+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Rejects BitTorrent Controller for iPhone for Third Party Rights Infringement!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Thumbs down Apple Rejects BitTorrent Controller for iPhone for Third Party Rights Infringement!
    Apple's AppStore approval process has executed another questionable decision in the AppStore.

Maza Digital submitted their latest offering named Drivetrain - a remote control for Transmission, a BitTorrent client - which soon got rejected with yet another questionable reason! The reply from Apple states that “this category of applications is often used for the purpose of infringing third party rights. We have chosen to not publish this type of application to the App Store.”

As per the above statement, it seems that Apple is going to keep its doors closed for all BitTorrent related apps on the AppStore. BitTorrent clients have always been popular on all platforms (including Apple's very own Mac OSX), but Apple isn't ready to allow the whole category of BitTorrent clients or related apps to the store - even though they've been selling on Mac for years now!

Not only do the developers believe this rejection to be "ridiculous" but also claim “a BitTorrent client or the BitTorrent protocol are not illegal (and does not infringe on third party rights),” and notes that Drivetrain itself doesn't even download anything directly but just acts as a controller.

This rejection scenario is getting worse day by day. If we look at some recent incidents like disapproval of an update for Tweetie as it allowed the users to see foul stuff written by others and the most recent one about the NiN app rejection (that got accepted without any changes later on) which allowed users to download a podcast that has foul language.

[iLounge]

KelvinalF
    wow really apple?

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is all great news.... still makes Cydia my go-to application for iPhone programs!!

Thanks

this is wat i dont get about apple they reject apps like this and then they dont expect us to jailbreak
    If apple doesnt want people to jailbreak mabe they should stop rejecting the best apps that come to them

Thanks

I've always wondered if there was a Cydia app that would allow uTorrent WebUI to browse for a .torrent...

Anyone know?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

One more reason to make Jailbreaking 100% legal.
    If they don't want to approve the hard work that went into developing such an app (or other apps which got rejected), then Jailbreaking should be legalized!

Apple can sometimes be worse than Microsoft. Damn! I can't believe I'm actually saying that!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    does anyone else think apple is becoming an app nazi
    sorry if that offends anyone but i realy do think it describes apples plan very well they are trying to get rid of any apps they dont have 100% control of (jailbreaking) or apps they see as difrent or inferior
    i belive apples actions are indeed qeustionable

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

apple doesnt need to explain anything to anyone... you got it... lol
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

Personally I think this is a good choice by apple because they could take on a lot of crap if they had accepted this app. However that being said it is possible to have good torrents that aren't illegal

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

uTorrent already has a webUI (with an iPhone optimized skin!), I can't see why transmission doesn't go that way.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lightmaster's Avatar
    Thanks

Why would Apple reject this one? Its just a controller, not a downloader. Bittorrent programs themselves aren't even illegal and using one doesn't mean you're going to be downloading anything illegal. Blizzard's WoW downloader is a bittorrent program and there is nothing illegal about it.

Looks like we might be getting another great app on Cydia.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
    I've always wondered if there was a Cydia app that would allow uTorrent WebUI to browse for a .torrent...

Anyone know?
    f this s... ---> dtunes

13. The Following User Says Thank You to leram84 For This Useful Post:

daching (05-11-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me lightmaster's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    uTorrent already has a webUI (with an iPhone optimized skin!), I can't see why transmission doesn't go that way.
    Transmission does have a webUI that is designed for the iPhone. It only allows you to see what torrents you're downloading and to pause and resume torrents. You can't actually add any torrents or change their priority.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

Thanks

Default Cydia
    Maybe they'll distribute it on Cydia

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by disturbedreaper View Post
    does anyone else think apple is becoming an app nazi
    sorry if that offends anyone
    but i realy do think it describes apples plan very well they are trying to get rid of any apps they dont have 100% control of (jailbreaking) or apps they see as difrent or inferior
    i belive apples actions are indeed qeustionable
    I'm totally offended. My grandfather was a Nazi! J/K (poor taste, I know)

I am no longer surprised at apples rejections. They are the bully in the sandbox or the rich kid in college. They get what they want! With that being said, I'm going to take out my frustration by downloading twice as many illegal torrents to prove a point to apple....I have no idea what that point is or how this would convey anything to apple...but I'm MAAAAAAAD!

!HULK SMASH!
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Green Apple
    Thanks

I cannot believe any of you are surprised this was refused. Only 1% of people who use torrents are doing something legal with them anyways. Apple is a big company and 1 wrong app could cost them millions.

mtj
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

^^ This app is just a controller. I don't see why it's so troubling.

Thanks

They can spend the billions of the apps they already made money on.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if you search the appstore for "torrent" there is already a BitTorrent app. i havn't tried it but its there

Thanks

This is not surprising at all.