Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HD Video Output in Next iPhone Model?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default HD Video Output in Next iPhone Model?

Remember the $49 Apple Composite AV Cable and the $49 Apple Component AV Cable? That let you currently output 480i and 480p video to your TV from your iPhone and iPod Touch (respectively)? Well Apple is telling all Apple Authorized Retailers to clear those out of inventory.

Why?

The guys at PhoneNews have "confirmed" (rumor alert) Apple will be releasing a new cable - the Apple AV Cable. The cable will support both component and composite output, so folks can easily plug in to their HD and SD TV's without having to buy separate cables.

But that's not the best part - supposedly, the reason behind this is the new iPhone and iPod Touch models
    will enable full HD playback, with 720p and 1080i output modes. Apple will also provide the ability for users to plug their iPhone into their HDTV, and gateway onto a userís Wi-Fi network, and access their entire iTunes library on their HDTV.
    In other words, your iPhone becomes an AppleTV with full 1080i video output. Couple that with the recent move to HD content supported in the iTunes Store - and you've got a bustling media market for Apple to capitalize on, and you to spend the money you could save by just watching Hulu.

phonenews.com

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

i can absolutely see hd in the new iphone

gotta match the zune

this also means that screensplittr and tv out will be going bye bye

Meh I don't think so. I mean why take the time(and waste storage) to put HD videos in your iPhone when you can just put a DVD(with 1080p upconverting) or Blu-ray or even plug your laptop to your HDTV already. It would make more sense if the iPhone had 100gb hardrive that way it could be used as a portable HDD.

I think they are making the new cables just to have both composite and component and for compatibility with the next iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    we all knew HD was comin when the parts lists were released awhile back, the led screen instead of lcd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    Meh I don't think so. I mean why take the time(and waste storage) to put HD videos in your iPhone when you can just put a DVD(with 1080p upconverting) or Blu-ray or even plug your laptop to your HDTV already. It would make more sense if the iPhone had 100gb hardrive that way it could be used as a portable HDD.

I think they are making the new cables just to have both composite and component and for compatibility with the next iPhone.
    The iPhone will be used to stream the media from another iTunes library on your network, the media will not be stored on the iPhone itself.

This will be a hit, a big big big hit. If they implement this properly, as only Apple can, every person that owns an iPhone will use this im sure.

Pair a bluetooth keyboard + mouse with the iphone and you have yourself mobile safari on your TV ...... perhaps .....
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone elsgk2's Avatar
    Thanks

How much room would one HD movie take up on the phone?
    *T*Mo**

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elsgk2 View Post
    How much room would one HD movie take up on the phone?
    I think the idea is that the movie is not stored on the iPhone itself, but rather streamed from a cmputer/itunes library on your network.

However, after thinking bout this idea a bit more, i cant see it happening.

Suck it up, Sucker

I can see this happening on the Touch but not the iPhone. Keeping the iPhone as a phone but making the Touch the ultimate entertainment everything could work well in differentiating between the two.

Phone gets calls, GPS, 3G
    Touch gets faster processor speeds, HD output, etc.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone elsgk2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    I think the idea is that the movie is not stored on the iPhone itself, but rather streamed from a cmputer/itunes library on your network.
    ahhh I see. So the iPhone will be a gateway b/w your tv and your home computer.
    *T*Mo**

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I can see this happening on the Touch but not the iPhone. Keeping the iPhone as a phone but making the Touch the ultimate entertainment everything could work well in differentiating between the two.

I think your wrong, Apple wants to concentrate more on the phone market, Apple already own most of the iPod/mp3 market. They now need to gain the mobile market.

Why would Apple give Touch them features but not the iPhone.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Green Apple
    Thanks

sounds like a dream to me for the next iphone... I don't think it will be here for awhile. The 3.0 doesn't show any hints of this does it? and it seems like it would drain your battery before you even finished one hd movie, I mean thats alot of bandwidth and processing for such a tiny platform...

Worst Idea ever lol. To me the iPod touch is a failed iPhone who is targetted to kids that don't need cellphones. I'd rather have everything in one device. Thats one of the thing that made the iPhone so amazing in the first place. Plus one big advantage of the iPhone is having the internet everywhere.

The iPhone will be used to stream the media from another iTunes library on your network, the media will not be stored on the iPhone itself.

This will be a hit, a big big big hit. If they implement this properly, as only Apple can, every person that owns an iPhone will use this im sure.

Pair a bluetooth keyboard + mouse with the iphone and you have yourself mobile safari on your TV ...... perhaps .....
    Lol they already limit resolution of youtube on the 3G network. I mean Youtube is already low res but they need to make it even more low res(looks like crap). So it's hard to believe they will let you stream hi def vids even if the cellphone companies update their speeds. Let's just hope. If this happens it will be amazing. Damn technology is crazy.
    Last edited by M4tt Dam0n; 04-20-2009 at 07:52 PM.

your kinda wrong, iphone is the superior model, the ipod touch is more off a spin off for people that dont want the phone in iphone (which makes it useless, to me at least: internet, anywhere!) Apple always concentraits on iphone because its the original model, hell they make you pay for converting the free iphone updates.

Lol they already limit resolution of youtube on the 3G network. I mean Youtube is already low res but they need to make it even more low res(looks like crap). So it's hard to believe they will let you stream hi def vids even if the cellphone companies update their speeds. Let's just hope. If this happens it will be amazing. Damn technology is crazy.
    Actually it wont go through ATT, your at home, at home you have wifi, wifi fast. And even it is through ATT there upgrading to 4G this year.
    Last edited by alek; 04-20-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yeah agreed. Maybe when/if Apple makes bigger iPhone/iPod Touch storage capacity's this will come in more handy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    ...and you to spend the money you could save by just watching Hulu.
    lmao, true?

Quote Originally Posted by alek View Post
    your kinda wrong, iphone is the superior model, the ipod touch is more off a spin off for people that dont want the phone in iphone (which makes it useless, to me at least: internet, anywhere!) Apple always concentraits on iphone because its the original model, hell they make you pay for converting the free iphone updates.
    You do know that right now the Touch is the superior faster model, right? Not by much, but Apple has already very clearly showed that the touch and the iPhone and two different devices. The touch has a faster processor and double the memory of the iPhone while at the same time managing to be THINNER. The iPhone on the other hand has 3G and A-GPS.

The problem (which Apple clearly sees and is why the touch exists) is that not everyone wants the iPhone for the phone. As it stands, the touch is an excellent media device with good memory, huge screen and, just like the phone, access to the App Store. It basically gives the consumer what they want, the benefits of the iPhone without the AT&T contract at the expense of not being able to make calls or have 3G data.

The whole "just have ONE really good item" mentality is absolutely idiotic. The only way to please someone with just one item is by making it obnoxiously expensive (remember the iPhone is sold at a subsidized cost and it actually costs 599-699). So you take a look and your consumer base and cater to various needs. The touch will continue to grow as an excellent multimedia device and phone will get most of the features the touch has with the added benefit of being a phone.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

This has nothing to do with AT&T. Upload speeds of ISP's are not good enough in enough places to even be able to stream movies, let alone HD content. This would purely be to bridge media from your iTunes library from a computer on your network (and fingers crossed a airport base with usb HDD / time machine).

The whole differentiating between the touch and the iPhone thing - we will see in June when they release newer models of each. If the touch is still a higher performing model then your right, but i think they are going to sit in line once again. it is just easier for Apple to release updates to the touch without uproar (no contracts)

The only people i know with touches got one because they are already locked into a mobile phone contract of some description, not because the touch was a higher spec'd model.

Suck it up, Sucker

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I sure wouldn't. I stream from my PC to my PS3. Higher output (full 1080p) and I don't have to go connecting things as they are already connected to my wireless network. Plus if they did do this it would most likely be limited to the videos that you have on itunes. No thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by sn0ws View Post
    sounds like a dream to me for the next iphone... I don't think it will be here for awhile. The 3.0 doesn't show any hints of this does it? and it seems like it would drain your battery before you even finished one hd movie, I mean thats alot of bandwidth and processing for such a tiny platform...
    If it had this feature I am sure they would sell some sort of based so that it charges while streaming the video. That wouldn;t be hard to do at all.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-21-2009 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

no thanks, and i dont see it happening

Thanks

maybe not everyone has a ps3 or xbox 360 or an apple tv or a computer hooked up to their TV?

maybe some people rely on bog standard dvd players attached to their TV ....... imagine how much easier it would be for that SMALL population to download movies from itunes and play them on their TV rather than buying/renting the DVD and playing it in their DVD player?

It doesnt matter what way you look at this, its a winner. So far the only real reason that this is not a winner is because it won't have 1080p playback.

And with the jailbreak/cydia you really think we are only going to be limited to your iTunes library if this rumour is real? lol

Suck it up, Sucker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast