Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Icy (Installer 5)

Wink uninstall cyntact. It worked for me. I saw it on another forum (cant remember where)
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    I have installed icy.app through cydia on a jailbroken/unlocked 3g iphone and it won't run no matter what I do. Have tried manually installing through WinSCP setting all the permissions correctly and it crashes upon opening.

So then I tried on my unlocked/jailbroken 2g iPhone and it again crashes upon opening. Tried manually installing and setting permission correctly and even upped the permissions to chmod 777 and still nothing.

Any suggestions would be great.
    uninstall cyntact. It worked for me. I saw it on another forum (cant remember where, sorry...)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

Rip dev should go find a dark dirty little corner and go and curl up in it for ever. They failed misserably with installer4 and now have the cheek to piggy back of Jays excellent app Cydia. Its a p*ss take come on people open your eyes.

Remember they are greedy people that will obviously do anything to try and get a piece of the action, they can not be relied upon to keep any of there apps up to date and will stoop low very low when they need to.

I will not be installing anything from rip dev. I've got to much respect for Jay and absolutly none for rip dev. It proper anoys me that there getting the attention there getting, they just don't deserve it.

Winterboard v Kate senario
    SbSettings v Hood
    Quickpwn v Pusher
    MobileSubstrate v ripdevsversion psudosubstrate or whatever it's called
    Cydia v Icy

Do none of you see a patern here?

My 2 cent worth
    Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 04-06-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I am sticking with Cydia. I don't have the slow factor that a lot of people are talking about here. It was that way a few releases ago, but now Cydia is very fast on my phone.

Let's get one thing straight here: Icy doesn't piggyback on Cydia. In fact you can remove Cydia if you want, Icy will work just fine without it.
    Cydia and Icy just use the same TOOLS and PROTOCOLS to download and install application, that's all.
    Saurik didn't invent DKPG or APT, he just adopted it for the iphone. DKPG and APT are both big heavy scripts though, and ripdev rewrote em from scratch to cut it down from 32mb to 3mb.

Dont knock Icy if you haven't got a clue what you're talking about.
    That said, there's still a few bugs. Mainly it tends to hang updating sources every now and often.

Quote Originally Posted by RpR View Post
    Let's get one thing straight here: Icy doesn't piggyback on Cydia. In fact you can remove Cydia if you want, Icy will work just fine without it.
    Cydia and Icy just use the same TOOLS and PROTOCOLS to download and install application, that's all.
    Saurik didn't invent DKPG or APT, he just adopted it for the iphone. DKPG and APT are both big heavy scripts though, and ripdev rewrote em from scratch to cut it down from 32mb to 3mb.

Dont knock Icy if you haven't got a clue what you're talking about.
    That said, there's still a few bugs. Mainly it tends to hang updating sources every now and often.
    I wish I could get it to work. No one responded to my request. I even emailed RipDev but they don't seem to know how to help me lol. And I'm not restoring again until 3.0. So, I guess I won't be using Icy.
    Big kid playing with iPhone! Learning as I go...

wow..this is wonderful news! going to try out icy right now!

btw, there is the "more info" page in Icy aswell, just click the little arrow to the right of the application / theme etc. and you'll be taken to it, including it's advertisement, so dont say it's all stripped folks. I dont see any reason to not use Icy, it's a lot faster than Cydia.

Thanks

People should do a little home work on what rip dev are about and the dirty little tricks theve got up to nevermind the way they have slaged of some of the best devs around.

They want your money full stop end off, they dont offer any support on any of there apps and they dont care about you.

They see a good idea and they try and copy it, instead of doing something original.

eg. Installer 4 - they bought from Nulriver
    Kate copied from Customise
    Pusher copied from Quickpwn
    desktop-installerApp copied from Rockmyiphone
    Hood copied from SBSettings
    PsudoSubstrate (or whatever its called) copied from MobileSubstrate
    Icy copied from Cydia

I belive in credit were credits due but rip dev dont deserve any

Full stop end of argument. i'm right and if you dont agree your wrong.

lol ha ha
    Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 04-07-2009 at 04:42 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Real_Iphonecrazy For This Useful Post:

wgm214 (04-08-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Real_Iphonecrazy View Post
    People should do a little home work on what rip dev are about and the dirty little tricks theve got up to nevermind the way they have slaged of some of the best devs around.

They want your money full stop end off, they dont offer any support on any of there apps and they dont care about you.

They see a good idea and they try and copy it, instead of doing something original.

eg. Installer 4 - they bought from Nulriver
    Kate copied from Customise
    Pusher copied from Quickpwn
    desktop-installerApp copied from Rockmyiphone
    Hood copied from SBSettings
    PsudoSubstrate (or whatever its called) copied from MobileSubstrate
    Icy copied from Cydia

I belive in credit were credits due but rip dev dont deserve any

Full stop end of argument. i'm right and if you dont agree your wrong.

lol ha ha
    In my experience most things they copy don't work nearly as well as the original. They come with a lot of bugs the mess with the iphone. I do however like hood only because it frees up space better than processes on sbsettings, that and they're no ads in hood.

Thanks

@gladesmellzgood

at least someome else knows whats what.

I to like Hood, its a shame rip dev dont come up with there own idea's. They'd earn a lot more respect if they did. but I dont see them changing there too greedy.
    Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 04-07-2009 at 05:12 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

so rip dev stands for,
    "we RIP the DEVs off of all their ideas, even their names"?

figures

i remember growin up hearin my dad say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

they are offering a buggy alternative to a tried and true method, and reccomend not running both but dumping cydia altogether???

get outta here with that crap!

Well, I finally got Icy installed. And I did it by restoring my iPhone. I didn't restore JUST to get Icy lol. It needed it. I hadn't restored since the day firmware 2.2 was released. And I noticed that a lot of things have been going wrong lately. But hey I have to admit that's the longest I've gone without having to restore EVER! I'd say that's a great record.

As for Icy, I like it. I don't really give a crap what installer there is to get apps. As long as it works. I will still use Cydia, I do on rare occasions still use Installer 4. And now it looks like I will use Icy a lot. It's all about preference. I'm not abandoning Cydia but I will also use Icy. I could have just as easily chose NOT to install Installer with QuickPWN but I chose to install. You never know what can happen. At anytime Installer might be all there is for whatever reason.

It makes more sense to broaden ones horizons and not be so closed minded because of what a developer has done. I'm sure many of you still hate on Zibri maker of ZiPhone lol. But hey even if he did copy something from someone else it worked extremely well for me. I'm not for stealing and ALL for giving credit where credit is do. If he didn't give proper credit then that's on him. ZiPhone apparently had some vulnerabilities in it as explained by BigBoss but it never failed me when I needed it.

Now we have Icy. And it appears people are spewing venom at RipDev for copying Cydia. I've had some negative dealings with RipDev in the past in the form of them making Kate not compatible with Winterboard. THAT pissed me off! But I have gotten over it and moved on. All I really care about now is using my iPhone to the best of it's ability. So, saying that I will keep the Big 3. Because whether we like it or not the big 3 are in this order... ---> CYDIA, INSTALLER, ICY...

I say bring it on. The iPhone can only get better at this point with things like Palm's PRE for Sprint coming out. This is gonna be FUN!!!!!!! ^_^

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

How is Icy faster? You still have to do a sources refresh to get the newest additions to show up and the "more info" section...doesn't show anything in mine?

The advantages of Icy are yet to be realised... RipDev, now has 15 coders/desingers/whatever. Jay is just a freelance. I'm not saying Cydia is crap - it is brilliant, and the communities would be very different without it at the moment, but he has failed a bit in his priorites. He said himself that he puts speed at the bottom of the list, not what everyone else wants. Sure there are errors and bugs in Icy, but why not give it a chance?

with all of the new stuff coming out in 3.0 ... its really R.I.P. RipDev!

Some people trust the RipDev team.
    They are welcome to ICY.

I don't and will stick with Cydia until something better comes along.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I think Icy is here to stay. And more people are using it than I think they will admit lol. I however will never abandon Cydia because it is more stable than Icy in many regard. However, if I need a quick interface for installing Icy is the winner at the moment until Saurik speeds Cydia up. In fact that's my only gripe with Cydia is that it is slower and crashes upon certain uses causing me to have to reload and redownload a package. If Saurik can work that type of stuff out there will be no real need for Icy. In the meantime it's a passable alternative regardless of the opposition to it.

I don't think that many people are using ICY.
    Lots of people distrust RipDev so much they won't allow anything of theirs near their iPhone.
    Myself included.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I agree with the mistrust but disagree with the usage. Works fine for me. Now just need to wait for Saurik to update Cydia for speed and memory issues. After that I won't need Icy anymore lol.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast