+ Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Grip - Growl for iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I love Growl, can't live without it on my Mac, and I asked for Growl for iPhone a long time ago. However, now I can't think of practical use of
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I love Growl, can't live without it on my Mac, and I asked for Growl for iPhone a long time ago. However, now I can't think of practical use of Growl on iPhone. Don't we get notifications anyway for a lot of things? Also, I installed something (can't remember the name, a long time ago) that makes the iPhone vibrate when I haven't read an SMS or missed a call. Can you guys give me some practical examples of notifications that Growl gives you on the iPhone and you would not get otherwise?
    Thanks
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ite, so now that every body has said how amazing this is and how they wanna make love to it. Lets talk about this app for real. First off, amazing idea, soooo much potential. Now, as it comes it only does e-mail alert and memory. How can Grip take over all alerts, missed calls, sms, and when 3.0 comes out, all the push notification we will have? Also, how can quickreply be integrated with Grip?

AMAZING idea, sooo much potential. I am sure we will see much more to come of this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Im not familiar with this as I dont use MAC, sounds interesting though! Thanks

Thanks

there´s a video on youtube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1MPXkGrOc]YouTube - [iPhone-App] GriP - Jailbreak-Notification[/ame]

the advantage of grip comes from the fact that current iphone type of notifications, like what we get for calendar/sms, SUCK...stupid popup in the middle of the screen!! imagine when we have all the new push notification apps??? nightmare

GriP can make thinks much less intrusive, and actually usefull

by the way, i have it running perfectly on 3.0 beta 4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ares07 For This Useful Post:

marlon0923 (04-30-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me lightmaster's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lilskaterpunk View Post
    Im not familiar with this as I dont use MAC, sounds interesting though! Thanks
    Basically, you can get a little popup in one of the corners of the screen when you have and email. I'm also assuming that it will allow developers to add a way for their programs to send information to it so you can get a popup saying something like "Facebook: you have 2 new notifications."

Also, everyone who uses any kind of networking, from cell phones to Wi-Fi, uses MACs. Not everyone uses Macs though. The capitalization there is very important and its really annoying when people use the word MAC when they mean Mac.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

iPhone? More like MyPhone dillonsmith9147's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
    Basically, you can get a little popup in one of the corners of the screen when you have and email. I'm also assuming that it will allow developers to add a way for their programs to send information to it so you can get a popup saying something like "Facebook: you have 2 new notifications."

Also, everyone who uses any kind of networking, from cell phones to Wi-Fi, uses MACs. Not everyone uses Macs though. The capitalization there is very important and its really annoying when people use the word MAC when they mean Mac.
    firstly since this is a jb app id doubt facebook will and secondly we could just go oldschool and start calling it Macintosh

Thanks

firstly since this is a jb app id doubt facebook will
    feel free to read the documentation

Programming for GriP
    AppStore (SDK) developers

While GriP requires Jailbreaking for maximal function, it can also be made SDK-compatible. Of course, it is up to Apple Inc. to decide whether GriP-supporting source codes are acceptable, but GriP uses only documented API so technically it should be allowed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey, just curious, what theme do you have enabled in your pic?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hey guys, well i followed the instructions and i still screwed it up haha. Not a noob, but i need help. I installed and now my phone wont get out of safe mode. I deleted all the files created by this program. I really dont want to restore, so much of a pain. ANyone got any ideas of how i could fix this prob. Thanks in advance for any help. Im not sure why it didnt work for me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it would be hot and real nice when we get the chance to change the theme.
    when will it work for other apps like AIM or the beejiveim application.
    Does anyone know how to add it to beejiveim or Aim either one is good,, if you don't want to try it and want someone else to do it i will try it.

Thanks

Changing theme is one of the nice features of growl on macs. After I tried it on the iphone, I agree that these growls are less obtrusive than the typical iphone notifications, but they are still more obtrusive than status bar notifications. So far, it hasn't really added too much to my iphone use. But still, it's nice to be able to run it.

EDIT: After a little use, I think a nice feature is the low memory growl. It's helpful. Before things get really sluggish, you get a little growl that tells you that you are low on memory, so that you can clean up or kill some processes
    Last edited by marcoiac; 04-30-2009 at 10:59 PM.
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dust Busta's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone get this working on 3.0b4? If so how? I can't get mobile terminal working :/

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Install it via ssh

iPhone? More like MyPhone acaijr73's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marlon0923 View Post
    Is there a video on how to install this on your iphone or ipod touch. is there a youtube video on it.

its very easy to do.... theres a link in a prior post with the instructions it should literally take about 5 minutes to install...

heres the link**

GriP - networkpx - Users' and Developers' guide to GriP ? Growl for iPhone. - Google Code
    1) 16Gig 1ST GEN IPHONES 3.0 Unlkd /PWND/BNeutered

1) 16Gig 3G IPHONE BLK PWND, 3.1.2 F/Unlkd

1) 32Gig 3G(s) IPHONE 3.1.2 F/Unlockd/Blackra1nd

iPhone? More like MyPhone smeeshum's Avatar
    Thanks

How can I install the .deb file if ssh terminal does not work? I've been getting an error since beta3 and coreutils is installed. Please help me as I really want this.
    Could someone possibly host the file on a Cydia repo somewhere please?

Ta

sM3e

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

I just can't get into the whole Growl thing. I've tried it a few times but it always just kind of annoyed me. Perhaps this will be different. I'll probably give it a shot though...
    Last edited by billchase2; 05-01-2009 at 06:53 AM.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Isn't this something like the Push feature thats going to be available for apps on 3.0? We already have the audio, and i think in the conference videos they were showing how meebo will give you a Pop-Up saying that you have a new IM etc. Maybe Growl itself will be in the app store since Dev's are allowed to script Pop-up notifications.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

@lightmaster
    Thanks for explaining.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

WHat about Memmory Usage? IS this a Heavy App ? Cause its always ruuning in the background...With Winterboard already sometimes the phone is slow..also with some other Lockscreens als with changing backgrounds and with SB settings and iRealssms (also running in background) all that togher I`m running and have free of 30mb Memmory.

Sometimes the phone is slow and needs a restart.... Also I think that 2.2.1 is very bad firmware compare with previuos fimwares.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyepoper View Post
    WHat about Memmory Usage? IS this a Heavy App ? Cause its always ruuning in the background...With Winterboard already sometimes the phone is slow..also with some other Lockscreens als with changing backgrounds and with SB settings and iRealssms (also running in background) all that togher I`m running and have free of 30mb Memmory.
    I haven't seen any noticeable increase in memory usage. BTW, a cool Growl feature is missing in Grip, that is, GrowlTunes. When I am listening to music and browsing the Web with MobileSafari or reading tweets on a tweeter app for iPhone (or whatever else I am doing) and the iPod app changes song, it's nice to get a little notification with the info on the new song played. But this feature is not currently available in Grip. It should not be too difficult to implement it.
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3