+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Codename Jibbler. iPhone Voice Control and Feedback

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to sources that contacted Ars iPhone firmware 3.0 will have voice control and feedback in addition to the tons of other new features previously reported. Codenamed "Jibbler" the iPhone
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default Codename Jibbler. iPhone Voice Control and Feedback

According to sources that contacted Ars iPhone firmware 3.0 will have voice control and feedback in addition to the tons of other new features previously reported. Codenamed "Jibbler" the iPhone voice system will include both voice recognition to allow you to control the iPhone by speaking and voice synthesis similar to the latest iPod Shuffle which can "read" track titles etc to you.

"Jibbler" will probably be an enhancement to the iPhone's spingboard somehow -- the details aren't clear. It also reportedly supports spotlight. Support for the Jibbler report are references to classes in the iPhone firmware including VSSpeechSynthesizer, VSRecognitionSession, SBVoiceControlDisableHandlerActions, SBSensitiveJibblerEnabled, and SBVoiceControlSoundCompletion with VS probably standing for Voice Services and SB standing for SpringBoard.

[via ars - image via giz] thank JazJon for the tip

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

drewhiggins (04-22-2009), ipirate (04-22-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe You Can just Say "downgrade MY baseband".. maybe not but at least work with Cydia.. That would be cool

Livin the iPhone Life NeoNightmareX's Avatar
    Thanks

Finally! My brother's Blackberry will have no more advantages over my iPhone
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Wondering.....
    Since the iPhone got multiple languages, I'm wondering how is gonna work for all those diff languages

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^^Could we be that lucky?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

drewhiggins (04-22-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chberain View Post
    Since the iPhone got multiple languages, I'm wondering how is gonna work for all those diff languages
    I would guess that there might be some update packages that can be downloaded via itunes (perhaps for a small fee) that would enable this?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Or like other phones you have to record the "tag" in your own voice and attach it to a specific action in which case it would be universal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Or like other phones you have to record the "tag" in your own voice and attach it to a specific action in which case it would be universal.
    They already have apps that do voice recognition without having to record the tags. Vlingo!

I'll be easy for Apple to integrate that into the iPhone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

It's going to be quite nice when it's built in. I'm sure they'll get it just right too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Way to go apple...finally the iphone has all the features of a free phone! Better late than never, now everybody who says the iphone can do the basics are going to be eating their words.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Pure Joy
    Well! Finally the circle closes...For those like me with a car stereo w/ Harman Kardon Drive & Play + iPhone (stored @ the glove box) and a Samsung bluetooth headphone, the 3.0 will do the handsfree magic, easy and simple.

Thanks

Okay so then voice dialing will be possible. Great! But if voice dialing is something you launch from the springboard, then there's no point. It hopefully will be launched by a hardware shortcut. I think that double tapping the sleep button will work best, because double tapping the home button is already taken, and adding a new button on the next iphone for that will make it incompatible with the 1st generation and 3G iPhones. I hope that speech recognition (and, in particular, voice dialing) will be in 3.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnBoard View Post
    Okay so then voice dialing will be possible. Great! But if voice dialing is something you launch from the springboard, then there's no point. It hopefully will be launched by a hardware shortcut. I think that double tapping the sleep button will work best, because double tapping the home button is already taken, and adding a new button on the next iphone for that will make it incompatible with the 1st generation and 3G iPhones. I hope that speech recognition (and, in particular, voice dialing) will be in 3.0
    That's partially true. Technically speaking, the double tap action for the home button is taken but it is customizable. So you can always change what you want the double tap home action to do. I would pick voice command over launching iPod =)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by a325pro2 View Post
    Maybe You Can just Say "downgrade MY baseband".. maybe not but at least work with Cydia.. That would be cool
    lol lol lol..

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Its plainly there in the 3.0 beta releases

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am not at legaly able to say where i got this info, hold home button speak command release home button command is executed/.iphone headset hold button speak command release button command executed future plans to incorporate a activation word, ie "bob" vs is now active vocalise a recogniseable command, command executed. Flaws, places with lots of human noises not cars , planes etc but vocal noises will withing a certain proximity will throw it off..vs only works within certain apps think about it you will know wich ones simplicity is what apple is about. Look at a stock phone, how easy/simple it is to
    Navigate color icons pn a black background very easy to see even if it is blurred (bad vision) it is still easy to see an use enjoy that cause i dont like tp spoil ot fpr the masses, not that mmi is THE masses but you know welp goodnight kids oh ps most imbedded spfyware engineers have modded phones...although its looked down uppon by the legal guys and higher ups

Thanks

Default voice commands on g2 phone?
    i have heard that the voice commands will not work on the 2g or 3g iphone.. only on the 3gs...

and even on the apple site
    Apple - iPhone - Compare iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G

it does not show voice control on the 3g.. just the 3gs

any ideas or opinions?

Ad

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

That's because they won't. They were pretty clear in saying the voice commands are a 3Gs feature.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    That's because they won't. They were pretty clear in saying the voice commands are a 3Gs feature.

so the voice command is a hardware thing? or do you thing the modding community will figure out a way to get it on the 2g?

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imovaherenow View Post
    so the voice command is a hardware thing? or do you thing the modding community will figure out a way to get it on the 2g?
    It's not necessarily hardware. Whether it's possible for the 2G/3G to be able to it is anyone's guess. I can't imagine voice recognition to be light in processing power so if they manage to get it running on earlier models expect it to be laggy and/or unreliable.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.