Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The First Pyramid Scheme for iPhone is 123Spoof

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default The First Pyramid Scheme for iPhone is 123Spoof

You're familiar with 123Spoof from their April Fools giveaway here at MMi, and from being a way to prank your friends in general. With the 2.1 update (which will hit Cydia today), 123Spoof is now the first pyramid scheme (multi-level marketing) app for the iPhone. It was only a matter of time... oh, and yes, it IS legal.

Here's how it works. You get an account with them, make at least one purchase ($10 is the minimum), and then create coupons straight from their app, which you either forward via email or text message. The coupon gives 10% off to your friends, and adds 10 credits to your own account each time its used. May, June, and July, the guys over at 123Spoof.com will run a report at the end of each month. If your coupon code is used 50 times within any month, you get $100, and if the code is used 100 times, you get a check for $250.

Aw, hell, we'll give it a try (you know, for journalistic testing purposes). Use m6a1y325 to get 20% off your first purchase. We'll take any money that actually comes in and give it to a charity. RedCross could always use some help...

Multi-level marketing is nothing new (remember AmWay? er Quixtar now? uh... PrePaid Legal?), but this is the first one I've seen using the iPhone as its vehicle. I'm sure there'll be a slew of them on their way... I bet if you've ever worked a cell phone kiosk, you've been over-run by those AmWay guys telling you they "see a lot of potential in you" heh.

Of course, you can always use the service for free by checking out http://123spoof.com/free/mobile from your iPhone, without downloading anything.

PV/BV

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Yeah, these things probably work for some people. ie. people that run forums and can take advantage of the mass membership.

Will it work for anyone that buys something with your ID and then tries to recruit others? Will it bollocks.
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Yeah, these things probably work for some people. ie. people that run forums and can take advantage of the mass membership.

Will it work for anyone that buys something with your ID and then tries to recruit others? Will it bollocks.
    Couldnt have said it better myself.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Yah, forgot to mention - we're not keeping any money from it, its going to charity. Just an interesting concept.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,212 Times in 6,215 Posts

Charity? I'm in. I love this app.

Default Lol
    I've used this service before. Oh, the fun to be had when calling with the number (666)-867-5309, and talking like Herbert from Family Guy. It's HILARIOUS! I might do the service again, if you guys are giving to charity.

iPhone? More like MyPhone elsgk2's Avatar
    Thanks

Word of mouth advertising is the way to go these days
    *T*Mo**

Thanks

I'd spoof the number 867-5309 and have caller id say it was Jenny.

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

What phone is that supposed to be in the picture? Semi touch-screen with a solid keyboard? Or just a random mockup?
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Green Apple
    Thanks

journalistic purposes my ***! POETIC FOLLY IS THE CONTACT HOSTER FOR 123SPOOF ON CYDIA. If anyone actually does this, ask for proof the money is donated to charity. Dirty pool MMI.
    When I try to spell Jedi's on my iPhone, it auto-corrects it to Jesus...

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    I'd spoof the number 867-5309 and have caller id say it was Jenny.
    You can't add a name to the number. They only see the NUMBER you chose to spoof them with.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhart77 View Post
    journalistic purposes my ***! POETIC FOLLY IS THE CONTACT HOSTER FOR 123SPOOF ON CYDIA. If anyone actually does this, ask for proof the money is donated to charity. Dirty pool MMI.
    Uh yah I'm the maintainer - and I'm also the maintainer for every one of the over 1000 packages we host. We don't own 123Spoof, we just host it, same as all the apps we host.

And sure, if we actually get any cash, like I said - straight to charity, proof however you'd like. We don't SELL news!

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

lmao, Because poetic_folly would tottaallyyyyyy do that right?
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks for all the post. Firstly, there are plenty of people on this link http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...-inside-7.html that can tell you if we give what we say. Secondly I was surprised when poetic_folley had let us know that he had wanted his monies to go to the Red Cross. If poetic_folley would like to make that check public it will be up to him but I can assure you that this was a gesture that was purely unexpected and totally unnecessary. The world would be a much better place if there was more poetic_folly's and less.... Well I'd like to keep it positive. If anybody has doubts I would say.. just ask around. As ModMyi is our repository for all of our updates it is only natural that when we have news, we submit it to them for their opinion. Thank you, 123Spoof.com

this isnt a pyramid scheme, there is a big difference between multi-level marketing and a pyramis scheme. Thats like comparing investing to a ponzi scheme. In a pyramid scheme you only invest money (give 7 people on a list $100 and get like 7 other people to do it and so on). This is just if you invite people they get 10% off and you get some points.

Thanks

But as PF said it is an interesting new concept for the iPhone. Be good to see how this goes.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

i was wondering does 123spoof work here in the uk?, but nice! charity or no charity i think its funnily worth it

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I love this app. But it can get you in trouble if you don't control yourself.

Thanks

Funny how schemes like this are re-invented every so often, and a whole bunch of people don't see it. Give something a new name and the drones are all over it like a bad rash.
    To live, you have to lie

That's odd 123spoof.com seems to not even be around, looks like they got sued for trademark infringement and now their domain forwards to spoofcard which has been around forever. They have apps to, but at least no MLM scams