbox) and loads the "DVRed" shows onto your iPhone at home or stream them over internet on 3G network! The app has already been demoed privately last year and since then, AT&T's into developing it.

Currently SlingPlayer is the #9 app on the US AppStore even though it is Wi-Fi only, imagine what wonders would a 3G version do! Of course there are alternatives for people with a jailbroken iPhone but what about those unwilling to do it? If true, this is a cheap move by AT&T which is abusing its power and should be restricted. Hope Apple hears us next time, instead of AT&T..

[Gizmodo]

Thanks

wow thats messed up

Thanks

That is crazy but sounds just like a bunch of corporate ***** holes taking advantage of there power.
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something. -- Jackie Mason

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

AT&T at its finest

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

Lil_Desai (05-15-2009)

Man, I *SO* called this when I said that they could be preparing a form of mobile U-verse IPTV and SlingPlayer would basically allow competing cable services on the phone. No, I wasn't part of the private demo.

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    ...I smell some kind of "AT&T U-Verse Mobile" app in the future. That's a great way to sell your TV service to those that don't live in wired U-Verse areas. From their perspective, it's also a great reason to pull every string they can to block or delay SlingPlayer. ...
    Last edited by CZroe; 05-15-2009 at 12:42 AM.

this seems like something apple would do att must be taking private lessons from apple for some conspiracy lol

Thanks

Why is the app crippled worldwide? Not every iphone carrier is looking to provide some sort of tv subscription surely?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    Why is the app crippled worldwide? Not every iphone carrier is looking to provide some sort of tv subscription surely?
    maybe just to prove the statement they gave...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    Why is the app crippled worldwide?...
    Black(or grey)-market

Thanks

So because AT&T have plans for their own TV service this app gets crippled worldwide? So i cannot stream legitimately over 3G in Australia because in the USA AT&T are planning on their own TV service....?

It has got to be more to do with the lousy 3G networks than AT&T. I dont believe AT&T could affect this app worldwide?...

If Apple has bowed to AT&T and crippled the app worldwide then shame on Apple, but that would be very out of character for them. They like to do the controlling - not get controlled.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Att sucks they won't let me get an iphone bastards here in Brasil it's 2000 bucks plus contract! WTF APPLE LET ME BUY MY IPHONE AND LET US JAILBREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Apple couldn't very well allow the app to run over 3g for all countries but the US. Then we would know for sure that AT&T is just bullying the consumer to use their app.
    Now if this is true how is it any different than Intel's alleged anti-competitive practice costing them 1.45 billion.
    They are investigating Google & Apple maybe they need to check into AT&T as well. Find them guilty & force them to put LTE coverage everywhere they have coverage now.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

I'd actually be ok with this since I don't own a slingplayer, but I do have U-Verse TV. :P

Thanks
    Every one boycott the iverse app upon release

DUH! I've said it since the beginning. That overload network **** is bull. Of course the network can handle it.

I was reading the rating replies on the Slingplayer app, and was shocked at how many people bought it w/o reading up on it. People that were shocked it was WiFi only should've read the description before purchasing it, and instead of ******** about it after the fact either jailbreak or learn to do the research on an app prior to buying. I don't feel bad for anyone that fails to read about the product they're buying, or, doesn't look for the solution which is as simple as jailbreaking.

As far as this app being crippled I'm not shocked. It seems time and time again anything related to being awesome for our iphone's gets the shaft. Apple, AT&T, whatever, they're all guilty of keeping the iPhone from reaching its full potential. MMS in 3.0? Finally? Perfect example right there. ugh

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

ehhh the 3g does blow but this is mad gay. apple has finally met its match... at&t>apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

Like ronfin44 said, all you need to do is have a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch and install VoIPover3G or Tricker ThreeG from Cydia and you can use it via 3G or Edge.

Anyone who doesn't jailbreak their iPhone is using a crippled device.

Like ronfin44 said, all you need to do is have a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch and install VoIPover3G or Tricker ThreeG from Cydia and you can use it via 3G or Edge.
    Never tried this ,how does this work ? I have that damn Slingplayer app and it doesnt work once I go out of network . That blows .
    Last edited by Fallguy; 05-15-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: My mistake didnt have the quote

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast