+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Firmware 2.0 - Discussion

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I must be honest, and i find apple's paradoxal aproach always funny. They release an SDK and one firmware beta for tests. Its almost like saying "people here is the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I must be honest, and i find apple's paradoxal aproach always funny. They release an SDK and one firmware beta for tests. Its almost like saying "people here is the lock, and here are the tools! Get it open!". I think with native iphone program language it will even easier to unlock and jailbreak an iphone. I sometimes get myself thinking, it just feels like apple always leaves some doors open. All firmwares were breakble. Except 1.1.2. And as i recall it was released after att complained about the diference between bought and activated iphones. I think deep inside El Jobso suports our cause.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This may be a dumb question & it may be too early BUT...
    For someone with AT&T would there be any benefits to jailbreaking 2.0?
    Given things like customize will eventually be able to work with the new coding?
    Or do you suspect that file altering apps like customize and summerboard or even file browsing apps wont fly with the AppStore?

Thanks

Well right now all I'm glad about is that they are finally getting it to work with exchange and activesync...

I just really don't understand these companies that create this great device and have the ability to actually fulfill a user's expectations but don’t...If they did it right in the first place we wouldn't have to hack anything and they would have tripled their sales when it first came out...like accessing LEAP wireless networks, MMS, exchange email, activesync, FLASH, etc...

I LOVE the iPhone but the horror to keep it the way I want is such a hassle...With that, PRAISE TO ALL THE DEVs…without any of you I would just have a plain boring iPhone…

APPLE really needs to loosen their sphincter A LOT more than they have…I think I’ve ranted enough on my first post…sorry…

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by croix View Post
    This may be a dumb question & it may be too early BUT...
    For someone with AT&T would there be any benefits to jailbreaking 2.0?
    Given things like customize will eventually be able to work with the new coding?
    Or do you suspect that file altering apps like customize and summerboard or even file browsing apps wont fly with the AppStore?
    You're going to have to jailbreak to do that. 3rd-party apps are limited to their own "folder". In other words, they can't access any information from any other app, such as the sprinboard. The only exceptions are things like data from EDGE/Wifi and pictures from the camera.

Also, regarding IM software... given how they've set up current 3rd-party applications, I don't think we'll be seeing a true IM app like the one everyone dreams of. Since apps close when not used or switched to something else, you'd be having the same issue as webapps, forcing you to reconnect every time. Now I think it's the sidekick or flip (someone feel free to correct me on this one) that has a pretty nice solution to this problem. What they do is have an IM service running elsewhere on their servers. When you log in your phone you're actually logging in to their servers, which then connects to the AIM or whatever. So to everyone else you remain online and never disconnect until you choose to. Your phone then can periodically ping the server to check if you have any new messages. Honestly I don't see something like this happening and I doubt the AIM app we saw works like this, but it would be awesome to have it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

Sparblaze (03-09-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

iWill donate a $1000 dollars to a developer who creates an 3rd-Party iPhone native iM program smiliar to the SideKick or better. Meanin' that iT has AOL, Yahoo, and MSN messagin' and iS able to run In the background. iHave both the Helio Ocean and iPhone only because one can do what the other can't. Ugh Apple...iPray to God the second generation iPhone has everythin' we be cravin' for. (i.e. GPS, Flash, MMS, Copy/Paste, iM, Video record, etc.)

Thanks

Relax iBizzle. With the SDK out, its only opening doors for options. Just have patience to see what is implemented now...

Reako

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    iWill donate a $1000 dollars to a developer who creates an 3rd-Party iPhone native iM program smiliar to the SideKick or better. Meanin' that iT has AOL, Yahoo, and MSN messagin' and iS able to run In the background. iHave both the Helio Ocean and iPhone only because one can do what the other can't. Ugh Apple...iPray to God the second generation iPhone has everythin' we be cravin' for. (i.e. GPS, Flash, MMS, Copy/Paste, iM, Video record, etc.)
    Not sure if you missed it in my previous post, but what you want is impossible given how the sidekick IM works unless someone comes not only with a 3-rd party app, but also with the service to run the way you want it to. It's going to take more than just a developer to get a true IM app.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Also, regarding IM software... given how they've set up current 3rd-party applications, I don't think we'll be seeing a true IM app like the one everyone dreams of. Since apps close when not used or switched to something else, you'd be having the same issue as webapps, forcing you to reconnect every time. Now I think it's the sidekick or flip (someone feel free to correct me on this one) that has a pretty nice solution to this problem. What they do is have an IM service running elsewhere on their servers. When you log in your phone you're actually logging in to their servers, which then connects to the AIM or whatever. So to everyone else you remain online and never disconnect until you choose to. Your phone then can periodically ping the server to check if you have any new messages. Honestly I don't see something like this happening and I doubt the AIM app we saw works like this, but it would be awesome to have it.
    Well with Chat from Installer you can still receive IM's even if you have returned to the home screen or another app as long as you don't select sign off from the chat screen

