+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NIN's Trent Reznor Scathes App Store Rejection. Objectionable Content OK for 3.0?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
a pioneer in the music industry for defining what industrial was (yes skinny puppy and gary neuman were first, but trent showed them how to do it right) then understanding
    Thanks

Default i heart trent
    a pioneer in the music industry for defining what industrial was (yes skinny puppy and gary neuman were first, but trent showed them how to do it right) then understanding that it's okay and good for people to download mp3's over bittorrent, and then telling people that he's not going to support a hypocritical system or censorship.

just another reason why my wife and I got pre-sale PIT tickets when he and Janes Addiction come to Pittsburgh!

Huzzah!
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    a pioneer in the music industry for defining what industrial was (yes skinny puppy and gary neuman were first, but trent showed them how to do it right) then understanding that it's okay and good for people to download mp3's over bittorrent, and then telling people that he's not going to support a hypocritical system or censorship.

just another reason why my wife and I got pre-sale PIT tickets when he and Janes Addiction come to Pittsburgh!

Huzzah!
    Not to mention that trent has given 2 or 3 of his new albums up for free download from his site! He is already rich, but greedy...nope.
    He has a super cool relationship with his fanbase! And his love for technology, sound and music & games makes me love him all the more! Im not sure if people know this, but he did the soundtrack for the original Quake game! Its funny cause the ammo for the nailgun had a NIN logo on it! LOL

I'll see you in VEGAS Trent!

I hear he is engaged... thats crazy. Never have I seen him in pictures or magazines with a woman... I almost thought that he was practicing abstinence. LOL

Thanks

^ I always thought the same thing until recently. Mariqueen Maandig is the woman I believe.

Not only the free albums, but he put 400 gigs from the LITS tour (Victoria, CA; Sacramento and Las Vegas) up on bittorent for the fans to compile into whatever they wanted.

And I'll see ya Trent in ABQ!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jailwut wunnow View Post
    ^ I always thought the same thing until recently. Mariqueen Maandig is the woman I believe.

Not only the free albums, but he put 400 gigs from the LITS tour (Victoria, CA; Sacramento and Las Vegas) up on bittorent for the fans to compile into whatever they wanted.

And I'll see ya Trent in ABQ!
    not sure if you saw it but he threw a secret mini concert for fans to promote the YEAR ZERO Album.. it was so frackin awesome. Not sure how many of you knew that trent would leave clues at his concerts prior to the YEAR ZERO release... he would hide memory sticks in the bathroom to be found.. we would place GPS locations on his site, when you go to those locations you would find memory sticks or other things to be found such as CD's with hidden tracks and remixes... some people got messages that led them to locations where upon arriving they found a box with a cell phone... the message said to keep the phone on at all times. One night they received a phone call and told them to go to a certain location. They went there, and were met by a crazy conspiracy theory kinda squad... taken into a basement of an abandoned warehouse and then given this huge speech on how the government cant be trusted and such.. then out of nowhere a curtain pull and there is Trent Reznor and his band playing brand new tracks from the Year Zero album.. which was not in stores at the time. It was crazy sick! Then after about 4 songs a swat team crashes through the doors in a fake raid and everyone runs for their lives and NIN disappears! It was amazing that an artist would go through all that trouble to surprise a bunch of fans by providing a free concert!

If anyone is interested in reading about it and actually seeing video footage of the whole thing, here is a link.
    Word Soup: NIN Performs Secret Concert For Year Zero Fans
    And BTW I'll be at the ABQ show too!!
    Last edited by reznor9; 05-06-2009 at 12:22 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

NIN Rocks. Macs rock. PC Rocks. If there's more pointless debate after this post I'll just delete it. This thread is about NIN and Apple's silly approval process.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

AngryLemming (05-07-2009)

Thanks

I loved Trent and his music before this, but now I havemuch much more respect for the man. He has always stood by what he believes and I love that. TRENT PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH KYLE AND CODY AND GET YOUR APP ON OUR PHONES!! PLEASE!!

When asked what he would say to the columbine killers, Marilyn Manson said, "I would say nothing to them. I would listen to what they have to say, because that's what nobody else did" from the movie Farenheit 9/11

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    NIN Rocks. Macs rock. PC Rocks. If there's more pointless debate after this post I'll just delete it. This thread is about NIN and Apple's silly approval process.
    Hey guys, remember the time the mod said to stop talking about mac vs pc vs a rock? And how he said he'd delete posts derailing this thread? Remember? Here I even quoted myself. Now explain why I HAD TO DELETE 14 REPLIES AFTER MY POST THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD?

And for a bonus, I'm going to give an infraction for every single post I just deleted. Not only to the troll, but those that took the bait.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

AngryLemming (05-07-2009), MetallicaFan1991 (05-07-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL ... you guys crack me up.
    I'll put 100 bucks on the table = some of the fan boys would think Bill & Steve are God.

Thanks

i'll put 100 bucks on the table that says most of them are just atheists like the rest of us, but really like bill and steve.. well, maybe not bill i'm a bit of a windows fanboy and i still don't like bill.

Thanks

Unironically CrooKid, that post also has nothing to do with this topic!
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 05-07-2009 at 09:28 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

AngryLemming (05-07-2009), MetallicaFan1991 (05-07-2009)

Thanks

Even if she didn't get too much into NIN before, this post from Trent has made my wife a fan.
    While there is a certain level of strangeness to the "Think Different" guys rejecting people's apps (obviously, "thinking differently") there may be good reason. I was chewing on the idea, from the perspective of my recent MBA work, and it occurs to me there are two probable reasons:
    1) Apple may be held liable for distributing content it makes available on iTunes, both legally (not a big problem, I imagine) but also in the public perception of the company. While many among the generation Y crowd (and some of us gen Xers) are forward thinking, in sociological terms, their predecessors are the guarantors and investors. The gap between the sociological focus and perspective between gen X and gen Y is just as drastic as the difference between gen X and their forerunners. If the previous generations perceive a malignant or antisocial side to Apple, via what they "approve" (even if they removed all approval req's and did not technically "approve" anything any more) by making it available on iTunes, they could pull investments and a lot of monetary support. Such an action might cripple the company, especially when the economy is slow and incremental sales are the strongest - not big items (like new computer system solutions.)
    2) Music and film are venues of art. Software is certainly as artful, but is still engaged legally and socially as "mere" technology. Technology, is of course from techne, which has the concept of art (as made by a craftsman) contained within it - but that is not the case in English, nor in the general engagement with technology. This may change in time, as it did for architecture, but it requires patience. In the meantime, even the most forward-thinking people cannot protect software from attacks which free-speech and art have protection from built into the current understanding of the cultural milieu. As such, Apple can't give the same freedom of expression, and trust it to hold up in court, to software it distributes as it can to what society at large understands as "art" at this point in history.
    I love Trent's spirit in this, but I think he is viewing things from a far more metropolitan-cum-progressive perspective than Apple can trust to the current legal and social mores. Certainly, this seemed to me to jibe better with what Steve Jobs did in his open letter regarding DRM and music/movies. What do you think?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AngryLemming For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (05-07-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

awesome. just awesome.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Hey guys, remember the time the mod said to stop talking about mac vs pc vs a rock? And how he said he'd delete posts derailing this thread? Remember? Here I even quoted myself. Now explain why I HAD TO DELETE 14 REPLIES AFTER MY POST THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD?

And for a bonus, I'm going to give an infraction for every single post I just deleted. Not only to the troll, but those that took the bait.
    Lol, your funny!!
    Chances of this post getting deleted are probably high but w/e.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MetallicaFan1991 For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (05-07-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndianCheese View Post
    I think that would be great publicity for the jailbreaking scene if Trent Reznor decided to move his application to Cydia. Not only would hardcore NIN fans be compelled even more to jailbreak their iPhones, but people would begin to wonder what happened to the App Store app. A quick Google and they are introduced to the world of jailbreaking.
    if you look at what angry ferret says above about legalities, i think trent will cater to apple's requests before he will go the cydia route.

its probably going to be VERY hard to get anyone THAT mainstream and in public view to show approval for jailbreak, at least not until they decide wether its illegal or not.

besides, everything he uses is apple and he doesn't pay for any of it.
    alot of artists who openly admit to using strictly apple products in their music production get all of the new apple products for free to test BEFORE they hit the shelves.
    i don't think he would wanna piss them off.

happynoodleboy:
    sorry bout the off topics.
    this better?

when did you become a mod?
    congrats!
    Last edited by tattoojack; 05-07-2009 at 06:39 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

iphonesavior.com says this

After Nine Inch Nails front man Trent Reznor, threw a ridiculously public rock star hissy fit over Apple rejecting the latest update to his app "Nine Inch Nails: Access" for objectionable content, the company quickly reversed its course of action. The iPhone app was approved by Apple with no changes made to the rejected version. I'm confident the world is now a better place as a result of mister Reznor's epic battle for App Store justice.

Was Apple showing favoritism to the celebrity rocker or did they relent just to keep the guy from continuing his doofus joy ride in the press? It's probably a bit of both. Who cares? As a result I'm left feeling a whole lot dumber enduring that entirely absurd experience. But still not dumber than NIN's EP "The Perfect Drug" Versions remixes. No one can reverse that unfortunate decision.

lmao

told ya

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Don't want to turn this into the gay thread...just to answer you quickly:
    I know very well the meaning of the word "gay", but thank you very much for trying to get me up to speed.
    If you read the comment badass1469 made carefully you'll realize that there is no way that his post was meant to be positive in any possible way.
    I found it rather offensive...
    and yes, I am gay.
    Just my 2 cents....

Quote Originally Posted by Grassmasta View Post
    LOL, wait...what? I thought badass1469 had a valid comment.

Sometimes gay isn't in reference to homosexuals. In the modern day, it is a word with joint meanings with 2 completely different connotations. You cant stop etymology my friend.

Also, if you still think its ignorance that your reading. My sister is gay, my boss is gay, and many more people in my life are gay. I've been pretty thorough in asking them what is offensive and what isn't. Most of them (id say 80%) use the word gay to describe things like fanny packs and Hannah Montana.

And in regards to the lack of an update... stupid, spoiled, power mongering apple! Its as if they aren't used to handling success and they are going mad with power.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Maybe Trent should team up with App Store devs too. Maybe then Apple will pay them on time.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12