+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: AT&T FamilyMap for Spying on Wife/Kids

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It called the Patriot Act. The government can do what they want!
...
  1. #21
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts

    It called the Patriot Act. The government can do what they want!

  2. #22
    "The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    434
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by illinijeff217 View Post
    It called the Patriot Act. The government can do what they want!


    What he said.

    Hell, if nothing else, the feature helps parents track their kids. That I could see as a benefit, especially with teenagers. Yes, we could sit here and argue all day about the pros/cons of the service. If you don't want it, don't get it.

    But the bottom line, our privacy was taken away from us since the day we signed up for a cell phone.

  3. #23
    Green Apple 12jmartinez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    i agree

  4. #24
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    Agreed....

    But the matter in discussion here is not the service itself....its what it implies, this is just the beginning a "doorway" if you will for future services like this that will, undoubtedly violate our privacy...

    Maybe yall dont see this as far as i do, but to me this is the beginning of something that could end up really really bad, specially with the PATRIOT ACT still standing, look it up, specifically Title II "Enhanced Surveillance Procedures" that covers all aspects of the surveillance of suspected terrorists, those suspected of engaging in computer fraud or abusefrom both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens....(abuse?, define abuse.....jailbreaking is considered abuse of the iphone OS by apple)does this enable anyone to keep me under surveilance?. its not just about the service, sure, i don't like it so all i have to do is NOT TO BUY the service, but its not so simple, what bothers me is that companies actually CAN trace any phone with GPS (e.g. iPhone) so if they want to trace you, they can, wether you like it or not. to me that's just scary. This is the early stages of, plain and simple. the end of all things secret.

    P.s: i hate blackberry
    No offense to mallenass but I too can see his point, although I find it funny that he makes these comments yet he resides in the Dominican Republic. So I'm to assume a totally different service carrier and not under US rules/laws. Not to mention they are able to trace every phone that's out there but only with just cause. I for one do not think that having a jailbroken phone is enough cause for some cop to come knocking on my door or all of the entire jailbroken community for that matter(besides it's just gps it's not a filescan).

  5. #25
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 115 Times in 78 Posts

    You guys shouldn't be worrying. It will most likely be only to "spy"/track only the phone numbers on YOUR acct. Spying on someone elses acct. is ILLEGAL.

    If you guys (grown married men and women) are worrying then that shows in itself. I see men using it more than women though.

    SPRINT came out with the feature YEARS ago. I forget what they called it but it's the SAME THING only difference was that if the person strayed from a course it would text the parent saying they didn't arrive at the destination. You could log in and view their location on a map. I believe it worked off cellular towers. I can't put a finger on it but it's been like 5 years since I worked at Radioshack.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

  6. #26
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    815
    Thanks
    417
    Thanked 108 Times in 80 Posts

    People are gettin mad because if U can do it,
    THEY can do it

    Meaning the government

    Just cause u CAN do something, doesnt mean u should

  7. #27
    iPhone? More like MyPhone cory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 27 Times in 12 Posts

    did you really think gps was a one way street? Tracking is nothing new. all att did was bring it to the public for a price. Remember so many years ago the enhanced 911 location was added to all cell phones. all this is doing is letting the account holder see where their property is. This could be a very useful tool is location a child who has been abducted without all the red tape the police dept. would have to go through. The service has many wonderful uses, and as we have all seen throughout the course of our entire history is that people will find a way to do what they want with things (jailbreaking). If you think that this is in some way enabling you to be spied on then I ask what do you have to hide. hell let someone track me all day. They would be bored off their a** by my life. I conduct myself as a self respecting American and if I'm doing something that would hurt this country or anyone in it I feel I deserve what I get. I have nothing to hide, so please, by all means spend your money and spy on me. You'll get to be as bored as I am with my life.

  8. #28
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,168
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 878 Times in 797 Posts

    U just feel sorry for anyone who feels the need to spy on someone else
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  9. #29
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kagehito54 View Post
    No offense to mallenass but I too can see his point, although I find it funny that he makes these comments yet he resides in the Dominican Republic. So I'm to assume a totally different service carrier and not under US rules/laws.