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

well we will see if it is 2.0, i mean the jobs siad it was, so its ture, anything he says is true, because he well never says anything ha. but anyways, i see alot coming from this sdk, i mean their will be great games and programs. nothing we have seen before, but the jailbreaking will survive and unlocking will never ever go away. but we will see. they gave developers 3 months to make amazing programs to make the appstore look perfect when it is avaiable. but there will be no summerboard, there will be no nes, no snes, no customize, no extended preferences. the list could go on for almost ever :-/. to bad :-/.

Thanks

I was just thinking, if someone implements the program Insomnia into a bug free IM app, and that would probably work...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by croix View Post
    Well with Chat from Installer you can still receive IM's even if you have returned to the home screen or another app as long as you don't select sign off from the chat screen
    This is how things work now. As stated in the SDK, apps will no longer do this in 2.0. Why? I have no idea.

Is it June yet?

Thanks

I don't know about anyone else, but I wish someone would figure out a way to write an app for A2DP support. I know I would pay big bucks for it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

u can't for the 100000000000 time its a hard wear deal. Ya two words

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pcuserforever View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I wish someone would figure out a way to write an app for A2DP support. I know I would pay big bucks for it.
    If the hardware doesn't support it then it can't happen. However I'm not sure what the bluetooth hardware is in the iPhone and what it is capable of supporting. Maybe that it was left out of the firmware due to power requirements
    Last edited by imode; 03-09-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    If the hardware doesn't support it then it can't happen. However I'm not sure what the bluetooth hardware is capable of supporting. Maybe that it was left out due to power requirements
    I would like to think that power was the reason.
    hey pingwhen, I called apple support the second week after the phone came out and was told that the hardware DOES support A2DP! So either apple support has their head up their a**, (which they very well could) or you have no clue what you are talking about! Two words back at ya!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the mobile AIM they made in 2 weeks that they showed looks badass. apollo and mobilechat blow compared to it, even if it does only support AIM.

hopefully some 3rd party apps are able to run in the background....im sure they will make exceptions for some programs though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pcuserforever View Post
    Well it looks to me like the new firmware is getting A2DP and lots of other new things Mr. Jobs didn't want to share with us just yet, so far from my scouring of the SDK I have found:

- Numerous references to A2DP in the MobileBluetooth Framework, and the code for A2DP connections is littered throughout the Bluetooth Server binaries!
    - References to new applications called Radio, Convertor, Business, Translator, Videos and Keyboard in the SpringBoard .plist files
    - Interesting frameworks related to the import of Office and iWork files, including support for the Office 2007 XML format

Will post if find more info..

UPDATE:

- VCard send/receive support in the Bluetooth server
    - Obex support for the send/receive files via Bluetooth (may just be for VCard)
    - Bluetooth Modem support (Also seems to be for wireless synching)
    Last edited by westferrycircus; 03-09-2008 at 05:22 AM.

Thanks

If what is above this post is correct, then we are in for quite an enhancement. BTW, the iPhone allegedly uses the CSR BlueCore4 chip. And it DOES support A2DP and even AVRCP. I don't know where you got your info from...

I would love to see this in the update. An internet radio app would be awesome too. I like iRadio, but it really isn't kept updated at all... (At least recently) This is all part of Apples marketing scheme; It is so like them. They come out with the device, and all the early adopters buy in. They then let it sit out there, release a larger capacity version, and now this update. It keeps reeling in new adopters. I bet that most if not all of these 'new' features have been ready since day one, they were/are just milking the success of releasing these features, one- and two- at a time As long as I can downgrade back to f/w revisions that have been jailbroken, then I have no issue
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patrickj View Post

Only one iPhone application can run at a time, and third-party applications never run in the background. This means that when users switch to another application, answer the phone, or check their email, the application they were using quits. Itís important to make sure that users do not experience any negative effects because of this reality. In other words, users should not feel that leaving your iPhone application and returning to it later is any more difficult than switching among applications on a computer.
    so how am i listening to music and surfing the net at the same time on my iphone?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dmber View Post
    so how am i listening to music and surfing the net at the same time on my iphone?
    Thats for the 3rd party application restriction.

Safari and iPod app isnt 3rd party applications.