Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked 16GB iPhones $799 via Buy.com

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

Default Unlocked 16GB iPhones $799 via Buy.com

Don't want to worry about an iPhone 3g ever being locked? $799 with a full Apple warranty on Buy.com. Nothing much more to say about it except if you don't have an iPhone already you should wait -- new iPhone in June The description on Buy.com:

Apple iPhones have typically been locked to only use on the AT&T network, so they are not capable of being used on other GSM carriers such as T-Mobile or for overseas travel.
    Hackers were able to break the software to use the iPhone on carriers other than AT&T, but any connection to iTunes or any software updates provided by Apple lock the iPhone and render it useless.

Now the iPhone is available without any locks or restrictions to any GSM carrier.

Also, the Apple guarantee is valid for all never-locked iPhones.

You are now able to:

- Connect the iPhone to iTunes
    - Update the iPhone software when the updates are available from Apple
    - Purchase apps from the iTunes library or the Apps store on the iPhone
    - Use AT&T or T-Mobile in the USA Or one of the 30 different GSM carriers all over the US.
    - Use with any GSM carriers globally Introducing iPhone 3G. With fast 3G wireless technology, GPS mapping, support for enterprise features like Microsoft Exchange, and the new App Store, iPhone 3G puts even more features at your fingertips. And like the original iPhone, it combines three products in one a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device with rich HTML email and a desktop-class web browser. iPhone 3G. It redefines what a mobile phone can do again.

That would be cool if i hadnt switched to att lol

Someone tell us your experience if you happen to buy this "deal". Definitely a new iPhone on the way when this happens. What's next Apple? Slashing prices???

Wow, that is a very hefty price wouldn’t it be cheaper to get a contract and cancel..

It would, but you still wouldn't have an unlocked phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dman112's Avatar
    Thanks

Musad i think your right it would be cheaper.Buy.com has the upper hand on this deal.The link below tells you how to get the iphone with out a contract it may take a little more time but it a savings of $300 or more
    How To: Get an iPhone 3G for $199… Without Contract! (Updated) | PhoneNews.com

This would have probably been a good idea a couple months ago. But with the new hardware coming out I don't really see the point. Also I think the point Musad is trying to point out is that would be the cheper route if you're going to switch carriers you no longer need the unlock so who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by kagehito54 View Post
    Also I think the point Musad is trying to point out is that would be the cheper route if you're going to switch carriers you no longer need the unlock so who cares.
    I'm trying to follow your logic here and can't. If you want an iPhone and plan on switching carriers, then you need an unlock. There is no unlock for the new baseband. Sure you could buy a craigslist or ebay special on 2.2.1/02.28.
    Last edited by exNavy; 04-13-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Oh sorry for the confusion I meant if you're going to be switching over to AT&T and staying there you wouldn't need the unlock. Personally I've had AT&T for 6 months now and the coverage is great and have had no problems with data connection or anything. Although of course I'm sure things are different elsewhere.

I don't get how you'd be able to update via iTunes, unless it's unlocked in a way that doesn't involve jailbreaking?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^Its unlocked by Apple, officially.

Thumbs up Dubai
    in dubai unlocked iphone is 740$ dubaiatqbhtdotcom

Default out
    they are sold out already

Hackers were able to break the software to use the iPhone on carriers other than AT&T, but any connection to iTunes or any software updates provided by Apple lock the iPhone and render it useless.
    Any connection to iTunes? What a load of rubbish! Software updates, yes, but just connecting to iTunes to synch and by apps is fine on unlocked phones.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

why would apple let them sell it unlocked?

Grey imports?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

I thought it was cheaper at the Apple Store. Last time I checked they were selling it for $699.

Thanks

^That's locked.

And confucious, they say any connection to iTunes will disable an unofficial unlock because I'm sure they don't want to explain it all and Apple doesn't want it to be talked about any more than it has to...
    Respect your elders.