+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia being prepared for 3.0, Nothing about Winterboard!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In the old 1.x days, Installer was the most popular among iPhone users until 2.x came out and they lost the competition to Cydia (forever!) due to the delays. The
    Thanks

Thumbs up Cydia being prepared for 3.0, Nothing about Winterboard!

In the old 1.x days, Installer was the most popular among iPhone users until 2.x came out and they lost the competition to Cydia (forever!) due to the delays. The matter got worse when word got around that Installer was just an advertising machine for RipDev but that's another story...

It seems that Saurik is not going to take the chance of loosing to some new app. As per his new Twitter status update, he's almost done with porting Cydia to the new OS 3.0 and is already done with making the QuickPwn Bundle as well, which is not going to be released to the masses soon enough. The only part to be completed is the backward compatibility, which should be done soon as well! Another cool thing is that, in comparison to the Icy update for 3.x, Cydia won't replace/ delete any files like the libgcc thus making it a more secure option.

Status update on 3.x: I finished a Cydia QuickPwn bundle and have been on making the 'Backwards Compatibility' extension fix other packages.
    On the other hand, Winterboard, or I should call it the SummerBoard successor, hasn't had much progress in 3.x. According to Saurik the kernel patches required for Winterboard to work on this new OS aren't yet complete in the unofficial jailbreaks.

My current understanding of Winterboard on 3.x is that the kernel patches are not all finished in the iPhoneApps.ru jailbreak.
    Winterboard already has a huge database of themes and offers a great modding experience for iPhone which was not possible ever before! All those majority of widgets and themes like the iNav being downloaded by thousands on Cydia have been made possible only because of Winterboard and it would be more of a nightmare for people to loose them. All we can hope for right now is that the 3.0 won't make us loose all that theming capability or there is a chance many won't upgrade be interested in upgrading.

[Twitter]

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sayam For This Useful Post:

davebaby (05-10-2009), shoemann (06-09-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure he'll get winterboard working also, hopefully when 3.0 goes live people don't start complaining right out of the box that this and that don't work. But in reality, we know the second it comes out people will be asking why their old apps don't work.

Give the man some time to get it all working peeps!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

http://lilstevie.com/QuickPwn.zip

Custom quickpwn by lilstevie & myself, iphone 3g & cydia for 3.0

Cheers
    MaT

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Is there anyway to ban whoever feels the need to post"first". It's annoying.

What is the use of posting that anyways? Do you feel special for replying first? Do you want a cookie or something?

Anyways, exciting news. I can't wait to see what improvements Cydia has made along with the improvements of 3.0.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iPhoneMadness For This Useful Post:

GADeputy (05-09-2009), lightmaster (05-09-2009), mysteryskater125 (05-09-2009), tattoojack (05-09-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow, nice!
    I hope Saurik could also improve Cydia for 3.0 by including similar features as Icy such as landscape mode and NOT REFRESHING EVERY 5 SECONDS!!!
    Only when needed.

That would be aweshome!

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

You can just drop the cydia bundle where the icy bundle is now in quickpwn...Funny question, has anyone even tried seeing if installer works on 3.0 lol
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneMadness View Post
    Is there anyway to ban whoever feels the need to post"first". It's annoying.

What is the use of posting that anyways? Do you feel special for replying first? Do you want a cookie or something?

Anyways, exciting news. I can't wait to see what improvements Cydia has made along with the improvements of 3.0.
    I think the site should be automated to change the avatar of anyone who posts "First!" to something really goofy looking.

I will not update without Winterboard. The stock iPhone look is pretty sad. I will be waiting patiently

It would be nice if Ripdev could shirk their soiled reputation. I get sick of people dogging them. It gets old.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (05-09-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wgm214 View Post
    You can just drop the cydia bundle where the icy bundle is now in quickpwn...Funny question, has anyone even tried seeing if installer works on 3.0 lol
    Installer = Icy
    Icy = Installer 5.0

Thanks

i agree, 3.0 feels so plain without winterboard, and i miss sbsettings alot also, hopefully there be ready soon intime for the offical release of 3.0 or soon after! i know you can theme 3.0 the old way, but its so nice just haveing to click and resping and poof its done

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I hate Icy ><. It will never amount to Cydia.
    Anyways, WinterBoard better be faster and improved, especially on 3.x as that uses more memory!

"Everybody has common sense, but most just don't use it, then you wonder why?" - Neo-Tech

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Neo-Tech For This Useful Post:

macfr3ak (05-09-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dryice1 View Post
    First
    i could have swore there was a mod who was deleting posts by numb skulls like this.
    oh well

i agree, cydia pwns icy and installer.

lastly,

no winterboard,
    no 3.0 for me.

2.2.1/02.28 FTW!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I personally hate cydia. It reloads like 200 times over 200 reloads -_- I think Icy is alot smoother then Cydia also, I just don't understand why MMi Rides the nuts out of Cydia like its really the best thing out smh "until 2.x came out and they lost the competition to Cydia (forever!)" Talk about groupie.... you sound worse then a lil wayne fanatic defending the **** out of cydia

Thanks

There speaks someone who knows not of what he talks.

I Wouldn't let ICY near my iPhone, RipDev have proved they are after your money and I just don't trust them with low level access to my phone.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really like icy I think it is a lot better then cydia. The think that more and more apps are charging on cydia and would like to see more free good apps. That is why we want the phone unlocked not just to use different providers. That is my 2 cents

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    i could have swore there was a mod who was deleting posts by numb skulls like this.
    oh well

i agree, cydia pwns icy and installer.

lastly,

no winterboard,
    no 3.0 for me.

2.2.1/02.28 FTW!!!
    That pretty much sums it up for me. And I was looking to upgrade my device as well but if Winterboard is not working or is not possible to work with 3.0 (especially on the new devices that are supposed to be released this summer), then no thanks. A lot of the updated features that 3.0 will bring are things that most of us jailbreakers already have now.

And people ask "With 3.0 coming with everything jailbreaking offers now, what will the need be to jailbreak anymore?", well here is one HUGE one for ya!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

Icy offers the same apps as cydia.

Btw winterboard is semi-working on 3.0 from what I've heard. You have to download something winterboard lite...
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

Banned
    Thanks

Yeah, but it doesn't do anything different from what you could already do now, like changing system images and sounds. You can do that without WB.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yeah but WinterBoard is much more safer, it's like the CXMB for the PSP.

"Everybody has common sense, but most just don't use it, then you wonder why?" - Neo-Tech

Thanks

iPhone/iPod Touch 3.0 B5 Firmware Tech Talk Forum Starmen.Net

Open SystemVersion.plist (located in /System/Library/CoreServices) in your choice of text editor (I recommend NotePad++), and remove the following lines completely:

HTML Code:
    <key>ReleaseType</key>
    <string>Beta</string>
    iTunes will no longer reject the device because you're not registered with a developer.

Recommend this to others if you find it useful.
    Last edited by NessLookAlike; 05-17-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: <