+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Unwilling to Drop AT&T, CDMA version not likely!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by awesome austin Thank u come again. LOL ... relax, dude!
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesome austin View Post
    Thank u come again.
    LOL ... relax, dude!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im cool with at&t, they have great 3g coverage in Los Angeles. Plus we dont worry as much about unlocking just good old jailbreaking.

Thanks

China has 4 experimental 3G networks Two on GSM/HSDPA(which is actually W-CDMA) and two on CDMA (CDMA-2000). They don't know what is best so have got two of each, all in very early development.
    Europe, Australia japan and Singapore together with AT&T all us W-CDMA which has far more subscribers than CDMA2000 1x EV-DO as used by Verizon

Unless, of course, I am very much mistaken....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

runCMD
    AT&T Wireless doesn't work well ( if much at all ) at my home. Verizon does. I love the iPhone - but this is not good news for me ... and others in my situation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blazingangel1986's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    I didn't see that coming..
    dido
    www.ccbahamas.co.nr

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

i hope the new phone has a massage function and runs on a 12 ghz frequency so it can penetrate my tin foil helmet. keeping the government out of my brain has put a cramp in my iphoning
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djames04 View Post
    lol.. cingular bought att (bell south at the time) back in the day.. and then att bought back cingular.

The reason GSM networks are better is because the technology doesn't have as strict as a limit as CDMA and that the world uses the technology.
    Cingular purchased AT&T's wireless division. Surely it had a lot of behind the scenes stuff that we never heard about because it is odd that Cingular would turn right back around and give the company back to AT&T.

Either way I win. GSM is where it is at. Granted they don't have the most widespread 3G network, but who really needs that? Their Edge market and voice coverage is the best.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    So then China + US = rest of the world?
    CHina + US + Canada + Parts of Europe.

CDMA is all over the world, just as GSM. I grew up in an area of Canada that was and still is only CDMA, hell they still have analog only areas up there.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blazingangel1986 View Post
    dido
    She is an awesome singer!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuRo View Post
    I know lots of people on AT&T, with great service.. Don't know what your talking about , all maybe you just upset that it's not coming to verizon.
    No. Great service (i.e. being able to use your 2G or 3G iPhone to make calls, etc) is one thing. But trying to get a hold of a customer service rep is another when you have a problem. I will say that my "cellular service" (using the iPhone) seems to be pretty good in KC.

But like anything else, everything is great until you have to call someone to complain about it (i.e. phone quit working, unexpected overcharges or bill questions, technical help, etc). Now that's the service I am talking about. They still suck in that area IMO! But when picking the best of two (or three) evils and wanting to use my expensive 3G brick, I am inclined to stay.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rdwalsh View Post

CDMA is all over the world, just as GSM. I grew up in an area of Canada that was and still is only CDMA, hell they still have analog only areas up there.
    Where in Europe uses CDMA?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brotherbond007's Avatar
    Thanks

I have had AT&T/Cingular for 5 years, never had a problem at home or travels throughout the US. Before the iPhone I was looking to switch to Verizon mainly becase 80% of my friends had it. After the iPhone's release 80% of my friends, even my MOM has AT&T w/iPhone. If you ask me, I saw everyone laughing at the iPhone, Verizon, Microsoft, etc.. and I am sooo glad I was patient. My iPhone Freakin' rocks! I have owned the 1st and 2nd Gen. If they release another one in the future (June) whenever, I will buy it and sell the 3G I have to pay for the new model. I have even switched my OS in my home to Mac. So satified that I will probably by a Mac Air notebook soon. I travel a lot and it seemd perfect for me. Anyone that has major complaints about AT&T, just go back to the PDA or Phone and service you had before. Trust me..you'll have withdrawls and come runnning back..especially in June. LMAO
    Black iPhone 4 iOS4 AT&T

The iPhone 4 "my precious" - Gollum

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,274 Times in 652 Posts

I don't understand the whole point of the CDMA vs GSM (WCDMA) discussion.

