Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Icy (Installer 5)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo_316 View Post
    ...On top of that my impression of both the ripDev team and Jay Freeman (Saurik) is that they are not in this for fame or money, they are in this to bring useful features and additions to our phones and take away apples control over the things WE bought and supposedly own (Apple seems to have the idea that they still own our phones) I jailbreak iPhones, and other phones too, for friends just out of moral obligation haha!

That's just my two cents! Feel free to discuss!

~*Apollo*~
    I disagree. While they may not be in it for the fame, money is a factor. Saurik gets a cut of every app sold or something to that effect. I venture to say that it started out as a project for Saurik and he saw an oppurtunity to make some money for his efforts. I applaud him for that.

I know he's done a ton for the community and we all appreciate it, but do not ever think money is not a factor. It's capitalism at its best. If people will buy it people will sell it.

I feel safe knowing that Saurik will continue to provide us with a vehicle to get free apps and that the spirit of Cydia will still be a community of people wanting 'cool' things for our jailbroken phones. At the same time I think Saurik is looking for a commercial angle and wouldn't be mad at him for making a buck.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    I disagree. While they may not be in it for the fame, money is a factor. Saurik gets a cut of every app sold or something to that effect. I venture to say that it started out as a project for Saurik and he saw an oppurtunity to make some money for his efforts. I applaud him for that.

I know he's done a ton for the community and we all appreciate it, but do not ever think money is not a factor. It's capitalism at its best. If people will buy it people will sell it.

I feel safe knowing that Saurik will continue to provide us with a vehicle to get free apps and that the spirit of Cydia will still be a community of people wanting 'cool' things for our jailbroken phones. At the same time I think Saurik is looking for a commercial angle and wouldn't be mad at him for making a buck.
    ^^ Saurik is in it for the community. Free is the underlying factor there. The only reason he has started selling anything or putting ads into cydia is to compensate for the huge load on the servers ( $$$ ) that the millions of jailbroken iphone users pillage on a daily basis. His intentions were never and still arent to get rich off of this. If it happens good for him but he has selflessly toiled over this and us for two years now to bring us to where we are now. Just say "Thank You" and understand that there are people that do things for the love of it not just for a buck.

furthermore the guys at ripdev have more concerned with making money far longer than many in the community. think caterpillar or kate... theyve been charging for apps for a long time. no selflessness there
    Last edited by rwin84; 04-01-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: additional info
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rwin84 For This Useful Post:

skj8100 (04-01-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone blazingangel1986's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gsr101 View Post
    yeah =(
    i thik cydia is still beter
    I agree cydia is still gr8 the app piggy backs off of cydia lol wow and there are no categories makes things a little hectic ill be getting rid of this now Installer had its time too lol wow i remeber those days
    www.ccbahamas.co.nr

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    ^^ Saurik is in it for the community. Free is the underlying factor there. The only reason he has started selling anything or putting ads into cydia is to compensate for the huge load on the servers ( $$$ ) that the millions of jailbroken iphone users pillage on a daily basis. His intentions were never and still arent to get rich off of this. If it happens good for him but he has selflessly toiled over this and us for two years now to bring us to where we are now. Just say "Thank You" and understand that there are people that do things for the love of it not just for a buck.

furthermore the guys at ripdev have more concerned with making money far longer than many in the community. think caterpillar or kate... theyve been charging for apps for a long time. no selflessness there
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on some points. Other points were on the same page. I agree that Saurik is here for the community. I've said as much. But is he going to turn down a chance go make money? No.

I relaize there are people out there that do things for the love it but on a whole, those people are far and few between.

If he can make money I support him. If he wants to I do it for free I support him. But I still think he would be crazy not to try to turn a buck.

Good discussion!

Default Icy Crashes after 5+ seconds each time...
    Well, I tried to install Icy from Installer 4. It installed InstallerApp Support and then Icy. During installation my phone hung and then rebooted. I hate when that happens. I knew from there it was going to be an issue. My phone came back online and the Icy icon wasn't there. Obviously because of the sudden reboot during it's installation. So I went back into Installer and uninstalled Icy and InstallerApp Support and attempted to reinstall both.

I'm silly for even attempting to install it from Installer I know. But there seem to be 2 different versions of the InstallerApp Support program. Now I get an error whenever it tries to apparently install the older version which is version 1.24-2. The newest version is 1.25-2. I think it's confused now. In any event I got Icy and InstallerApp Support 1.25-2 installed and closed Installer. Icy appeared on my home screen after a brief freeze up (Installer does that on my phone).

I opened Icy and apparently it works....for about 5 seconds before it crashes to my home screen. I can look at the Sources, Installed and About tabs and see all the info there before it crashes. It crashes each time. I uninstalled and reinstalled from Installer a number of times. Same thing is happening. SO then I decided to add the source to Cydia and install it from there. I had uninstalled everything from Installer before this of course. Cydia installed Icy with no problem. However, I'm still having the same problem.

I honestly want to try Icy out for myself to see what is all the buzz. But I can't because it crashes back to my home screen after 5 seconds. I suppose I can email RipDev but they annoyed me many months ago when I was emailing them back and forth over the whole Kate and Winterboard incompatibility fiasco.. Before I break down and actually email them has anyone here had the same issue I'm having and fixed it? If not I guess I will email them...........................................
    Big kid playing with iPhone! Learning as I go...

Thanks

Ahh, this thread just brought back memories, does anyone remember using this installer?

The earlier days of jailbreaking :')

I still use Installer lol. But the only thing I actually have installed from it is "Rename" because for some reason I couldn't get it in Cydia. I keep Installer 4 just in case as a last resort back up if for some reason Cydia is unusable or dies and I reeeeeeally don't feel like restoring and rejailbreaking (I haven't restored or rejailbroken since the 2.2 firmware update. I'm on a role so far "knocks on wood"). Of course in the event of Icy I actually used it again. But I remember the Installer heyday in the Firmware 1.1.4 days. Ahhh now those were some real good memories.
    Big kid playing with iPhone! Learning as I go...

"Good artists create... Great artists steal."

guess where that one is from!!! hahaha!

but in all seriousness, I think it'd be nice to keep some variety, regardless of what is piggybacking off of what.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

interesting... 

neat! cant wait to try it out.
    iPhone 1st Gen - 8GB - Edge - 2G, Jailbroken - 3.1.3 whited00r.
    iPhone 3G - 16GB, 4.2.1
    iPhone 4 - 32GB, 4.0.2
    iPod Video 5.5G - 80GB - 1.3.

Will install Icy when I get home as I have an iPod touch and my wifi at work is offline right now, but it looks clean but as far as merging with Saurik, I don't think he will do it as a dev is a dev and holds his land to himself.

Sharing is not an option for most devs in this generation.
    Best Regards,
    Steven Myers

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i personally dont care if its called cydia, installer 4, installer 5, icy, crap on a stick, iphone crasher.
    hell call it whatever.
    as long as i can get what i need when i need it and it doesnt crash my phone, its cool with me.
    but seriously, we only need one.
    cydia works just fine
    installer4 is gabage

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tattoojack For This Useful Post:

mofolo (04-03-2009)

Thumbs down Icy is not doing as good as promised
    Hi,

I found one thing that is strange in Icy. It is the same regardless if you run Icy 1.0 or 1.1.

The problem is that som categories that are visible in Cydia, as they should, is not visible in Icy. For instance the Alohasoft Category that came from an installer source I added by myself.

I suspect Icy can not handle that correctly. I think that is BAD.

My vote still goes to Cydia as always.

Banned
    Thanks

Icy is ok. But I'm sticking with cydia for now.

I have installed icy.app through cydia on a jailbroken/unlocked 3g iphone and it won't run no matter what I do. Have tried manually installing through WinSCP setting all the permissions correctly and it crashes upon opening.

So then I tried on my unlocked/jailbroken 2g iPhone and it again crashes upon opening. Tried manually installing and setting permission correctly and even upped the permissions to chmod 777 and still nothing.

Any suggestions would be great.
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    i personally dont care if its called cydia, installer 4, installer 5, icy, crap on a stick, iphone crasher.
    hell call it whatever.
    as long as i can get what i need when i need it and it doesnt crash my phone, its cool with me.
    but seriously, we only need one.
    cydia works just fine
    installer4 is gabage
    Words of Wisdom.
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

RipDev just needs to either help Saurik with his product or give up! Cydia IS the Installer for 2.x firmware. Making a competition wont do anything because devs arent getting paid for anything and RipDev has a terrible reputation for all of the stuff he has done in the past. Bottom line, help Saurik, or get out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i am using icy on 3.0 and it works great, i like it alot and i hate to say it but it is a great alternative to cydia

all that it is missing is updates section

as much as i hate ripdev i have to say that i love icy

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Installer has been here from day 1.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    i am using icy on 3.0 and it works great, i like it alot and i hate to say it but it is a great alternative to cydia

all that it is missing is updates section

as much as i hate ripdev i have to say that i love icy
    Haha couldnt agree with you more dude. I love it its so quick and responsive and i dont have to wait 2 minutes when ever i start it for the updating to refresh. There is an Updates section under installed at the top right corner but i believe that only shows updates for installed things. Some one correct me if im wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast