Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SlingPlayer Targeted in AT&T TOS Update

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

Default SlingPlayer Targeted in AT&T TOS Update

Where is SlingPlayer? Why hasn't it been approved yet? When is it coming?

If AT&T has anything to say about the issue SlingPlayer will never see the light of day on the App Store. Two weeks ago a rumor started circulating that AT&T was stopping SlingPlayer from being approved. The rumor started because AT&T's TOS were updated to prohibit "customer initiated redirection of television or other video or audio signals via any technology from a fixed location to a mobile device." This was later removed by AT&T and calimed to be a mistake.

Some weeks later SlingPlayer is still missing from the App Store and it is becoming clearer that AT&T is most likely influencing the App Store approval process with their latest TOS update.

While most common uses for Intranet browsing, email and intranet access are permitted by your data plan, there are certain uses that cause extreme network capacity issues and interference with the network and are therefore prohibited. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation . . .downloading movies using P2P file sharing services, redirecting television signals for viewing on Personal Computers, web broadcasting, and/or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices....
    SlingPlayer redirects television signals. AT&T's TOS for their wireless broadband network specifically prohibits that. It isn't looking good for SlingPlayer.

[via slingcommunity] thanks for the tip JazJon

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

what the hell! AT&T is pure evil

Green Apple
    Thanks

I see the reasoning I guess... not allows someone to use a different cable service and and stream it for free... I bet the best bet is doin something like Att does with espn 360 if you have uverse then you can use espn 360 on any computer once you assocaite your account on their wireless internet with your espn360 id. still would love to see it but I doubt it will happen

Default Whats it got to do with them
    I live in the UK and my iphone is on the O2 network, why should i not beable to get the slingplayer because of AT&T.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

as posted on the Sling Community forums

There's an awful lot of hubbub going around today about "new" terms in AT&T's wireless contract agreement that seemingly forbid streaming video from your television to your PC or your phone -- in other words, using a Slingbox -- which would seem to be a rewrite of language added and pulled a few weeks ago. Here's the problem: the terms aren't new, and they don't forbid video streaming. One of our editors has a month-old hard copy of AT&T's terms that were mailed to him after agreeing to a new contract, and they're exactly the same -- word for word.

Furthermore, the language in question is this: "This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services, redirecting television signals for viewing on Personal Computers..." but the problem is that the examples given here are referring to earlier language. In that language, we see that AT&T is more concerned about "server devices or host computer applications" -- that's subsection (i), if you're interested. In other words, AT&T's trying to stop you from uploading a television stream using its connection, not downloading -- and frankly, that sounds like the most painful operation ever conceived by man anyway, so we don't think we're going to get too many violators here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tower72 For This Useful Post:

tsatryan (04-30-2009)

Yeah see this kinda sh.it right here is why the iPhone should NOT be tied down because of a CELL PHONE CARRIER! It's not called the AT&T iPhone it's called the APPLE iPhone.

What about people who have FACTORY UNLOCKED iPhones and aren't even on AT&T?
    Last edited by CrooKid; 04-30-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks

I guess this is how at&t can say they have the fastest network. If you don't let anybody put it to the test then there will never be a slowing down. I just think since we are on an unlimited plan for internet that they don't want to deal with us putting a strain on their system making them look bad. I think at&t needs to just dump a huge amount of money into their cell system and make the whole country 3g. I've had my iPhone for a short period of time, but still have never been able to see what 3g is really like. I live an hour or more away from the closest 3g spot.

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T can claim bandwidth, but the issue is sling competes with their own television product "AT&T Mobile TV Plus".

This should not have anything to do with AT&T as the iPhone is offered by many more carriers in several countries. If AT&T doesn't want it they should figure a way out to block it otherwise deal with it. I currently use the Slingplayer on my AT&T Bold everyday, is this "illegal" per the TOS? If so screw you AT&T, you wont stop the phone community from a simple hack!

cant we get a petition going to encourage slingmedia to post their app up in the cydia store. money is money right? if apple says no they wont be making any money right? iknow that the iphone is responsible for most of the internet traffic these days but b4 it came out i have to believe the other windows based smartphones ruled that department and they were and still are allowed to sling. i dont know anyone who was shut down by at&t including myself for using the slingbox. i truly believe they are trying to figure out a way to make it more profitable for both apple and at&t which sucks for all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

does any one know if sling player will just move to cydia if they are not allowed in the app store?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    AT&T can claim bandwidth, but the issue is sling competes with their own television product "AT&T Mobile TV Plus".
    How does it compete with AT&T's Mobile TV when the iPhone doesn't even have Mobile TV?
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lgreenberg For This Useful Post:

tsatryan (04-30-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Does no one bother to ever check sources? The very source quoted - Slingcommunity.com - states within the very same thread as the part quoted in this thread that this is NOTHING new at all. The verbiage stated in this quote is identical to what has been in the ATT contract all along. And, in fact, when read in CONTEXT rather than used as a pull-quote, it is obvious that it is referring to UPloading, not DOWNloading. Meaning, you can't use your ATT Wireless account (including your iPhone) as a server to UPstream content, including video. (Not that anyone in their right mind would ever do such a thing.)

In short, this post means NOTHING. And, reposting it serves no purpose other than trying to make news out of no news, and creating inflammatory remarks from others.

The sling app may or may not get approved. But, there is NOTHING in this thread, including the original post, that has anything to do with the decision that will be made.

Default New update on SLINGBOX.COM
    Here is a new statement made by sling box on their site.(I think it is gonna go through, maybe modifing certain things with apple.)

The team has been working hard to bring the SlingPlayer Mobile experience to the iPhone and iPod Touch. We've submitted the first release of our application to the iPhone App Store. We are in close contact with our partners at Apple and are optimistic that it will be approved soon. We hope the wait won’t be much longer. In the mean time, take a sneak peek

That is not a "new" update on the Sling website. Sling posted that once they submitted the App to Apple and has been up ever since.

Not correct ..... only the first sentence is the same.
    They indeed did change the message !

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingmofo View Post
    Here is a new statement made by sling box on their site.(I think it is gonna go through, maybe modifing certain things with apple.)

The team has been working hard to bring the SlingPlayer Mobile experience to the iPhone and iPod Touch. We've submitted the first release of our application to the iPhone App Store. We are in close contact with our partners at Apple and are optimistic that it will be approved soon. We hope the wait won’t be much longer. In the mean time, take a sneak peek
    That's not new. That was posted well over a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by nlrela View Post
    Not correct ..... only the first sentence is the same.
    They indeed did change the message !
    It is you who are incorrect. The changes you speak of were made, as I said, well over a week ago. Further, it has nothing at all to do with the erroneous statement - and ESPECIALLY the flame-insighting graphic at the beginning of this thread.
    Last edited by tsatryan; 04-30-2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i think this is a big mistake for AT&T and apple, if they were to agree with Slingbox, that would seriously give the iPhone a big boost in marketing for the people who love to watch TV, It would become a more of a threat to other companies and would make the iphone one heck of a phone

but i guess that woot happen

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    Does no one bother to ever check sources? The very source quoted - Slingcommunity.com - states within the very same thread as the part quoted in this thread that this is NOTHING new at all. The verbiage stated in this quote is identical to what has been in the ATT contract all along. And, in fact, when read in CONTEXT rather than used as a pull-quote, it is obvious that it is referring to UPloading, not DOWNloading. Meaning, you can't use your ATT Wireless account (including your iPhone) as a server to UPstream content, including video. (Not that anyone in their right mind would ever do such a thing.)
    Wouldn't that make using Qik go against AT&T's ToS if not using WiFi? I'm in MY right mind.

I'm starting to wonder if I really do want the app. Without it, I'm saving $250 (new Slingbox and the cost of the app) and a lot of battery life. Plus, I don't have any shows I can't miss that I can't just find on the Internet later on. The longer I wait, the more I realize how I would be ok without this app forever. Of course, I'd still like to have it.
    Last edited by Channan; 04-30-2009 at 10:52 AM.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast