Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Skype Update Includes Jailbreak Warning

  1. #1
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Cody Overcash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    11,896
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

    Default Skype Update Includes Jailbreak Warning


    Skype has updated to version 1.0.2 on the App Store (iTunes link). The update mostly includes basic bug fixes but also includes a very interesting warning. iClarified reader (and jailbreaker) Francois noticed this new little warning when he launched his updated copy of Skype.

    "This version of Skype is only supported on unmodified iPhone OS 2.2"

    While the warning appears to be threatening he was able to continue to use the app normally. The warning is most likely intended to notice jailbreakers that Skype may have incompatibilities with jailbroken apps that do not use MobileSubstrate (you can read all about it in Cydia) and that Skype does not support issues that may arise because of that.

  2. #2
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    If an app can tell if a phone is jailbroken, it seems to me that a simple thing that apple could do to curb jailbreaking is simply to modify the app store application to refuse to download any apps on a device that appears to be jailbroken...

    Most jailbreakers, myself included, still use and rely on app store apps more than the jailbroken apps.

    Come to think of it, they could also modify some of the other apps along those lines. ie: if jailbroken then disable phone dialpad, disable sms, etc...

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Montgomery Village, MD
    Posts
    202
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by davshirley View Post
    If an app can tell if a phone is jailbroken, it seems to me that a simple thing that apple could do to curb jailbreaking is simply to modify the app store application to refuse to download any apps on a device that appears to be jailbroken...

    Most jailbreakers, myself included, still use and rely on app store apps more than the jailbroken apps.

    Come to think of it, they could also modify some of the other apps along those lines. ie: if jailbroken then disable phone dialpad, disable sms, etc...
    That would really suck.
    At least I don't use skype in order to be worried about this.
    I think I should learn about it though. Seems important.

  4. #4
    * adds skype to the blacklist

    i hate when this bull happens, why would they do that.. its not like they are losing revenue by cracking a free app

  5. #5
    So the new version of skype still works with jailbroken iphones or not? Is it safe to update or wait for a newer version of mobile substrate?

  6. #6
    I believe the reason why they put the warning up is because so many people whined about skype not working on their phones (jailbroken phones), thus giving really bad ratings. Consequently, they put the warning up so that the jailbreakers know it is not skype's responsibility or obligation to fix problems caused by jailbreaking their iPhones.

    Oh, and I think that the warning is widespread, meaning it may appear on phones not jailbroken. If it was that easy to detect jailbroken phones, Apple would have "solved" their problem by inhibiting app store apps to work on jailbroken iPhones.

    Just my opinion, of course.

  7. #7
    Im running 3.0 Beta 3 and get the message APP_UNSUPPORTED_OS_ALERT when opening the new Skype, still seems to work fine though. I think its just a general warning to tell you that if something doesnt work its not because of the program its because the program is not supported on the OS you are running and the same with jailbroken phones.
    Last edited by ianhutch1; 04-15-2009 at 12:24 AM.

  8. #8
    skype still works 100 percent even on jb iphone 3gs

    i tested it out and it is fully working

    chatting,making and receiving calls via through edge and my wireless network

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by llescaflownell View Post
    If it was that easy to detect jailbroken phones, Apple would have "solved" their problem by inhibiting app store apps to work on jailbroken iPhones.
    There is no way they would do that, they would be losing revenue.

  10. #10
    well there is a way to track down apps that have been cracked,online ones that is,beejive took steps to block those with pirated copies forcing them to buy the app LOL

    i was one of them but 15 bucks worth it,free while it lasted

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life pacmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,057
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts

    theres always ways around this....

    i dont get it.. its a free app...
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

  12. #12
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Cody Overcash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    11,896
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    * adds skype to the blacklist

    i hate when this bull happens, why would they do that.. its not like they are losing revenue by cracking a free app
    Quote Originally Posted by pacmac View Post
    theres always ways around this....

    i dont get it.. its a free app...
    well

    Quote Originally Posted by MYSELF
    While the warning appears to be threatening he was able to continue to use the app normally. The warning is most likely intended to notice jailbreakers that Skype may have incompatibilities with jailbroken apps that do not use MobileSubstrate (you can read all about it in Cydia) and that Skype does not support issues that may arise because of that.

  13. #13
    Why are u guys crying no offense,but it still works 100 percent as it did before,just a little warning that you only see one time and that's it

  14. #14
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts

    Ive updated and the apps works. For people that are so scared I am saying this now it is a notification! Just a warning!

  15. #15
    What's Jailbreak? drewbix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Canterbury uk
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    anyone know how to get beejive working again???
    Last edited by drewbix; 04-15-2009 at 04:40 AM.

  16. #16
    Edit: broomhead
    Last edited by Broomhead; 04-15-2009 at 05:57 AM.

  17. #17
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by seven77 View Post
    edit: broomhead
    Why are you discussing cracked apps on MMi???

    Besides Beejive will not work for anyone, last time I checked, it was being protected by Beejive servers based on UUID(????) or something like that. So if you haven't bought Beejive, it won't work at all not even older versions. Replacing the iTunesMetadata.plist just messes up the App Store updating process, I heard loads of people were complainging about that issue.

    Ok I just read that replacing the iTunesMetadata.plist will work for only a few people, who barely use Beejive but you will get blacklisted as soon as you start to use Beejive.
    Last edited by Broomhead; 04-15-2009 at 05:57 AM.

    MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to MetallicaFan1991 For This Useful Post:

    seven77 (04-15-2009)

  19. #18
    i was freaked out at first, but it was only a warning, This app doesn't DETECT anything, its just a warning guys.

  20. #19
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 69 Times in 35 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by drewbix View Post
    anyone know how to get beejive working again???
    Beejive is one of the very very few apps that are actually worth the money spent on them, so it makes no sense at all to me to not purchase it

  21. #20
    Yup i got a warning about it being unsupported, I think its just bc I'm on 3.0
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •