+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Doubling 3G Speed (And SEXTUPLING Soon)

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I get 3G coverage EVERYWHERE in England and it's already at 7.2 Mbps, US is way behind in mobile technology. Btw, that info is based on a Nokia N95 8GB
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I get 3G coverage EVERYWHERE in England and it's already at 7.2 Mbps, US is way behind in mobile technology.
    Btw, that info is based on a Nokia N95 8GB as I don't have a 3G iPhone, so I assume the iPhone 3G would also get the 3G coverage.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 04-21-2009 at 01:12 PM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is freaking awesome cause here in Hawaii our DSL and Road Runner speeds tank our infrastructure on either blow royal donkey balls. DSL caps out at 11mbps if you qualify and you pay out the wazoo for it. And RR sucks cause where I live there's only 1 bandwidth pipe to go for two cities. So the bandwidth sharing sucks so I don't even bother with going cable. So having these awesome bandwidth opportunities via mobile is fantastic can't wait and I don't even care if it's going to cost me an extra $10 a month I'd even go another $20 a month if I had to.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb03 View Post
    How about they work on getting 3g coverage on more than about 15-20% of the US. the closet 3g coverage to me is about 100 miles away. Lame
    I second that motion! My parents have 3G and they're in the woods of Pennsylvania. I'm on one of the biggest college campuses in Virginia and I don't have 3G?!

Thanks

With these advances does anyone think that the actually 3g network will be increase in range and stability by default. Whats the point in having the new network capabilities if its only available 5-8% of the time? And what will it fall back to when its not available... Regular 3G? I'm just hoping this will be better all around. I plan on buying the new phone without question in June, but I'd like the service to match the product optimally.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    I get 3G coverage EVERYWHERE in England and it's already at 7.2 Mbps, US is way behind in mobile technology.
    Btw, that info is based on a Nokia N95 8GB as I don't have a 3G iPhone, so I assume the iPhone 3G would also get the 3G coverage.
    Keep in mind that your country is A LOT smaller than the US and updating the towers there doesn't take nearly as much time or money to do so.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by limppp View Post
    14.4....try 300 baud. Back when the closest thing to the internet was a bunch of BBS
    But the closest thing to the internet wasn't internet, so it hardly counts. It's like comparing an old school movie theater to the first tv set... not the same

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    Keep in mind that your country is A LOT smaller than the US and updating the towers there doesn't take nearly as much time or money to do so.
    No Chris, England is better in EVERY way!!! Haven't you seen that attitude from dozens of UK MMI users?
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-21-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

... talked to my cohorts at T... June is going to be an awesome month! MMI will be crazier than ever / busier than ever in the coming months.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hell yeah.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It makes me sick every time AT&T starts talking about improving 3g speeds. Their lack of coverage is pathetic. I can travel 25 miles either way & I'm in a major city & still no coverage.
    AT&T has around 317 cities/towns that have 3G. You will know how sad that is when you realize there are over 18,000 cities/towns in the US.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dillonsmith9147's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by r1994augusto View Post
    definitively AT&T is the best network out there!
    AHAHAHAHA thats the funniest thing ive ever heard, AT&T althougth i am unfortuatly stuck with until apple desides that verizon would make them more money, is by far the worst network, ok maybey not the worst but DEFINATlY not best, have you ever seen a comparison chart of Verizon and ATT's 3g coverage, weather it will be faster or not it will only be in select few places, id rather have slower 3g then 4g when i travel to a big city, plus what about LTE?

and just as a side note, unless ATT does something about coverage, especially at my house where i have half a bar, i will switch to VZW even though i love my iphone, guess ill have to settle for crackberry or wait for an EV-DO iphone
    Last edited by dillonsmith9147; 04-21-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life NeoNightmareX's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    The U.S. is behind almost every country in any ranking system for internet speeds.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wisecat74 View Post
    No really it's OK, I don't need to know how to create a new thread, I just wanted to recommend a FREE iPhone app that lets you backup your contacts wirelessly and makes them accessible online. You can even add and edit contacts online. YOU UNGRATEFUL SOBs!!!
    Guys I am very sorry about these stupid remarks I made, I had a few drinks and really got frustrated when I saw no replies. I apologize.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy
    No Chris, England is better in EVERY way!!! Haven't you seen that attitude from dozens of UK MMI users?
    L...O...L! DDDDD

