Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Kindle for iPhone Leaves Stone Age, Still Behind

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default Kindle for iPhone Leaves Stone Age, Still Behind

So the Kindle is popular these days, what with the larger size coming, and the iPhone app. We've tested it out and used it (not as cool as the Kindle screen, but decent enough for passing an hour or less somewhere - don't try it for long reading), and it works pretty well... except the book browsing/buying function. That sucked.

Before this latest update on Amazon's part, you were actually directed to Amazon.com in your Mobile Safari... and it was the full version of the site, where you would browse through books on your iPhone screen in a nice layout absolutely lame design.

But wait.... they have [kinda] seen the light. Browsing and searching for books is now MUCH easier, thanks to a handy dandy search and optimized version in the app and the site itself. Yah, it still takes you to Mobile Safari to actually BUY the book (which is still all sorts of annoying), but hey - it looks halfway legit now.

Getting warmer, Amazon.

BusinessWire via Engadget

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Gonna test it now. Been looking for something like this.

To me it seems obvious why it's not nearly as good as the Kindle itself. And that's because technically, an iPhone or iPod touch with the same capabilities would be a competitor. So why would they ever want to do that? It would be like one police officer trying to keep two guys contained, and then handing them each a gun. He just screwed himself over. (Bad analogy, but work with me.) I dunno, personally I just feel like if the Kindle capabilities were just as good as the Kindle itself, the Kindle would go extinct, but then again I have never used one so I don't really know what they are like. That still wouldn't matter though to a lot of consumers because they would be sold on the fact that you can have Kindle on a device that also allows you to do millions of other things.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

My favorite app for reading books is "Book Reader" in the productivity section of Cydia.

Its the first thing I install after Jailbreak and probably my most used app.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,276 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    To me it seems obvious why it's not nearly as good as the Kindle itself. And that's because technically, an iPhone or iPod touch with the same capabilities would be a competitor. So why would they ever want to do that? It would be like one police officer trying to keep two guys contained, and then handing them each a gun. He just screwed himself over. (Bad analogy, but work with me.) I dunno, personally I just feel like if the Kindle capabilities were just as good as the Kindle itself, the Kindle would go extinct, but then again I have never used one so I don't really know what they are like. That still wouldn't matter though to a lot of consumers because they would be sold on the fact that you can have Kindle on a device that also allows you to do millions of other things.
    Kindle's screen is designed for nice and pleasant reading without murdering your eyes and giving you headaches which is typical for electronic screens. It's all about the screen dude.

Can anyone find a way to send me this app in the UK please. It is not on the UK site. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Do you have a Kindle?
    If so just log on the the US store and download it. I did, but without a kindle there was no way of getting books on my phone so I deleted it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

alanflowerman (05-13-2009)

Hi Confucious
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I have a Kindle. Sorry to be dim, Do you mean The App store or The Kindle/Amazon Store? I have looked around the Amazon/Kindle store and can't find anything. If you want to get Kindle books I think I can maybe help you with the Kindle registration.
    Cheers
    Alan

I mean the App store, I think I had to register with another email address but it's a free download so wasn't a problem to download.
    Thanks for the offer re Kindle registration but, although I could download free Kindle books to my PC I couldn't find a way of getting them on my iPhone, you need to synch them with your Kindle - so shouldn't be a problem for you.

Good luck!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.