View Poll Results: Do you want to see the iPhone on multiple carriers in the US?

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

166 55.52%
  • No

80 26.76%
  • I don't care

53 17.73%
+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Trying to Extend iPhone Exclusivity

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
At this point since I'm already an AT&T customer it doesn't matter. All of the cellular companies in the USA have different pros/cons but I'll probably go wherever the iphone
    Thanks

At this point since I'm already an AT&T customer it doesn't matter. All of the cellular companies in the USA have different pros/cons but I'll probably go wherever the iphone is.lol I REALLY love this phone. I haven't looked at another phone seriously since I've owned it.lol

Thanks

At the moment there is one iPhone sold worldwide.
    Although there is a rumour of a CDMA phone for the Chinese market I so not think it has any legs and the market for CDMA phones is very limited. It's not impossible but for the iPhone to be available on either verizon or T-Mobile (who use a different 3G frequency so less change but still different hardware)would involve hardware changes which reduce the economies of scale.

If Apple are happy with AT&T it's not as easy as just saying others can sell it.

Unlike in the rest of the world (or most of it) where there are alternative carriers but Apple still has exclusive contracts.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I like ATT service, but I personally hate all the abilities that are being purposely omitted from us, like ATT's mobile tv, MMS and all the other pay for features that we just can't have.

This alone makes me me want to use the iphone on another carrier that will allow me to use these services but after 9 years with ATT its hard to start with another company, and if they want a deposit that sucks.

I want TV on my iphone and i'm willing to pay for it. Please don't tell me about Orb or slingbox as neither work well enough over 3G. I don't like watching choppy bad framerate television.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike1114 View Post
    I like ATT service, but I personally hate all the abilities that are being purposely omitted from us, like ATT's mobile tv, MMS and all the other pay for features that we just can't have.

This alone makes me me want to use the iphone on another carrier that will allow me to use these services but after 9 years with ATT its hard to start with another company, and if they want a deposit that sucks.

I want TV on my iphone and i'm willing to pay for it. Please don't tell me about Orb or slingbox as neither work well enough over 3G. I don't like watching choppy bad framerate television.

Maybe they'll free somethings up in the near future, especially with the release of alternative iphones. As long as they don't become any more expensive I'm ok with it. I would like more for my buck though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i think that if apple could/did put the iphone on other networks it would give us ATT people better rates, and much more for the dollar. However the reason apple DIDNT go with other carriers before (duno if it was mmi or not) was because the other carriers wanted a hand in the devlopment of the OS and partialy in the phone itself. IE sprint wanted something different than what verizon got and they all wanted to do somthing to GUI so people would be opionionated about certain phones and perhaps choose X over Y. Apple said Eff that and att was the only one willing to let apple do what they do, wich IMHO is probably why there was no MMS and ****...apple had never made a phone..they dont know wtf they are doing...they just wanted to make a ballin mp3/video playing/phone like they did with the ipod. It wasnt new some argue it isnt better, but it IS easy to use. so as far as open iphone up sure...if its possible it will only be good for the consumer..however it realy will make the iphone less exlcusive so thats a bummer BUT HEY NVIDIA PHONE EVERYBODY scope that on youtube

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    CDMA = No GSM buzz... and that would make me very happy.
    Does CDMA have any kind of buzz? I've never used a non GSM phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone r1994augusto's Avatar
    Thanks

selfish?

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

probably AT&T will be the only one. the apple stores would have to have deal with multiple vendors if they open up to other carriers. that would not be easy.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You know this is a rather double edged sword type thing. Because on one hand if more people join the at&t network to get iPhone then they might spend more money because they'll have more money to better their network to meet our needs i.e. 4g. But the competition might also bring us other goodies as well.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T may have to pay dearly to retain iPhone exclusively

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    CDMA = No GSM buzz... and that would make me very happy.
    When you're in 3G mode, no buzz. But yeah, when it flip flops back to EDGE then you get the lame buzz around cheap clock radios etc. (sucks)
    Last edited by JazJon; 04-15-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

ok...i coulda sworn when ATT signed wit apple or whatever, dat it was a 5 year deal!!! i swear i read and heard dat everywhere...they should have it till 2012...wtf? im so confused...wtf is goin on? lmao