Quote Originally Posted by dillonsmith9147
    AHAHAHAHA thats the funniest thing ive ever heard, AT&T althougth i am unfortuatly stuck with until apple desides that verizon would make them more money, is by far the worst network, ok maybey not the worst but DEFINATlY not best, have you ever seen a comparison chart of Verizon and ATT's 3g coverage, weather it will be faster or not it will only be in select few places, id rather have slower 3g then 4g when i travel to a big city, plus what about LTE?

and just as a side note, unless ATT does something about coverage, especially at my house where i have half a bar, i will switch to VZW even though i love my iphone, guess ill have to settle for crackberry or wait for an EV-DO iphone
    You people keep complaining about AT&T's coverage, and I have no problem with them. They've got great service here (New Orleans) and that's all that matters to me. But if you can't get a signal with AT&T where you live, why the hell would you buy a phone that's locked to that network?

I'm sick of people whining about not having 3G in their area. It's not like you bought the phone and had 3G in your city and then AT&T took it away. You CHOOSE to pay for service you don't get. That's all on you!

Quote Originally Posted by wisecat74 View Post
    Guys I am very sorry about these stupid remarks I made, I had a few drinks and really got frustrated when I saw no replies. I apologize.
    No worries, dude. This is one of the few sites I've been to where people don't really seem to interact with each other much. Everyone seems to just post and move on instead of actually replying to questions and comments.

You see people quoting other people's posts, but not to respond to that person, but merely elaborate on their post or disagree. Don't think there's many "friendships" going on at these forums. lol
    Last edited by Channan; 04-21-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndianCheese View Post
    I like paying $6 for full Internet on T-Mobile.
    Full internet? At what speed? Until you have decent HSDPA speeds you have not experienced full internet on your phone. T-Mobile here in the UK have been upgrading their network to 7.2 Mb for a while, they are by far the best in the UK but this is a theoretical maximum - the most I've seen on my phone is 1.9Mb but it rarely dips below 1.1Mb

The first Modem I used was 2400baud and cost 799 but I was already an old man back then (my son recently asked who was king when I was born....)
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dillonsmith9147 View Post

Yeah.Ok. I travel a lot. So do my co-workers. They are always complaining about their service. I get a lot of requests from them to use my phone because their service is weak...T-Mo, Sprint, Verizon. I stick with AT&T because they have the map covered. The only place I lost signal once was in the panhandle of Oklahoma and they have since fixed that dead zone.

Thanks
    Chris, Yeah it seems that way.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It just pisses me off that I have to buy a new iphone just to get faster internet when my 3G is supposed to be at 14 MBPS but AT&T is restricting it! AT&T should unrestrict it's 3G services before going to a totally different technology.

What's Jailbreak? keech_running's Avatar
    Thanks

If only i had att!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by braddahjosh View Post
    It just pisses me off that I have to buy a new iphone just to get faster internet when my 3G is supposed to be at 14 MBPS but AT&T is restricting it! AT&T should unrestrict it's 3G services before going to a totally different technology.
    3G is 384Mbs
    HSDPA can be up tyo 14400 but that does involve very heavy investment in infrastructure.
    You really should get your facts straight.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OneRing2Rule View Post
    I remember when 2400 baud was DOUBLE the old speed of 1200 baud. and I distinctly remember using 300 baud on some really old 1983 bulletin board.

Those were the days....
    Don't you actually like looking back at all the times you waited around 10 minutes to post a message to one? I know I thought it was hot **** at the time lol. Weird.