View Poll Results: Do you want to see the iPhone on multiple carriers in the US?

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

166 55.52%
  • No

80 26.76%
  • I don't care

53 17.73%
+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Trying to Extend iPhone Exclusivity

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
not happening
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

not happening

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alek View Post
    Not gonna happen, Why the hell would apple leave ATT? And remeber there is no chance of Verizon or Sprint cuz the iphone is gsm not CMDA.
    I can assure you IF needed, they can build a CDMA version.

And Verizon is moving to GSM in the next few years anyways.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If i was Verizon i would pay apple to not extend the contract. Think of the money to be made.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would like to see it on Verizon or Sprint...sometimes people don't get my text

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    I can assure you IF needed, they can build a CDMA version.

And Verizon is moving to GSM in the next few years anyways.
    arent they making a CDMA version for china anyways?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^Nope....not yet. They couldnt come to an agreement.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kagehito54 View Post
    You know this is a rather double edged sword type thing. Because on one hand if more people join the at&t network to get iPhone then they might spend more money because they'll have more money to better their network to meet our needs i.e. 4g. But the competition might also bring us other goodies as well.
    WTF?! Someone always says what I was going to say before I say it! ):<

I don't want Apple to sell iPhones on other carriers. So many people switched to AT&T because of the iPhone and that gave AT&T more money to improve the network. I was with AT&T before the iPhone and I don't plan on switching to another carrier if and when the iPhone is sold on them, so I don't want the iPhone to be sold on them.

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.michell View Post
    If i was Verizon i would pay apple to not extend the contract. Think of the money to be made.
    On top of the money they'd have to pay FOR the iPhone?

The only way Verizon is getting the iPhone is if they offer a better deal than AT&T before a contract renewal. If Apple is making more money by only selling their phones to AT&T, why would they care to sell to another network?

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    It is my understanding that the dropped calls is hardware related and not network related.
    Really? Wish people would stop blaming AT&T. But that sucks that it's Apple's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    That and Apple wanted a larger cut of the monthly contracts than anyone other than ATT was willing to provide. Fact of the matter is I think most people thought the iPhone would be a failure, or at least not be as successful as it is.
    AT&T deserves to be the exclusive carrier. They invested in a phone everyone else thought wouldn't be that great, and now they are getting the benefits of it. Why should AT&T have had to risk losing or not really making much money off the iPhone when it first came out, and then have to share the phone with other carriers when it becomes a hit?

Be happy with your Storm, Verizon!
    Last edited by Channan; 04-15-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^Nope....not yet. They couldnt come to an agreement.
    I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that Apple could not come to agreement with the two W-CDMA carriers in China leaving the other two (which I believe both use CDMA2000) carriers.

It is rather confusing as most people refer to AT&T as GSM and Verizon as CDMA whereas the 3G technology is W-CDMA for AT&T (and most of the rest of the world) and CDMA2000 for Verizon see the wiki article on [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umts"]UMTS[/ame] for clarification.

This means that if Apple are in talks with one of the remaining two Chinese carriers it would be on CDMA2000 which is what Verizon use.

Unless, of course, i've got it totally wrong
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think we should all rise as one and say enough is enough. AT&T should go and we should all enjoy better service, better coverage, better 3G, no interference, no restrictions if we feel like it.
    Also i would just love to see a big blow delivered to AT&T for their past and current arrogant business practices due to the exclusivity.
    Come on Steve let us have a choice. Say no to AT&T!!

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm happy with AT&T so I could care less :P

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    WTF?! Someone always says what I was going to say before I say it! ):<

I don't want Apple to sell iPhones on other carriers. So many people switched to AT&T because of the iPhone and that gave AT&T more money to improve the network. I was with AT&T before the iPhone and I don't plan on switching to another carrier if and when the iPhone is sold on them, so I don't want the iPhone to be sold on them.

On top of the money they'd have to pay FOR the iPhone?

The only way Verizon is getting the iPhone is if they offer a better deal than AT&T before a contract renewal. If Apple is making more money by only selling their phones to AT&T, why would they care to sell to another network?

Really? Wish people would stop blaming AT&T. But that sucks that it's Apple's fault.

AT&T deserves to be the exclusive carrier. They invested in a phone everyone else thought wouldn't be that great, and now they are getting the benefits of it. Why should AT&T have had to risk losing or not really making much money off the iPhone when it first came out, and then have to share the phone with other carriers when it becomes a hit?

Be happy with your Storm, Verizon!

Why would you care?? Are you the owner or CEO of AT&T? They did nothing but restricted all of us by not allowing all the features of the iPhone to be available for users.
    They are taking money out of your pocket based on false promises and providing second rate service and coverage. It's a joke that this is possible in an open market economy that a carrier blackmails customers and the manufacturer of the device.
    AT&T is the black sheep and the evil of the cell phone market.I hope they lose the exclusivity.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alek View Post
    Not gonna happen, Why the hell would apple leave ATT? And remeber there is no chance of Verizon or Sprint cuz the iphone is gsm not CMDA.
    (1) - Because SPRINT just announced the 4G network is ready and going online.

(2) - No, you mean no PREVIOUS iPhone has been GSM. We already know what the past has been. New iPhone in June.......
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    (2) - No, you mean no PREVIOUS iPhone has been GSM.
    And there was me thinking the iPhones were GSM......
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    (2) - No, you mean no PREVIOUS iPhone has been GSM. We already know what the past has been. New iPhone in June.......
    Regardless of whether they get the extension or not, AT&T safely has the iPhone for THREE more years. You will simply not see a non-GSM version in the states until then. The only place in the world where the possibility of a CMDA variation exists is China.

A Sprint/CMDA iPhone here is simply not going to happen this June and won't until 2012. There's absolutely no way around this.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

The whole point of this thread is that many people believe there is a 'get out' clause for Apple believed to be 2 years into the 5 year deal (ie this June) whereby Apple can break the exclusivity agreement with AT&T (in the USA) or O2 (in the UK) and presumably others if certain targets have not been met. No one, apart from the parties involved, know what the targets are or if they have been met.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I hope they don't get the exclusive rights. Competition is what makes products and companies reach their full potential (and disables them from controlling the masses).

Thanks

Which is why there is no competition in the USA - just different carriers on completely different standards.
    At least in Europe everyone uses the same standards which is why prices are so much cheaper!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rolandgabor View Post
    Why would you care??
    Because I'm happy with AT&T's service.

Are you the owner or CEO of AT&T?
    Oh sh*t, you caught me.

They did nothing but restricted all of us by not allowing all the features of the iPhone to be available for users.
    I don't know about you, but I can use ALL the features of the iPhone and have been able to since the second I got it.

And last time I checked, it was Apple limiting most of the features the iPhone could have. It's not AT&T that prevented us from having MMS, A2DP, copy & paste, etc. as none of these features were available on other networks in other countries.

They are taking money out of your pocket based on false promises and providing second rate service and coverage.
    Actually, I choose to pay them. They wouldn't get away with stealing. And I'm not sure what you mean by "false promises". AT&T hasn't promised me anything that I don't have.

And on the topic of coverage, it's like that for every carrier. Just because Verizon, Sprint, or T-Mobile has better coverage than AT&T in YOUR area doesn't mean it's better than AT&T everywhere. AT&T's coverage and speed has never been an issue for me, and that's all that matters. This poll asked if we think AT&T should keep exclusivity and since I don't have any problems with them, I think so. I really don't care if you're not happy with the service you get because it doesn't affect me at all.

It's a joke that this is possible in an open market economy that a carrier blackmails customers and the manufacturer of the device.
    Please explain to me how AT&T is blackmailing us. :/ And AT&T has no control over Apple. Apple can choose to say no if they want and sell iPhones on any network once the contract ends.

AT&T is the black sheep and the evil of the cell phone market.I hope they lose the exclusivity.
    Evil? They invested in a product others thought would fail and they're receiving the benefits from it. If you invest in a new company that winds up doing extremely well later on, why should you have to share your wealth with someone that didn't because they thought it would fail?
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.