Green Apple
    Thanks

I would like to see the iPhone on a CDMA carrier and although GSM is the worldwide standard. Stateside CDMA is king, it has way better coverage and signal in more places. I like AT&T and GSM for the easy of changing phones but coverage with both sprint and verizon in my experience has been better. Although I would sorely miss simultaneous data and voice, I would probably go CDMA if the option was open.
    Last edited by gladesmellzgood; 04-15-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Correction to post

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Was just reading this and would love to see the iphone on other carriers.... it would be great to be able to choose..... when I was with Verizon at my home I always had three to four bars and never got dropped calls... with att..... I get dropped calls in my computer room and in my kennel......

I think Apple would be smart if they offered the phone on all carriers..... maybe the rates would go down a bit because of the competition.....

Who knows..... I am not going to say that att sucks..... but would like to try the phone with Verizon.... but Verizon and or any carrier would have to accept Apples conditions...
    It is my understanding that the dropped calls is hardware related and not network related.

Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    I would like to see the iPhone on a CDMA carrier and although GSM is the worldwide standard. Stateside CDMA is king, it has way better coverage and signal in more places. I like AT&T and GSM for the easy of changing phones but coverage with both sprint and verizon in my experience has been better. Although I would sorely miss simultaneous data and voice, I would probably go CDMA if the option was open.
    Verizon is making the switch over to GSM within the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonAn View Post
    If you we go to a different carrier you can get a better data and more text for your money. I have 2 account one with AT&T/Sprint I have the same data/text plan on 2 phone on a 3G Network on the iPhone/Window Mobile 6 and both are almost the same speed on the 3G network but I get unlimited text on Sprint for the same data plan I pay for the iPhone that is F-Up.
    You are making a huge assumption here. You assume other carriers will make the iphone data plan cheaper than ATT. Chances are they won't. The storm data plan on verizon is pretty comparable to the ATT iphone plan.

Quote Originally Posted by silent revolt View Post
    i think that if apple could/did put the iphone on other networks it would give us ATT people better rates, and much more for the dollar. However the reason apple DIDNT go with other carriers before (duno if it was mmi or not) was because the other carriers wanted a hand in the devlopment of the OS and partialy in the phone itself.
    That and Apple wanted a larger cut of the monthly contracts than anyone other than ATT was willing to provide. Fact of the matter is I think most people thought the iPhone would be a failure, or at least not be as successful as it is.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-15-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post

Verizon is making the switch over to GSM within the next few years.
    Woah! is it? First I've heard of this - any info, sources?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Je5
    Thanks

I have an uncle high up in AT&T and they are working on getting the 4G up soon and they will have the iPhone exclusively for 5 years so that puts it till 2012 sorry for everyone adding to the rumor mill its soo funny how things get started...
    Dont be that guy..!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Je5 View Post
    I have an uncle high up in AT&T and they are working on getting the 4G up soon and they will have the iPhone exclusively for 5 years so that puts it till 2012 sorry for everyone adding to the rumor mill its soo funny how things get started...
    You mean the same as the one with O2 in the UK? With the get out clause which they might just invoke?
    I doubt it, but you never know!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The iphone should be with companies it would be great if they came out for tmobile

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Preyslayer View Post
    The iphone should be with companies it would be great if they came out for tmobile
    So you can use it on Edge?

iPhone? More like MyPhone elsgk2's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like for ATT to keep it. I'm on a different carrier and I have been fascinated by everything that has resulted because of it.

Modmyi.com has been my online playground and I'm proud to be part of this community. I'ma green apple but i really feel that my iphone is really my third arm.

I'm wondering what would modmyi.com be like if the iphone was made available for all carriers?
    *T*Mo**

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Not gonna happen, Why the hell would apple leave ATT? And remeber there is no chance of Verizon or Sprint cuz the iphone is gsm not CMDA.