+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SlingPlayer Coming to AppStore, As Soon As Tonight?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I run mine with Time Warner but I dont have a DVR box...this will probably only work with DISH DVR...tho I never tried when I had a TW DVR
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I run mine with Time Warner but I dont have a DVR box...this will probably only work with DISH DVR...tho I never tried when I had a TW DVR

Green Apple
    Thanks

So - quick question: does this require the actual slingbox as well?

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Detailed instructions to make SlingPlayer work on 3G
    I have just downloaded the new SlingPlayer for iPhone, and it is running perfectly. And - I also have it working exceptionally on 3G. Even as I write this post, I am watching an HD program, streaming quite well, with wifi completely turned off on my iPhone. Just to make sure that there was no glitch, I walked outside and a few blocks away, and was still streaming successfully on nothing more than a 3G connection.

Here is a detailed step by step process on how to do it -
    • First, obviously, download and install SlingPlayer, and make sure that everything is working fine with it while you are on your wifi network.
    • Then, open Cydia, and download and install the free program VoIPover3g.
    • SSH into your iPhone, and navigate to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries.
    • Copy/move the file VoIPover3G.plist to your desktop so you can open and edit it.
    • In your copied plist, add this listing - com.slingmedia.SlingPlayer . Be sure you add it so that it is done in the exact same way as the other entries already there. Then save and close the plist file.
    • Back in your iPhone, rename the original VoIPover3G.plist to some other name so you still have a copy of it. I named mine VoIPover3G.plist.original
    • Move your edited copy of the plist file back onto your iPhone into the same directory. Then, reboot your iphone.

When you are done, your SlingPlayer will work on 3G as well as it does on wifi.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tsatryan For This Useful Post:

battlecrushr (11-04-2009), brotherson32 (05-13-2009), daniel.steel (05-13-2009), kingmofo (05-12-2009), MetallicaFan1991 (05-13-2009), modmyiguy (05-13-2009), s2kpdx (05-12-2009), sayam (05-12-2009), slathrop06 (05-13-2009), thedanks (05-13-2009), Truckerbear (05-12-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tower72 View Post
    so how are you using your app then?
    Isnt this only for DVR shows? (shows that have been recorded)
    Because my time warner box records the shows as well all in one. So would I be able to connect my app to this?
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

Green Apple
    Thanks

i just got it and i can verify that yes it DOES WORK with the older slingbox av. after signing into my account and attempting to connect it said my model slingbox was not suppoerted but may still stream and 2 seconds later im in slingbox heaven. overall feel of the app and controls are fresh. using the app is simple just as it should be ive already watched some of my dvr recordings without issue.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Here is an edited copy of VoIPover3G.plist that you can use, if you don't want to edit one yourself. This will allow SlingPlayer to work on 3G. Just replace the one in /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries with this one. (Don't forget to upzip this file, and use the plist inside the zipped file)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tsatryan; 05-13-2009 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks

Cant get it to work on 3.0 - anyone had any success?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ForumSnoBorderRK View Post
    so how are you using your app then?
    Isnt this only for DVR shows? (shows that have been recorded)
    Because my time warner box records the shows as well all in one. So would I be able to connect my app to this?
    I have it hooked up to my HD Cable box..This streams what you see on your TV to your phone with only a few second delay..Its like youre watching your TV Live.

It also controls your box...If you change the channel on your slingplayer mobile,it changes the channel on your box as well.So if someone is watching the TV thats got the Sling attached...they are going to be in for a surprise if you are watching and you change the channel :P

Thanks

I was considering buying the SlingBox Pro HD but this announcement has swayed me from the purchase due to the 3G restriction for iPhone 3G users. It can barely be considered mobile TV when you are forced to be in a WIFI zone to access the TV channels. Also I dislike that SlingMedia expects their customers to fork over another $29.99 CAD to get SlingPlayer Mobile for the iPhone 3G after already spending $379.99 CAD for the SlingBox. To entice more customers to buy their products SlingMedia shouldn’t be charging for SlingPlayer Mobile and they should be fare in allowing all SlingPlayer Mobile apps to access 3G, not just Windows Mobile, Blackberry OS, Palm OS and Symbian OS.

SOHO: MacBook Pro, iMac, Maya, Shake, FCS 2, iLife, iWork, Office, Time Capsule, iPhone 3G 16GB

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

I have it hooked up to my HD Cable box..This streams what you see on your TV to your phone with only a few second delay..Its like youre watching your TV Live.

It also controls your box...If you change the channel on your slingplayer mobile,it changes the channel on your box as well.So if someone is watching the TV thats got the Sling attached...they are going to be in for a surprise if you are watching and you change the channel :P
    LOL, so you are confirming that this works with time warner boxes?
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Confirmed sling working on 3g
    Thanks to tsatryan I did as he said and copied his file into my folder using iphonebrowser and the 3G worked exactly how he said it would!!!

tsatryan, thank you very much! this app just go 100 times better!
    Now I'm set and let this long awaited app do what we all wanted.....working on 3G.
    This app is SSSSSSICK!

Thanks again tsatryan.
    Last edited by kingmofo; 05-13-2009 at 12:07 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imagine engine View Post
    I was considering buying the SlingBox Pro HD but this announcement has swayed me from the purchase due to the 3G restriction for iPhone 3G users. It can barely be considered mobile TV when you are forced to be in a WIFI zone to access the TV channels. Also I dislike that SlingMedia expects their customers to fork over another $29.99 CAD to get SlingPlayer Mobile for the iPhone 3G after already spending $379.99 CAD for the SlingBox. To entice more customers to buy their products SlingMedia shouldn’t be charging for SlingPlayer Mobile and they should be fare in allowing all SlingPlayer Mobile apps to access 3G, not just Windows Mobile, Blackberry OS, Palm OS and Symbian OS.
    The $39.99 price was a bit high, But I figured it was something I would use a lot so I decided to buy it. I got my Slingbox for $99 on eBay

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ForumSnoBorderRK View Post
    LOL, so you are confirming that this works with time warner boxes?
    It does work with my Time Warner box...tho the DVR aspect I think is or will be reserved for DISH

Enjoy

Thanks

I tried downloading it from the appstore but it says "Not compatible with this iphone." Why???? I'm on 2.1 firmware, is this the problem?

Is anybody with 2.1 firmware able to download this app?
    Last edited by tamakin; 05-13-2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Orb Live requires a tv tuner and leave computer on to use it. Orb can also stream your music and movie files stored on your pc and you can also access your media from another PC. SlingPlayer doesn't use your computer but requires a SlingBox(multiple models) and an internet connection to work. You can then connect and control your cable setop box, Tivo, satelite box etc. with the ability to use remote control options like up, down, left, right(useful for i.e. "on demand" cable menus).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    Anyway, it won't be any use for me as I'm in England.
    +1

Green Apple
    Thanks

The app requirements say u need FW 2.2.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It does work with my Time Warner box...tho the DVR aspect I think is or will be reserved for DISH

Enjoy
    I can confirm that this work with Time Warner's HD DVR box or regular cable box or Reg DVR box.

I'm currently slinging over 3G and tested with Time Warner

Glenn

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    I have just downloaded the new SlingPlayer for iPhone, and it is running perfectly. And - I also have it working exceptionally on 3G. Even as I write this post, I am watching an HD program, streaming quite well, with wifi completely turned off on my iPhone. Just to make sure that there was no glitch, I walked outside and a few blocks away, and was still streaming successfully on nothing more than a 3G connection.

Here is a detailed step by step process on how to do it -
    • First, obviously, download and install SlingPlayer, and make sure that everything is working fine with it while you are on your wifi network.
    • Then, open Cydia, and download and install the free program VoIPover3g.
    • SSH into your iPhone, and navigate to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries.
    • Copy/move the file VoIPover3G.plist to your desktop so you can open and edit it.
    • In your copied plist, add this listing - com.slingmedia.SlingPlayer . Be sure you add it so that it is done in the exact same way as the other entries already there. Then save and close the plist file.
    • Back in your iPhone, rename the original VoIPover3G.plist to some other name so you still have a copy of it. I named mine VoIPover3G.plist.original
    • Move your edited copy of the plist file back onto your iPhone into the same directory. Then, reboot your iphone.

When you are done, your SlingPlayer will work on 3G as well as it does on wifi.
    Thanks, this worked great for me. I used the zip file a few posts below this to save the time of having to edit anything. Also disk aid via USB is faster than having to SSH if you dont have it setup.
    DiskAid - Transfer Files betwen your Computer and your iPhone or iPod Touch. Disk Mode for your iPhone and iPod Touch.

Thanks

I have it working over 3g with the suggested steps using VOIPover3g program.