    Ya' caught me....i do reside in the D.R(i bet some of you havent even heard of the place ) and here we dont heven have gps services ...not even google maps(i know, so sad, but true )....but this dosent alter the fact that i find it very, very disturbing...and i know than one day...maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day these type of "advances" will bite us all in the rear end

    Peace

  10. #30
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I know where Domenican Republic is. I went there for vacation and I had to leve the seccond day because I caught a virus. I kept on puking for the next six months. :-(
    Anyways, I just don't like ppl spying on me. I don't want my GF to know where I'm at the whole time. Seccond, if you need to hide just turn off gps and turn off 3g. It will only show the area by cellphone tower. As of GPS if you call 911 they will know exactly where you at. Which is pretty cool. Also, if someone kills another and he has the phone on him police will find out who it is right away because they keep track of the cell phones positioning nowdays. Kinda neet. Services like this have been requested for many years. Privacy really is not touched when you r not guilty. LOL if your girl trust u than she will not pay $10 for this service.

    By the way mine doesn't when this service comes up in Canada my gf will be first on the line. LMAO

    But I pay the bill!!! Make sure u pay the bill!!! LOL
    Last edited by endrit; 04-17-2009 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  11. #31
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I really doubt that this uses the phone's GPS. It will only use the cellphone tower localisation system (which is already pretty accurate)

    I'm also not agaisnt governement knowing where I am, 911 knowing where I am too ... But just against individuals spying on each other with or without them knowing (ok you have to own the line,that goes without saying but also don't prevent abuse ...
    I've seen some guys asking for a dual sim so they could monitor their wife's sms. This is even worse. Ok, people using that should be blamed, not the provider, but if we start doing everything just because "people using it are to blame", things are going to get worse ... If you want to see where somebody is, just use volountary services like google latitude (or an equivalent iphone app)

  12. #32
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream_Team View Post
    Showing parents where their kids are without letting them know is spying.
    Spying won't replace education, and the kids will end up turning off their phone, or just "forget" it at a friend's place ...
    Sorry, I guess knowing where someone is wouldn't be considered spying in my book. Actually watching them while hiding in the bushes (or something similar) would be spy in my opinion. No it won't replace education, but if you think that the only kids that get into trouble and bad situations are the "uneducated" ones you are sorely mistaken. If the kid doesn't know about this device, I doubt they will end up turning it off. Have you seen kids these days? My friend's little sister texts over 1500 messages a month. Texting is an art form to them...

    If you are a minor (under 18) your parents have EVERY RIGHT to know where you are at all times. They are liable for you. Basically, if they want such a feature you have NO RIGHT to even try and stop them. Adults, this is another story. If you are REALLY worried, demand to have access to everything involving the contract. If the primary owner doesn;t allow this access and you use a line as part of that contract, there is reason to be suspicious.

    Also to everyone that is upset, if you are not doing anything wrong that you feel the need to hide, then why make such a stink about such a service? It's clearly there as a safety feature. Sure it can be abused, but so can guns. Last I checked knowing where someone is on a map didn't have the direct capacity to kill them.

    Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    what bothers me is that companies actually CAN trace any phone with GPS (e.g. iPhone) so if they want to trace you, they can, wether you like it or not. to me that's just scary. This is the early stages of, plain and simple. the end of all things secret.
    Traces like this have been going on a LOOOONG time, I am willing to bet longer than you have been alive. This is nothing new, really... Hell, such a service isn't even knew. Disney mobile has been using it for years!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-17-2009 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  13. #33
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,168
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 878 Times in 797 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    If you are a minor (under 18) your parents have EVERY RIGHT to know where you are at all times.
    That, I think is where we disagree.

    If my parents knew where I was when I was younger I think they would have died of fright! But I turned out OK.

    I trust my kids as I was trusted, if they make mistakes they will learn from them as I learned from my mistakes.

    I do not believe I have a right to spy on my kids.

    But then things may be different hear than where you are.

    PS - that is not to say I don't have a DUTY to look after my kids.
    Last edited by confucious; 04-17-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  14. #34
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    153
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    I see nothing wrong with the service, especially if your intentions are to keep track of your children. It's just another service offered through ATT and you control the option of wether you want it or not.

  15. #35
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    That, I think is where we disagree.

    If my parents knew where I was when I was younger I think they would have died of fright! But I turned out OK.

    I trust my kids as I was trusted, if they make mistakes they will learn from them as I learned from my mistakes.

    I do not believe I have a right to spy on my kids.

    But then things may be different hear than where you are.

    PS - that is not to say I don't have a DUTY to look after my kids.
    Agree or not it is the law in the US man, which basically means it matters not what you are I think think of the matter. Again, the fundamental issue is the word spying. I am 23, have no kids, and probably wouldn't use this ever. That being said, simply knowing where somebody is TO ME still is not spying. Also, you may have it better off than some people do with your kids. For example, my girflriends family is highly religious and teach their kids only the best. Two of the girls (my gf included) turned out great. The one, on the other hand, has abused plenty of illegal substances and got herself pregnant at the age of 16. People need to look OUTSIDE their lives and realize circumstances are different for different people. In the case of my girlfriend's sister, it was BECAUSE she was trusted that she got herself in to trouble. You say you trust your kids and they get along well. Awesome, I am honestly happy for you. This service was no meant for you then and it won;t effect you in the slightest.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  16. #36
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,168
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 878 Times in 797 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Agree or not it is the law in the US man,
    Yet another reason to re-enforce my view that I never want to visit your great country.

    If you guys are happy with it, who am I to criticize?

    Have fun
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  17. #37
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Yet another reason to re-enforce my view that I never want to visit your great country.

    If you guys are happy with it, who am I to criticize?

    Have fun
    You don't want to visit the country because parents are allowed to see where their children are on a map using their cell phones without violating any laws? How exactly would the ability to legally do this effect your stay here in any way? And no reason for the rude sarcasm about the "great country" bit. That is unnecessary.

    Back on topic, I believe it would be ignorant for anyone to claim that such a service would have no utility in any situation. Likewise it would be ignorant for me to say that this isn't an invasion of privacy (allbeit small in my opinion).
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-18-2009 at 05:17 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  18. #38
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,168
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 878 Times in 797 Posts

    Like I said, just another reason that enforces my view that in America you have no freedoms. I do not wish to have my fingerprints held on file (in the UK only criminals do) so would not get a Visa.
    The way you shackle people before they are found guilty of anything (eg the NatWest 3), Guantanamo bay, etc all go to show that you have different morals to us. The way you think torture is OK etc.

    I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, just I have no wish to experience your 'culture' first hand.

    I'm sure there are many things you don't like about England, whether you chose to visit is up to you, just as it's up to me to chose not to visit the USA.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  19. #39
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Like I said, just another reason that enforces my view that in America you have no freedoms. I do not wish to have my fingerprints held on file (in the UK only criminals do) so would not get a Visa.
    The way you shackle people before they are found guilty of anything (eg the NatWest 3), Guantanamo bay, etc all go to show that you have different morals to us. The way you think torture is OK etc.

    I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, just I have no wish to experience your 'culture' first hand.

    I'm sure there are many things you don't like about England, whether you chose to visit is up to you, just as it's up to me to chose not to visit the USA.
    First of all, I am not sure what you are referring to about fingerprints. Mine are not on file anywhere. If you are referring to coming into the country, many people immigrate here and I guess it is a precaution probably set in place due to a few 'dishonest people ruinging it for the rest of us' Do I think it necessary? No...
    EDIT: On the US visa site, it clearly states that citizens of the UK can travel to the US for up to a 90 day stay without a required Visa. Not that it makes a difference, but I was curious and found the info, so I decided to share.

    I also do not agree with torturing people, nor do I think the government does. Just because things have happened in the past doesn't mean it is fair to say "we" believe in them or that they are right.

    To be quit honest I have no problem with England whatsoever. I would love to come visit someday, along with plenty of other countries.

    In any case this back and forth is pointless. Agree to disagree I guess. I am not here to try and talk anyone into anything, was just voicing my opinions.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-18-2009 at 05:34 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  20. #40
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,168
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 878 Times in 797 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    To be quit honest I have no problem with England whatsoever. I would love to come visit someday, along with plenty of other countries.

    In any case this back and forth is pointless. Agree to disagree I guess. I am not here to try and talk anyone into anything, was just voicing my opinions.
    If you do make it to England and find yourself in the Woking area give me a shout and I'll buy you a pint.

    I think you'll find we probably disagree on a lot less than you think!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts