Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NIN's Trent Reznor Scathes App Store Rejection. Objectionable Content OK for 3.0?

Threaded View

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Default NIN's Trent Reznor Scathes App Store Rejection. Objectionable Content OK for 3.0?

Sunday NIN's Trent Reznor responded on the NIN forums to Apple's rejection of an update to the NIN: Access app (itunes link, free). The update was rejected because of profane language in "The Downward Spiral." Reznor is angry with Apple's shaky (on a good day) rejection/approval process and has threatened to put his app on jailbroken devices
    Now, “The Downward Spiral” the album is not available anywhere in the iPhone app. The song “The Downward Spiral” I believe is in a podcast that can be streamed to the app.
    Thanks Apple for the clear description of the problem - as in, what do you want us to change to get past your stupid f u c king standards?
    And while we’re at it, I’ll voice the same issue I had with Wal-Mart years ago, which is a matter of consistency and hypocrisy. Wal-Mart went on a rampage years ago insisting all music they carry be censored of all profanity and “clean” versions be made for them to carry. Bands (including Nirvana) tripped over themselves editing out words, changing album art, etc to meet Wal-Mart’s standards of decency - because Wal-Mart sells a lot of records. NIN refused, and you’ll notice a pretty empty NIN section at any Wal-Mart. My reasoning was this: I can understand if you want the moral posturing of not having any “indecent” material for sale - but you could literally turn around 180 degrees from where the NIN record would be and purchase the film “Scarface” completely uncensored, or buy a copy of Grand Theft Auto where you can be rewarded for beating up prostitutes. How does that make sense?
    You can buy The Downward F u c king Spiral on iTunes, but you can’t allow an iPhone app that may have a song with a bad word somewhere in it. Geez, what if someone in the forum in our app says f u c k or c u n t? I suppose that also falls into indecent material. Hey Apple, I just got some SPAM about f u c king hot asian teens through your mail program. I just saw two guys having explicit anal sex right there in Safari! On my iPhone! Come on Apple, think your policies through and for f u c k’s sake get your app approval scenario together.
    Reznor later went further saying that
    Everyone - let me be clear. I love Apple products and as goofy and out-of-touch as their app approval process / policy is, I will still use them because they work 1000X better than the competition. This is not a debate, it's a fact. The iPhone is THE most elegant, modern smartphone at this point in time and it's perfect for what we want to do with the NIN app - except for the ludicrous approval process, and that's what I want to draw attention to.

Android is cool, but nobody has an Android phone. Blackberry is OK but the hardware is inconsistent and WinMo straight-up sucks balls. If Apple doesn’t get it together, we will most certainly make it available to the jailbreak community. I didn’t invest in this app to see it languish on the sidelines from an idiotic policy while this tour is in full swing.
    Hey Trent, if you decided to publish to the jailbreak community we'd be happy to host your app.

Maybe Apple will allow "objectional content" applications when 3.0 goes public. The application Newspaper(s) (itunes link, $1) was recently rejected because The Sun, one of the 50 newspapers that are readable through the application, has some nudity on page 3. A user could easily browse to this material through Safari on the iPhone - should Apple reject Safari too?

In the rejection letter form Apple to the company behind Newspaper(s) Apple said that Parental Controls have been announced for iPhone firmware 3.0 and that it “would be appropriate to resubmit your application for review once this feature is available.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

AngryLemming (05-07-2009)