+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SlingPlayer Coming to AppStore, As Soon As Tonight?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
One of the most anticipated app for the iPhone is SlingMedia's SlingPlayer , rumored to be rejected by Apple due to issues with AT&T, seems to be finally making its
    Thanks

Thumbs up SlingPlayer Coming to AppStore, As Soon As Tonight?

One of the most anticipated app for the iPhone is SlingMedia's SlingPlayer, rumored to be rejected by Apple due to issues with AT&T, seems to be finally making its way to the store in as little as 24 hours!

Multiple trusted sources have reported that Apple will be getting this app online today itself! AppleInsider also called a SlingMedia spokesperson to confirm. The twist is... Apple has limited the app to the iPhone 3G's Wi-Fi capabilities ONLY, which means NO 3G!

That sounds like a crazy decision and AT&T might be the one responsible for it. Maybe they don't want their developing 3G network to be hit by thousands of people streaming videos... yet the other details of the app seems to be quite positive.

The app will support not only the current models (SlingBox PRO, SOLO, and PRO-HD) but the older ones as well, including Classic, AV and tuner. This will be a delight for the late upgraders! Many might not be happy with the speculated pricetag though - $29.99. It's bound to be a great app - if the rumors are true - and we hope it doesn't have any first release flaws like many.

[Engadget]

UPDATE: It's real! Now available on the store. Get it here.

Thanks to tsatryan for a small guide to make it work over 3G!

Here is a detailed step by step process on how to do it -

* First, obviously, download and install SlingPlayer, and make sure that everything is working fine with it while you are on your wifi network.

* Then, open Cydia, and download and install the free program VoIPover3g.

* SSH into your iPhone, and navigate to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries.

* Copy/move the file VoIPover3G.plist to your desktop so you can open and edit it.

* In your copied plist, add this listing - com.slingmedia.SlingPlayer . Be sure you add it so that it is done in the exact same way as the other entries already there. Then save and close the plist file.

* Back in your iPhone, rename the original VoIPover3G.plist to some other name so you still have a copy of it. I named mine VoIPover3G.plist.original

* Move your edited copy of the plist file back onto your iPhone into the same directory. Then, reboot your iphone.

When you are done, your SlingPlayer will work on 3G as well as it does on wifi.
    Last edited by sayam; 05-12-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks

D4mn, I would have been pretty happy if it wasn't for the price.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Woooo, finally! Maybe my evenings at work wont be as slow and painful lol

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

$29.99 pffft lol. Hmmmmm wonder where I wil be able to get it for free not long after it's released......lol

Anyway, it won't be any use for me as I'm in England.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Will Cydia VoIPover3G enable Sling 3G support for sure?

iPhone? More like MyPhone elsgk2's Avatar
    Thanks

Wifi only? I guess I can live with that.
    But 3G/wifi? (I don't know about that)

I'll be cleaning the dust off tonight.
    *T*Mo**

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i really like my slingbox but this app over wifi only is almost useless. if you have wifi you would more than likely be using your laptop to watch whatever you want and not have to spend the extra $30 on the app. I believe $30 or maybe even $40 is a fair price if 3g/edge viewing was available but with this being wifi only I dont know if I will be purchasing. I really like my iphone but the limitations are slowly pushing me back towards my windows mobile phone where apps are not crippled.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bwaines View Post
    i really like my slingbox but this app over wifi only is almost useless. if you have wifi you would more than likely be using your laptop to watch whatever you want and not have to spend the extra $30 on the app. I believe $30 or maybe even $40 is a fair price if 3g/edge viewing was available but with this being wifi only I dont know if I will be purchasing. I really like my iphone but the limitations are slowly pushing me back towards my windows mobile phone where apps are not crippled.
    i guess that with the release of windows mobile appstore, they will eventually become crippled...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i agree, it's almost pointless to spend an extra 30 dollars on this when you could just whip out your laptop and connect to wireless and watch it with a better experience. The whole point of putting it on a phone is at times when you are not able to watch it on a laptop or at home...

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Sling Community has confirmed the rumor, as well as the price and information as being accurate - http://tr.im/latX

Although I would prefer the app to be 3G ready, I will still get it for wifi. I can use it on wifi in places that I don't necessarily have my MacBookPro with me. Plus - I am thinking that it won't be too long until someone figures out a hack to make the app work on 3G.

Thanks

Default Other option
    I have been using ORB since the first generation iphone release and I love it. I can watch tv live and access my media on the home pc while I am at work all from my iphone. I paid only $10 for it from the appstore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bwaines View Post
    i agree 100% with this comment..with its price tag and app only working on wifi might as well use sling on my laptop

Thanks

are you kidding? wifi only? might as well just watch the tv.

Thanks

If this works using VoIP over 3G I will have to go back to Jailbroken 2.2.1. I really am enjoying 3.0 Beta. I hope someone can find a fix so it can work on 3.0 over 3G.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Ok...could someone please help me to understand how it is different or better than OrbLive? Thanks.

Thanks

LOL must suck to be an AT&T user. Paying out the *** for 3G and getting bent over like this.

Thanks

Somebody let me know if VOIPover3g will work for Sling when it comes out. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tamakin View Post
    Somebody let me know if VOIPover3g will work for Sling when it comes out. Thanks
    I am resoring back to 2.2.1 right now. Just getting ready. Will post if it works as soon as I test it out.
    Last edited by mombopete; 05-12-2009 at 04:12 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mombopete For This Useful Post:

tamakin (05-12-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mombopete View Post
    I am resoring back to 2.2.1 right now. Just getting ready. Will post if it works as soon as I test it out.
    Cool thanks!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    $29.99 pffft lol. Hmmmmm wonder where I wil be able to get it for free not long after it's released......lol
    /\ /\ /\ this guy's a thief /\ /\ /\

Quote Originally Posted by tamakin View Post
    Exactly.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast