+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Crippled SlingPlayer To Kill Competition?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I love streaming my Sling over 3G, and haven't run into many problems at all. I was at the circus yesterday with my daughter and was watching the Phillies game,
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I love streaming my Sling over 3G, and haven't run into many problems at all. I was at the circus yesterday with my daughter and was watching the Phillies game, and had about 20 people come over and ask me how the hell I was watching LIVE TV inside the Spectrum. I said get a Slingbox, jailbreak your phone, and Google "modmyi.com". It's nice to be in the small majority of people that love to hack and mod their phones and PC's etc. I almost miss my days at xda-dev cooking ROMS for my 8525 and Tilt. Never like to settle for what everyone else has, and it's great when you walk into AT&T and the person behind the counter tells you your phone "can't" do something, then you take it out and show them it can, and they stare like a deer caught in headlights.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    I love streaming my Sling over 3G, and haven't run into many problems at all. I was at the circus yesterday with my daughter and was watching the Phillies game, and had about 20 people come over and ask me how the hell I was watching LIVE TV inside the Spectrum. I said get a Slingbox, jailbreak your phone, and Google "modmyi.com". It's nice to be in the small majority of people that love to hack and mod their phones and PC's etc. I almost miss my days at xda-dev cooking ROMS for my 8525 and Tilt. Never like to settle for what everyone else has, and it's great when you walk into AT&T and the person behind the counter tells you your phone "can't" do something, then you take it out and show them it can, and they stare like a deer caught in headlights.
    SO this is what I would like for my slingplayer to do . However , I am having a problem getting it to work once i go off my WIFI NETWORK ! There , does everyone understand now ? I dont know how I can say it any better than that . I am about ready to try another reinstall .
    Are there any special settings that need to be done on the iphone or on the router to get it to work properly ? Anything need to be done like configure the VPN on the iphone ? ANy help would be greatly appreciated .
    Also Tricker 3G doesnt help me in this situation . Thought it would clear up the wifi problem but it didnt.

Thanks

Tricker3G should fix it - if it doesn't something is wrong!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    SO this is what I would like for my slingplayer to do . However , I am having a problem getting it to work once i go off my WIFI NETWORK ! There , does everyone understand now ? I dont know how I can say it any better than that . I am about ready to try another reinstall .
    Are there any special settings that need to be done on the iphone or on the router to get it to work properly ? Anything need to be done like configure the VPN on the iphone ? ANy help would be greatly appreciated .
    Also Tricker 3G doesnt help me in this situation . Thought it would clear up the wifi problem but it didnt.
    There are no special settings. Just install Tricker 3G and initiate the Slingplayer app when you're away from a wifi signal and it works. If it doesn't, then something's wrong on your end, and the possibility that the 3G coverage in your are just sucks could also be why it's not working. When you say it "doesn't work", does it even start on 3G and show any picture? If it doesn't I have no idea what could be wrong, but if it does start and you're constantly getting the buffering message then it's a weak signal. I was inside the Spectrum and for most of the time had a crisp solid video signal, but occasionally it did pixelate and buffer, but so far my experiences here with it over 3G have been awesome. I hope you get yours working soon. -fin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    There are no special settings. Just install Tricker 3G and initiate the Slingplayer app when you're away from a wifi signal and it works. If it doesn't, then something's wrong on your end, and the possibility that the 3G coverage in your are just sucks could also be why it's not working. When you say it "doesn't work", does it even start on 3G and show any picture? If it doesn't I have no idea what could be wrong, but if it does start and you're constantly getting the buffering message then it's a weak signal. I was inside the Spectrum and for most of the time had a crisp solid video signal, but occasionally it did pixelate and buffer, but so far my experiences here with it over 3G have been awesome. I hope you get yours working soon. -fin
    I know this probably isnt the thread to ask this question , but the problem I am having is that my iphone ( and my iphone only , not my laptop ) gives me a error saying I am not hooked up to the internet on either end . However my laptop works fine in these areas (at work ) I have 3mb up 750 kbs down on both ends which should be fine .
    So my real question didnt have much to do with the Tricker 3g program from Cydia at all . I was just hoping I could get my SLingplayer to work through the 3G network since IT ISNT WORKING ON WIFI !!!!

Thanks

Does it pass the remote viewing test when you run the slingplayer setup assistant?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Well Never mind . Just found out why it will not Remote View . The tech at Sling said the software DOES NOT SUPPORT JAILBROKEN IPHONES!.
    In other words, it works at home but not on the road .
    What a waste . Wish there was a hack for that .

Thanks

Methinks that's bollox.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Fallguy -

That's not true. Remote View works fine on my jailbroken 2.2.1 2G phone, both on WIFI, and Edge (though a bit slow on the latter. It also works fine over WiFi on my jailbroken 3G running 3.0 beta 5. Haven't gotten it to work over 3G yet on 3.0, but that's because the 3.0 jailbreak is a still a bit incomplete.

More than likely, if you have a problem with Remote View, it's because your router needs the proper port forwarded.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    Fallguy -

That's not true. Remote View works fine on my jailbroken 2.2.1 2G phone, both on WIFI, and Edge (though a bit slow on the latter. It also works fine over WiFi on my jailbroken 3G running 3.0 beta 5. Haven't gotten it to work over 3G yet on 3.0, but that's because the 3.0 jailbreak is a still a bit incomplete.

More than likely, if you have a problem with Remote View, it's because your router needs the proper port forwarded.
    But if thats true , why does my laptop connect with no problem outside my wifi area ?

Thanks

Fallguy - that is about as true as the statement that the slimgplayer also does not support the older slingboxes. Which is also not true.

It works - Sling just dont offer 'support' for them i guess.

I stream 2 slingboxes through the same router remotely over wifi with no issue at all, so there must be a problem on your end somewhere

Sorry, stream on my iPhone over 3G aswell.
    Last edited by reeko; 05-20-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Originally I had the tech at Slingplayer setup my router remotely . Do you think they could have screwed up something to keep me from using the iphone ? May be changed the port settings ? I am just a novice at port settings and networking but trying to learn when I get a chance .

Thanks

If you run the setup assistant, at the end it will ask you if you want to remote view + then check your router settings to see if it can map the port + ip etc itself.

If this passes then its all good and you can remote view. If it doesn't, it will tell you and tell you exactly what you need to do to be able to remote view.

Can you run the setup assistant and run this test just to see what it comes up with?

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

I am able to remote view on my laptop without any problem . Are you saying that I need to do this for every device I want to remote view on ? Please make sure you understand that it is working on my laptop but not iphone .

Thanks

When will people realize that "is not supported" is not the same as saying "does not work?"

Yes, it can apply to things that don't work, but they are saying that they don't know what hacks and background processes you are using and how they affect their program. For example, let's say that they never intended to support 3G streaming and you used a jailbroken iPhone with one of the 3G WiFi enabling apps. If the stream was too bandwidth intensive to work over 3G, you can't call them up and tie up their resources with your "unsupported" setup. Of course, in this case, it was intended for 3G (doesn't mean that the 3G stream would've been the same... just like 3G YouTube vs. WiFi Youtube).

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123