There are 3.7 billion GSM subscribers compared to only 464 million CDMA subscribers worldwide. If you wanted to sell a phone to everyone which would you choose?

CDG : Worldwide : CDMA Worldwide
    GSM World : Home of the GSM Association

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris4851 View Post
    Verizon made a horrible business decision when it passed on the iPhone originally.

wwaaa?!?!?! why did they do that?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jammole For This Useful Post:

brianturney (04-25-2009)

Thanks

CDMA should have died all ready

and analog too for that matter... although i miss the excitement of the Analog Bag Phone in its day... that was awesome... then the HUGE *** flip phone, man that was hot ****... funny how things have advanced so in really a short peroid of time...

oops, sorry to cuss... wasn't thinking!
    Last edited by deruk; 04-24-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammole View Post
    Because Verizon thinks their SH*^ don't stink and are slow to adopt new technologies unless they are forced because of crappy revenues. I'm glad they regret thumbing their nose at the IPhone. They deserve the regret and millions they lost because of their caveman decision making ways. I've had ATT for the past two years and they rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammole View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deruk View Post
    CDMA should have died all ready

and analog too for that matter... although i miss the excitement of the Analog Bag Phone in its day... that was awesome... then the HUGE *** flip phone, man that was hot ****... funny how things have advanced so in really a short peroid of time...

oops, sorry to cuss... wasn't thinking!
    I agree. There were NO 100% touchscreen phones (without the sh|tty/hoakie/crappy/make your phone super thick, slide out keyboards) being subsidized by Verizon or any other carrier in the USA when the IPhone came out. I KNOW because I surveyed them all personally and then finally went out and spent $800 effin dollars on an HTC touchscreen phone with Windows mobile POS OS on it. Now look at all the copy cats trying to get in on it. Even crappy blackberry. Back when Iphone came out everyone was focused on those THICK, BULKY peices of crap with trashy flimsy slide out keyboards to cater to people who can't learn new input methods. Those are the same people who probably refuse to use a touchscreen checkin kiosk at the airport and wait in the longer lines to have a 'real person' do it because the new technology scares them. haha. fools. its 2009. LEARN new ways. We see what happens to these Verizon/tmobiles out there when they don't. They sit and regret and try to make up for lost time. whaaa

Quote Originally Posted by brotherbond007 View Post
    I have had AT&T/Cingular for 5 years, never had a problem at home or travels throughout the US. Before the iPhone I was looking to switch to Verizon mainly becase 80% of my friends had it. After the iPhone's release 80% of my friends, even my MOM has AT&T w/iPhone. If you ask me, I saw everyone laughing at the iPhone, Verizon, Microsoft, etc.. and I am sooo glad I was patient. My iPhone Freakin' rocks! I have owned the 1st and 2nd Gen. If they release another one in the future (June) whenever, I will buy it and sell the 3G I have to pay for the new model. I have even switched my OS in my home to Mac. So satified that I will probably by a Mac Air notebook soon. I travel a lot and it seemd perfect for me. Anyone that has major complaints about AT&T, just go back to the PDA or Phone and service you had before. Trust me..you'll have withdrawls and come runnning back..especially in June. LMAO
    Wait till fall and get the Apple netbook. It'll be badass and cheaper when its released.
    Last edited by brianturney; 04-25-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianturney View Post
    Because Verizon thinks their SH*^ don't stink and are slow to adopt new technologies unless they are forced because of crappy revenues. I'm glad they regret thumbing their nose at the IPhone. They deserve the regret and millions they lost because of their caveman decision making ways. I've had ATT for the past two years and they rock.
    That's actually not entirely true. Apple chose AT&T because back in 2004, Cingular (AT&T) was the LARGEST wireless carrier in the United States. ( America's Top Wireless Carriers ). At the time Cingular had 46 millions users.

Apple decision was mainly for marketing benefit purposes. Steve Jobs understood where to start selling his toy. Cingular/AT&T had the biggest potential at the time for his iPhone. Remember it took Apple 2.5 years to develop iPhone before the 2007 launch, so Steve had already figured out the profit of his product back in early 2004.

Source: Why Apple was Wise to Choose AT&T for iPhone - Associated Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    I don't understand the whole point of the CDMA vs GSM (WCDMA) discussion.

There are 3.7 billion GSM subscribers compared to only 464 million CDMA subscribers worldwide. If you wanted to sell a phone to everyone which would you choose?

CDG : Worldwide : CDMA Worldwide
    GSM World : Home of the GSM Association
    Agreed. There's also the battery life argument which trumps everything. And I'm not talking about the battery life of your monochrome piece of crap with a monotone ringer. CDMA by design has a higher power consumption. Who cares if CDMA has better range if your battery is dead?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rdwalsh View Post

The point I was trying to make was that GSM is predominant throughout the world. As Confucius (the user) said, China has all 4 and is undecided. I don;t know where in Europe has CDMA still, but probably not a large area of it. CDMA is by far the most prominent in the US with Verizon, and there are talks that even they will go GSM in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    That's actually not entirely true. Apple chose AT&T because back in 2004, Cingular (AT&T) was the LARGEST wireless carrier in the United States. ( America's Top Wireless Carriers ). At the time Cingular had 46 millions users.

Apple decision was mainly for marketing benefit purposes. Steve Jobs understood where to start selling his toy. Cingular/AT&T had the biggest potential at the time for his iPhone. Remember it took Apple 2.5 years to develop iPhone before the 2007 launch, so Steve had already figured out the profit of his product back in early 2004.

Source: Why Apple was Wise to Choose AT&T for iPhone - Associated Content
    Exc ept that they went to Verizon first...

Quote Originally Posted by brianturney View Post

I agree. There were NO 100% touchscreen phones (without the sh|tty/hoakie/crappy/make your phone super thick, slide out keyboards) being subsidized by Verizon or any other carrier in the USA when the IPhone came out. I KNOW because I surveyed them all personally and then finally went out and spent $800 effin dollars on an HTC touchscreen phone with Windows mobile POS OS on it. Now look at all the copy cats trying to get in on it. Even crappy blackberry. Back when Iphone came out everyone was focused on those THICK, BULKY peices of crap with trashy flimsy slide out keyboards to cater to people who can't learn new input methods. Those are the same people who probably refuse to use a touchscreen checkin kiosk at the airport and wait in the longer lines to have a 'real person' do it because the new technology scares them. haha. fools. its 2009. LEARN new ways. We see what happens to these Verizon/tmobiles out there when they don't. They sit and regret and try to make up for lost time. whaaa
    Choosing a phone is just that, a choice. Nobody HAS to learn anything new when it comes to input. Believe it or not plenty of people like a real keyboard and calling them "crappy slide-outs" is highly subjective. I have had an iphone since launch and love it, but there are still times I wouldn't mind a tangible keyboard. As for the touch screen kiosks, maybe some people don't support the fact that machines are replacing those people in the workplace.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-26-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    AT&T uses 1900MHz. 2100MHz is another standard and T-Mobile's 1700MHz is indeed strange, forgot they were down there.
    T-Mobile uses 1700 for uploads and 2100 for downloads,the iphone uses 1900/2100. The two different frequencies arent better than each other they are on different spectrum to prevent interference from other signals using the same technologies. Its all about the bandwidth of the network and quality of the network.

Look, its never a good thing when you have one company having exclusive rights to a product. The consumer does not have a choice on the product. i think the i-phone should stay on gsm type system and have multi network capabilities whether its gprs, edge, or 3g. Personaly i love tmobile and the quality of service i get from them. So i have both tmobile and att for the iphone 3g network only. if i could have my way on tmobile the iphone would also be.
    Last edited by crazy4dss; 04-26-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost