+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Missouri's Journalism School Makes National Headlines!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Get this! Missouri University's new policy! Effective this fall 2009! Missouri's Journalism students majoring in Journalism will be required to have either an iPod Touch or an iPhone! They will
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 564 Posts

Exclamation Missouri's Journalism School Makes National Headlines!
    Get this!

Missouri University's new policy! Effective this fall 2009! Missouri's Journalism students majoring in Journalism will be required to have either an iPod Touch or an iPhone! They will be required to own one of the devices for the delivery of freshman-orientations information and of course material for their course.

I think this is cool myself but many might not agree - a school is going to force one into buying either the iPod Touch or the iPhone. What will be nice about using either device is you would be able to electronically download material from iTunes University, a no-cost component of the AppStore.

What do you think about this new policy? It is a good choice for the University or not? And what would be your reaction if you had to go out and buy one of these for one of your classes?

Missouri Journalism School: Get an Apple iPhone or Go Home.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (05-11-2009), emendonca79 (05-11-2009), florevil (05-11-2009), holmfam (05-14-2009), JackSway3003 (05-12-2009), lightmaster (05-12-2009), PotatoHead (05-11-2009)

Banned
    Thanks
    **EDIT CPJR - Absolutely rehashed!**

Well, at least they can go with an itouch and not be forced into an iphone contract.
    Last edited by designgears; 05-12-2009 at 05:43 PM.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^designgears - Edited your post....took out the crap.

I think its pretty cool course material will be pushed like that. I guess its not to far fetched considering other requirements set force by colleges.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (05-11-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by designgears View Post
    **EDIT CPJR - Absolutely useless**

Well, at least they can go with an itouch and not be forced into an iphone contract.
    Thank you..

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a good idea, and would probably work well, but I think they should help students pay for it, and at least pay fir the contract or something.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey MMI, It's not required.

Here's a quote from the Dean of the School "Brian Brooks":

The reason we put required on it is to help the students on financial need. If it’s required, it can be included in your financial need estimate. If we had not required it, they wouldn’t be able to do that.
    Basically they put it as a course "requirement" so that students could argue the cost for financial aid. While they probably need the device for the class, it was nice of the dean to make it official, that way you can stick it on loans if you don't have the cash.

Source: Missouri journalism students required to buy iPhone or iPod touch? | iPhone | iPhone Central | Macworld

Thanks

I think its cool that they want to use the iPod Touch and iPhone as an education tool! Will this university dictate whether your a PC or Mac? LOL

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

waheedtarin (05-12-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,666 Times in 5,931 Posts

If you think about it, it make total sense. The connectivity anytime, being able to have it "on the fly" so to speak.
    I think it's awesome. Props.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royalnewjersey View Post

Basically they put it as a course "requirement" so that students could argue the cost for financial aid. While they probably need the device for the class, it was nice of the dean to make it official, that way you can stick it on loans if you don't have the cash.

Source: Missouri journalism students required to buy iPhone or iPod touch? | iPhone | iPhone Central | Macworld
    Now that was really nice of the dean for sure! Smart thinking to help the students out financially!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

waheedtarin (05-12-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm a student of computer science at mizzou and seeing as Mizzou is #1 school of journalism, they clearly know what the 'real world' situation is like, AND they already make most of their students use MAC-OS. In light of the new developmental program between the engineering students and the journalism students with their iPhone development class, and seeing as they had two teams that developed apps that are successfully top 20's in the app store it was only a matter of time until they enforced this push.

Not to mention so many people already have iPhones inthe J-school. the only unfortunate thing is, the CS department actually knows how to use their iPhones and journalism students... well they don't.

Also what will mizzou do to students who have jailbroken iphones or ipods? and should it really be the freshmen that need this requirement or just upperclassmen those taking 3xxx+ classes.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

well interesting idea glad it can be used as part of financial aid, i would go with the touch so u have no contract but if ur in the market for a phone already u might as well go ahead and get the phone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well if you did go with the iPod instead of the iPhone its no different then books really. I once paid 185.00 for a Calculous book!! Just becomes part of the supplies... SAIL University in florida now gives all of their students a MacBook Pro at the beginning of their school, just part of the tuition....

iPhone? More like MyPhone jaredb03's Avatar
    Thanks

Another reason among many not to go to MU. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

Thanks

Innovated and awesome, that's what I say! At 199 for the cost of the base iTouch its almost the same price as some books.

Wish this was a requirement for my school!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

colleges all make money from the government.
    guarantee they get a kick back for every iphone, itouch, book, pen, notepad.

its just like prison.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tattoojack For This Useful Post:

waheedtarin (05-12-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

F*ck MU ....

-KU Student.
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk.
    R.I.P - 8GB iPhone - Pwnd - 1.1.4 - T-MobileUSA
    R.I.P 3G- iPhone - All sorts of H4x0r'd
    32gb 3Gs - 3.1.2 Unlocked - AT&T

MacBook (White Uni) - 2.24 - 4GB - 250GB - 10.6.4
    MacBook Pro - 2.0GHz-4GB-320GB - 10.6.1
    MacBook(Aluminum Edish)-2.4GHz-250GB - 10.5.5
    MacBook Air - 1.6 - 80GB -10.5.2 - Lovin' It
    MacBook Pro - 1.83 - 80GB - 10.4.11
    12' PowerBook G4 - 1.5 - 120GB - 10.4.11

Been Cockin' Rockin' and iPhone Unlockin' since v1.0.2.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I think a lot of freshman will be telling their parents to get them an iPhone cuz I know I sure as hell would. If the school offered them at slightly discounted rates that would help too.

Thanks

they make me people buy books, i really don't see why this would be any different or stir up any other bs except for the fact that it's a hot item right now. We have to buy all sorts of bs for engineering that we barely ever use, I wish we used my iPhone more for class because I am on it half the time anyways. Plus who doesn't want an iTouch or iPhone? Except for all the self-righteous stuck up jerkoffs who don't want one just because they hate apple for the sake of hating apple.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone elr0y7's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royalnewjersey View Post

Nice, so it's basically a small fee added to their financing since the classes and books already cost so much, and so many students already have iPhones (I think it was like 80-90%) it's a step in the right direction.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

Green Apple
    Thanks

Duke introduced a similar policy more than four years ago with the video iPod. Now, you don't hear about it.

I'm sure that you will have assignments like "Tweet on the events of a location of your choice your homework tonight."

Yeah...it's more like the students will be playing games instead of doing homework.