+ Reply
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pwnage - Custom Modded Firmware through iTunes

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by kstewart71 Heythis might be a dumb question...but if I understand this allows for custom firmware?? So could you, in theory, load a different operating system(example: Windows) if
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kstewart71 View Post
    Heythis might be a dumb question...but if I understand this allows for custom firmware?? So could you, in theory, load a different operating system(example: Windows) if someone had the time to invest into making it
    Why would you want to install Windows? Had it on 3 different phones and all had problems. The biggest problem I had with Windows was crashing and locking up for no reason. Apple mini OS X is much better.

Green Apple
    Thanks

yo so what i dont get is cant apple, when 2.0 or 1.2 whatever you want to call it comes out, just make that little exploit in the lower levels of the bootloader fixed so that this doesnt work anymore? i mean apple will lock us out again? or is this one unstoppable?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Not that I necessarily want Windows (Though the ability use WindowsMobile apps would be kinda cool)....but a different OS other than the one it's using...Just a general question. By the way I have always had Windows Phones and have never had one single issue with the software, just the hardware.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DirtyDan's Avatar
    Thanks

This will be very awesome!

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    why is everyone so hype over this? what extra things will this bring us that we cant do already? jailbreaking+unlocking an iphone is hardly time consuming, and we can already make and install our own 3rd party apps. i might be missing something? what is the hype?
    Oh no, you're iPhone breaks or something happens. You can:

1- Restore
    2- Jailbreak/Unlock
    3- Re-install apps

or

1- Restore using a custom firmware pre-unlock, pre-jailbroken, and with a selection of choice apps you want on your phone.

Now choose.

Thanks

Wink Argh
    I really really hope this is released like tomorrow or even today...

I keep checking ModMyI like every 5 mins to see if it says "Pwned Released" but no...

Waiting...

Want some help PM me and ill answer it asap

iPhone? More like MyPhone dlubbat's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL same here I can not wait until this is released. I am guessing it will be released on Monday or Tuesday

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

poop

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default use your search bar
    Quote Originally Posted by atorres062 View Post
    I never heard of iPwn, is this another way of jailbreaking? can someone explain?
    not to be mean...but reading is FUN-DA-MENTAL!

Quote Originally Posted by kstewart71 View Post
    By the way I have always had Windows Phones and have never had one single issue with the software, just the hardware.
    you must be the only person in the world who can say that...God is definitely on your side.
    Last edited by Mann22; 03-10-2008 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

This still dosen't explain how they can change the boot logo? or did i miss something?

Thanks

I'm curious if you will be able to save your phone modded in its current state (like right now my phone is on 1.1.4 fully macked out and loaded with apps, themes, fixes, etc...) or start from scratch with a new stock firmware and customize it to where you are now and then save that one. Sure would be nice to extract an already customized firmware from the phone. Or is that even possible?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whodatfan View Post
    I'm curious if you will be able to save your phone modded in its current state (like right now my phone is on 1.1.4 fully macked out and loaded with apps, themes, fixes, etc...) or start from scratch with a new stock firmware and customize it to where you are now and then save that one. Sure would be nice to extract an already customized firmware from the phone. Or is that even possible?
    That's the significance of this feature It will make things a lot easier. Simply plug it w/ itunes .. shift click to the .ispw and you will upgrade to the latest version with your current jailbroken state.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Green Apple
    Thanks

might we get to the stage where we wouldnt need itunes?
    The reason I ask is I wonder if itunes may stop us being able to shift click?
    Apologies if that is a laughably stupid question

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    That's the significance of this feature It will make things a lot easier. Simply plug it w/ itunes .. shift click to the .ispw and you will upgrade to the latest version with your current jailbroken state.
    Ok, question. If this is true, will you still have all your contacts/apps/etc and just the latest firmware will be added. I have a 1.1.2 jailbroken phone that I dont want to upgrade because i dont need the google map thingy and damn it, i just love my phone the way it is without having to relearn/redo any thing. So, will everything I have done to my phone stay the same except for the firmware ( and I assume the bootloader will also remain the same??). If this is true, damn I cant wait!!!
    Last edited by ninthchamber99; 03-10-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Question when is this coming out??
    when is this coming out?? do u know exact dates? let me know. Thanks
    iPhonehacker123- please thank me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ninthchamber99 View Post
    Ok, question. If this is true, will you still have all your contacts/apps/etc and just the latest firmware will be added. I have a 1.1.2 jailbroken phone that I dont want to upgrade because i dont need the google map thingy and damn it, i just love my phone the way it is without having to relearn/redo any thing. So, will everything I have done to my phone stay the same except for the firmware ( and I assume the bootloader will also remain the same??). If this is true, damn I cant wait!!!
    Exactly. And judging by the response rate i'm anticipating there will be many of us in these forums who will post there own .ispw creations and have them available for the public. For example if you want to have a full 1.1.4 version with OpenSSH, BSD Subsystem, CameraPro & iSnake preinstalled without going on installer you can do so.

Quote Originally Posted by iphonehacker123 View Post
    when is this coming out?? do u know exact dates? let me know. Thanks
    no dates are known as of yet. We are hoping by EOW.

Quote Originally Posted by llol_slim View Post
    might we get to the stage where we wouldnt need itunes?
    The reason I ask is I wonder if itunes may stop us being able to shift click?
    Apologies if that is a laughably stupid question
    There are always ways to get around shift clicking
    Last edited by zinjen; 03-10-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by likwidfuzion View Post
    The most valuable thing I see out of this Pwnage method is the fact that I can possibly create an .ipsw ghost image of my iPhone. That way when I need to restore, I don't have to reinstall or sync my entire iTunes backup again. That would be a HUGE time saver.
    I hear ya on that. I hate having to reinstall programs and everything and the music takes forever!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

Zinjen, Its nice to think that there will be lots of people posting their own pre modded .ipsw files on modmyi.com but as its been stated earlier in this thread that its illegal for modmyi.com to host these files, wont it also be illegal for modmyi.com members to host these file in the forums as its still indirectly hosting within this site?

Also I agree with Reeko on the argument that a pre modded .ipsw is not that much of a use at the moment because if you think about it, how long does it take to do a full hack on the iPhone with ZiPhone 2.5, it took me about the same time as to go and make a cup of tea and a couple of slices of toast one morning and it takes maybe 3 - 4 minutes to do a restore/upgrade through iTunes. Also the more applications/files you add to the modded .ipsw file the longer it will take to restore/upgrade.

I still think this is an amazing breakthrough in development for the iPhone but at the moment its easier just to use ZiPhone although I feel that if the 1.2 software proves to be extremely hard to jailbreak, unlock & activate then the modded .ipsw route will be much easier and safer to do.
    Last edited by mwr_allen; 03-10-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ver. Iplus 2.0 is very sweet and 2.1 isn't far behind, http://ipluspwns.blogspot.com

Thanks

this is going to be great but will it work when we upgrade to 1.2 or 2.0?